What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
At least you've got to give Josh credit for consistency, looks as though his Readable Virus has infected Widdop and the rest of the team has been dropping everything in the confusion, anyway

I like the mongrel Carter brings to the Rabbitohs, not quite the Te'o standard but he's still a pup. The Roosters will have to continue improving exponentially but the signs are good. If the game goes as expected, and not worse than, all is well in Bondi

After the Belmore showing the Eels/Raiders game could be match of the round . . . pity it's being refereed by Ponce & Gnome

Turbo Jake back combined with the showing Manly put on against the Rabbitohs will test the Warriors . . . f**k it, I give up

Panthers with the new set of balls could ruffle the Cowboys, the Penrith humidity may triumph over the Townsville variety if the milk vendors play the 80

No way the Titans can beat the Sharks . . . what's that you say

Good thing about the Knights at home to the Tigers, someone will turn up to watch

One minute I'm pissing myself laughing over the Belmore result and the next I'm contemplating Hasler retribution at AAMI, Melbourne probably played the worse of the two last weekend and won . . . not a tantalising vibe to be found

POPEYE

Coach
Fair suck of the sav, Napa might've played well but old timers will tell you why not, it's every strapping mobile front rower's job to do exactly that. Playing for opposition capitulation and not just 20 minute cameos in the limelight is not forgotten by some of us

The idea of going all out in the 'softening up period' and holding the fort as long as possible was reincarnated last night, Napa's effort was only successful because his team mates caught on . . . a fine team effort

Of course wankers will be out to remind us the Rabbitohs are in disarray but they didn't lose the game, the Roosters won it. Souths could've got across the line against most teams on last night's effort but the Roosters played like they needed the win

POPEYE

Coach
Best thing about the Eels/Raiders game was the confirmation that Arthur has given the joint some balls, f**ked if I'm sure what Sticky has brought to Canberra, wishful thinking way in front of good vibes

I was sidetracked by longnecks in a spasmodic viewing of the Warriors/Seagles game but couldn't help comparing the event to the sinking of the Bismarck . . . a mighty ship being rudderless is surreal

Cowboys did what they needed to do, I will watch a Monday replay before I can fully appreciate how they did it

POPEYE

Coach
Watching the Knights/Tigers game I was reminded that too much is made of 'showpony' players, not saying bums on seats don't matter or everyone shouldn't have a hero but RL is more than just high-fiving and tattoos

Spare a thought for players who prefer common sense over notoriety. The look on coach Brown's face when his winger decided a place on the big screen was more important than getting run over the sideline on an early tackle was worth a thousand words . . . crikey, imagine the slapping if he was in close proximity

Won't be long it seems and I will be apologising to Neil Henry for deserting him, maybe he did get the Cowboys to the vinegar stroke and maybe it was just injuries at the wrong time that prevented him from taking them to the orgasm cup. If overcoming absenteeism is his go he certainly is a glutton for punishment. Jack would say the Titans done good

POPEYE

Coach
Seems the Dogs have taken over from the Warriors as the Storm bogey team, not sure which I dislike more, Canterbury winning games or Melbourne losing them. Since the vibes were so ominous beforehand I didn't even bother watching the game, guess I knew the Dogs were beaten by the Raiders only because they had their minds on the following week at AAMI

I like to think Melbourne are out of tune because their key players are considering what they have to do later in the season, pity they are least affected by form than any other team. The Melbourne Kiwis will be going to England and their Origin players will remain Origin players no matter what. Bellamy needs form to be the only prerequisite for rep teams, he has made a rod for his own back . . . surprised I haven't heard a Doggie 'hallelujah'

Speaking of vibes, when I'm engrossed in a premonition before a game I sometimes wonder why I don't open a betting account, without reservation I was convinced the Seagles/Knights/Dogs were going to win hours before each game. Maybe its because the insidious gambling permeating the game deems appreciating the procedure secondary

POPEYE

Coach
Have a feeling the Seagles will topple the Eels, nothing substantial like an ominous vibe mind you. It is extremely important to Manly they win this one whereas Arthur would be content with a close game and particularly no injuries. Then again this game could usurp all others as a spectacle

Cowboys to beat the Rabbitohs for the same reason they and the Broncos won the lottery last year, teams with the least disruptions always have an advantage. Player interchange management may become the new art form but injury prevention procedures are the secret weapon

Speaking of which the closer the Titans get to a 1%er the more trouble they are going to cause, the more players that step up to fill the breach the less likely they are to lay down . . . I'm enthused. The Dragons on the other hand wear the patch but are riding scooters, Badger & Butler will only add to the confusion

F**k I hope Shaun ignores his mirror and throws on the overalls, what better game to finally earn his money than against the Dogs. NZ reminds me of Ireland, a mob of tough men trying to find a #7 versus a pot of gold

Broncos/Knights could be interesting . . . why I'm not sure

Raiders/Sharks could be match of the round, just about anything unforseen could happen in this game

Tigers $2.30 and the Storm $1.65 at Leichhardt Castle with Klein refereeing . . . even Woods sitting on the sideline would tell you they're f**king dreaming

Second thoughts, Roosters/Panthers may be match of the round when it really shouldn't. Reminds me of Somali pirates attacking a supertanker, the contest surreal but the outcome anyone's guess

POPEYE

Coach
We're certainly learning who's Arthur or Martha out Parramatta way, maybe the Eels got 'what goes round comes around' in the Bunker stakes but cajones were the winner on the night. Not just the Jennings Midas touch or Foran never-say-die, the coach can have the kudos as far as I'm concerned

POPEYE

Coach
Alright, so where are we at so far, the 'Untouchables' is a growing group with Bellamy, Bennett, Green, Hasler, Robinson and Maguire now filling its ranks and injury their only real enemy. What of the rest

Arthur has almost convinced us he's on the cusp of greatness, probably already rubbing shoulders with the nobility. All he needs is the Green scenario where roster stability for the season will ensure more than just a shot at the cup for the club but a personal 'never look back'

Hook imo is underrated as is Flanagan, methodical chalk and cheese maybe but if they too had the advantage of a stable roster their positions would be nowhere near as tenuous as some people think

Taylor and McFadden need to break the Farah/Johnson shackles if they want to reach the light at tunnel's end, its not unforseen circumstances that will ruin their season

Sticky imagines he's a Ferrari but is really a hot rod, almost as quick when not breaking down but just as interesting if not something you'd risk driving to work in. Brown and Mary are looking for a way out of no-man's land, reorganising the chairs on a Titanic deck before hopefully being pulled from the briny

Atm believe it or not the more interesting of the coaching brigade to me are Henry and Barrett. I thought earlier in the season they wouldn't progress as far as they have if at all. As it turns out they have one thing in common with the Untouchables . . . injury is their only real enemy

POPEYE

Coach
Green now being beyond recrimination I'd be interested to know which of his mob he'd swap for an established 'notable' from another club. Not talking about the players that may have to give way to promising youngsters sooner or later but someone he thinks he needs right now

My guess is he doesn't give a shit who's better, Austin or Milford, he wouldn't swap Morgan and neither would I. The difference between Tedesco and Coote is nowhere near enough to risk team harmony, wouldn't get any more out of any other Centres than he does from Linnett or O'Neill

Cooper and Granville are no brainers, even Cam Smith not needed here, are there better wingers than Feldt and Winterstein. Forwards doing all that is asked and is there a better bench. This mob intact are the team to beat for The Shield and they are as good a chance as 'tails' in the cup 2-up

POPEYE

Coach
So what if the Dragons needed the Titans to play ESL footy, a win is a win and Mary will tell you a f**king smile is a smile. Had to feel sorry for Henry, he had the look of a man finding another bloke in bed with his missus . . . let's hope she's got it out of her system

It's another 'hallelujah' from me, I don't care how the Warriors did it . . . can't judge a book by its cover

I didn't bother watching the last game, for Brown's sake all I can do is hope the Broncos played once a year footy. Haven't read anything about the games but it does look like rain today so I'm not complaining about the clouds

. . . and, don't you love 5 day turn arounds

Not too late to add that whoever thinks Bodene just another journeyman is a wanker

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
The Sharks need to wear 1% patches, if any team needs to be called the Mongrel Mob they're it. Whathisname, the dickhead on the Fox panel beside Gasnier and Voss, reckons Farah is the front runner for NSW Origin . . . Gaz wanted to say fmd but couldn't, Ennis on his mind

Just as well I'd like to see any of a few teams win the Cup, Melbourne have sfa chance of winning the Shield . . . and golden point is f**king bullshit

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, my wish list is taking a hammering, even with RTS injured there's still no chance McFadden will move Shaun away from the decision making, no wonder Townsend who I thought was a dud found an excuse to desert ship. Isaac runs direct, can he kick tactically . . . I've forgotten . . . be too strange to see him in #7. Warriors now in my too hard basket

Does Taylor have to persevere with Farah/Brooks/Moses. Why does he have to put up with Robbie's predictability or Mitchell's poor 5th tackle kicking . . . Tedesco deserves better spine partners

Titans fell apart without the Bird mongrel, I hate to think the f**kwit is all that stands between a fairytail and a wet bed. Haven't given up hope for a top 8 berth if a hiccup hasn't led to choking

As it stands now my 'best scenario' is a Cowboy Shield and an Eels/Sharks cup final and that's only because my fingers are crossed against injury . . . the real determining factor for most of my combatants in a successful season

POPEYE

Coach
Thurston may be the most valuable player in the game but Maloney is RL's version of Jango Fett, if he could be cloned several teams would be turned into juggernauts simply by adding one of him. You'd pick Maloney to be cloned above everyone else because not only is he talented he is cunning, remorseless, unforgiving and totally ruthless

Melbourne would grow exponentially if he returned, Cronulla is what they are because of him, the Dogs would be unimaginable with him leading the way, the Warriors would return to their 'Maloney days' with him back showing Shaun . . . what the Tigers, Seagles, Titans and Rabbitohs could do with his clone is not rocket science

Which leads me to last night's game because Maloney was not there as he has been when the Roosters were the best team in the comp 3 years running. If he played for either team last night the other doesn't win, if he'd been there all year the Roosters would've hardly missed a beat . . . if the Panthers had him all year do the maths

POPEYE

Coach
Souths have at least one Burgess too many to do any real damage to the Broncos, they need Pittbulls like Blair and McGuire, cuddly Labradors will never do at Suncorp. Without Te'o or a bodyguard like him Sammy has changed from a cog to a dartboard . . . any joy for the Rabbitohs will be a bookie's delight

Not a good time for the Titans to face the Dogs, Dessie is a one legged cyclist and this week the pedal is on the top. I'd like nothing better than to see the cycle broken, Melbourne win when the Dogs lose, a Bird/Reynolds nosepicking contest the only uncertainty

Raiders/Tigers not to be missed, Hodgson will show Farah how Origin football should be played and Tedesco will hopefully prove how good he is behind Laurel & Hardy halves, hopefully not lost on Lozza. I'm not fussed on the Raiders halves either but there is interest all over the park . . . especially Addo-Carr who dreams of playing for Liverpool

Cowboys/Eels would have been a humdinger played at Mudgee, this game deserves a neutral venue, still has to be match of the round at this year's graveyard. Can imagine all the wives looking for hubbies at parties everywhere, find them in front of a tele comparing Foran/Norman against Thurston/Morgan . . . or Feldt v Radradra, or Jennings v O'Neill or . . .

If Maloney wasn't playing Soward mightn't have to face the teacher and Penrith might've had a chance . . . still, can't rule out a boilover

Will the Seagles be made to look better than they are as did the Broncos or will the Knights turn things around and get close. Can't help but be reminded that just as with Brian Smith not every lauded ESL coach is a Robbo . . . doesn't mean I've given up on Brownie yet

Dragons back on track and the Roosters derailed, not sure which train I'd rather be on, think I'll read a book beside the line and wait for the repair crew . . . Cummins & Devcich will have the contest as diabolical as possible

Like I said previously the Dogs should beat the Titans therefore Melbourne should lose to the Warriors, one up one down like a bum in a brothel. Not forgetting the Warriors are the Storm's nemesis and neither will play much better than the other without RTS/Slater I'm going to make a McFadden doll and stick pins in it

Jason Maher

Immortal
Farah wins the NSW number 9 by default. Ennis has been tried several times and has performed abysmally at Origin level. 9th time lucky perhaps? His club form since he joined Cronulla can't be denied. Other options are Mitch Rein, Nathan Peats, Isaac de Gois, Damien Cook, Cam McInnes, Michael Lichaa, Peter Wallace, Daniel Mortimer, Paul Carter, Craig Garvey, Tyler Randell, bringing Ryan Hinchcliffe back from overseas, or, knowing Laurie, Josh Jackson. While f**king Queensland have Smith, Granville, Friend, and Segeyaro. 4 hookers all better than our entire collection of elligible players.

Jimmy-o

Juniors
Pops, who's your early tip for Rookie of the Year? Have any new players really impressed you so far?

POPEYE

Coach
Farah wins the NSW number 9 by default. Ennis has been tried several times and has performed abysmally at Origin level. 9th time lucky perhaps? His club form since he joined Cronulla can't be denied. Other options are Mitch Rein, Nathan Peats, Isaac de Gois, Damien Cook, Cam McInnes, Michael Lichaa, Peter Wallace, Daniel Mortimer, Paul Carter, Craig Garvey, Tyler Randell, bringing Ryan Hinchcliffe back from overseas, or, knowing Laurie, Josh Jackson. While f**king Queensland have Smith, Granville, Friend, and Segeyaro. 4 hookers all better than our entire collection of elligible players.

Of all the players you mention Smith is the exception, NSW need to find an exception, the #9 doesn't have to be the most talented player on the field but he does have to be the most Rugby League wise . . . a Cool Hand Luke if you like

To be able to think one step ahead while topping the tackle count for 80 minutes requires more effort than any player on the field, far improved over the Hookers of yesteryear. Ffs, Sticky dug up a Pom that is the closest to Smith and Hook is trying to create one from spare parts . . . I reckon he has the right idea

Seems Maloney is on my mind but if a bloke like him could tackle to Smith's standard he would be a match for the Qld maestro. You might say NSW don't have the ability to grow or patience to create someone of that calibre but don't forget Qld will someday be faced with the same predicament . . . they don't have anyone near either

Btw, I couldn't be bothered with statistics, can you could tell me which of Farah or Ennis has been in the most winning NSW teams. Maybe even a record of the playmakers and forwards they tried to do it with

POPEYE

Coach
Pops, who's your early tip for Rookie of the Year? Have any new players really impressed you so far?

Imo the standout so far is Latrell Mitchell, I'm not a follower of any of the 'experts' who officially select these things so I've no idea and don't care who receives the gong. My old eyes however are certainly focussed on Mitchell

It's a shame he went from Wonderboy to wondering, instead of a job in manufacturing he has been given one in salvaging, just the same the kid exudes an air of confidence that belies his years. He is coping well with the change in direction, hopefully in the near future he will have the troops in front necessary to show us what he can do

Another bloke that has caught my eye is Te Maire Martin, there are a few gung-ho youngsters running around but he seems the most appreciative of the chance he's been given and should make the most of it

Also, whether or not he is called a rookie I like to watch Clinton Gutherson play

Last edited: