What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reebok in 2010

Doug2234

First Grade
Doug, I believe you are not correct. Adidas sales have gone through the roof and as such, they are looking to maximise their market share by increasing the revenue on their RBK branding and they see us as the best suckers to do this with (after it failed with Titans and Manly).

I own all the jerseys from late 70's on, and you will find almost all Saints fans would own more then one piece, this is a fact that not all league fans can claim.

How many times have you met a fan of another club and they don't own a single piece of merchandise and then think about your Saints acquaintances (even the ones that only get on us when we are winning).
Macca, this post was a few months ago! Sales as of late i agree would have gone through the roof, definently, but at the start of June when i originally posted it would have been only the die hard Dragons fan splashing the cash for a shiney new Dragons jersey every season. I do agree as of late (and with Dragons sitting top of the ladder) that yes the bandwagon supports now will be snapping up all avaliable Adidas branded merchandise because the team is exceeding expectations.

I dont believe it has failed with Titans. Adidas is the flagship brand - Reebok comes in second. Moving Titans to the flagship brand obviously has its pro's - additionally as my first post the Titans dont have any other past apparel supplier so at current Adidas(Reebok) have 100% of market share for Gold Coast Rugby League. Dragons on the other hand with there long history some supporters keep there pre Adidas jerseys - meaning Adidas can only have say 70% of the Dragons merchandise market!

Additionally i havent seen anything official in regards to Dragons moving to Reebok. Because of the above expectations performance of the might Red V this year Adidas might be content to leave the Dragons with Adidas... I would assume the Dragons merchandise this year has far out sold any Titans apparel.

Last edited:

silverex

Bench
Do people actually buy a new jersey every year??? I wish I could afford to do that.

I've only ever bought 2 jerseys, the first was in the late 60's and it was plain white with a full red V, no sponsors, no number, long sleeves. I can't remember if it even had the St George shield on it, and I wish I knew where the jersey was! At the same time I bought a pair of socks, white with red hoops, and I've still got those.

My second jersey I bought only 3-4 years ago.

A new one every year..........wow!

Doug2234

First Grade
I wouldnt say everyone buys a new one every year.... But there would be some that do I imagine..

The Nick

Bench
Adidas are great jersey's but they sell 2 different types.

One of which is the same that the players use and is worth about $200 and the other is for the suppprters which costs about $160 and is obviously a cheaper imitation, plus the fact the jersey has a million sponsors all over it who would want to buy one of these jerseys?

The training gear is good but really expensive and usually always sold out. Anyone know where I can get a training singlet from?

First of all mate, by the looks of the Dragon Army I don't think to many of us could get away with wearing an official player cut jersey :lol::lol::lol:

But good point about the sponsors - I often wonder why we have to pay so much goddamn money for the privilidge of advertising a heap of businesses. In my opinion there should be two versions of each strip available to buy - one jersey with no sponsors, and another cheaper jersey with all the sponsors (sponsors can supplement production costs, with the savings passed on to the customers - this is reasonable considering the amount of advertising they get each time we wear our jerseys - I mean Penfolds is still getting advertising via Dragons fans older jerseys).

Dragon Dave

Bench
First of all mate, by the looks of the Dragon Army I don't think to many of us could get away with wearing an official player cut jersey :lol::lol::lol:

But good point about the sponsors - I often wonder why we have to pay so much goddamn money for the privilidge of advertising a heap of businesses. In my opinion there should be two versions of each strip available to buy - one jersey with no sponsors, and another cheaper jersey with all the sponsors (sponsors can supplement production costs, with the savings passed on to the customers - this is reasonable considering the amount of advertising they get each time we wear our jerseys - I mean Penfolds is still getting advertising via Dragons fans older jerseys).

In saying that mate, sponsors pay the big bucks to get their brand out there, not just on the players but also in the streets.

I've seen NRL jerseys in Lowes for half the price of the official stuff and have no sponsors at all, just the V and the emblem.

Also, I think you'll find alot of people buy jerseys so that they are wearing the exact same thing as the players, including sponsors.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
In saying that mate, sponsors pay the big bucks to get their brand out there, not just on the players but also in the streets.

I've seen NRL jerseys in Lowes for half the price of the official stuff and have no sponsors at all, just the V and the emblem.

Also, I think you'll find alot of people buy jerseys so that they are wearing the exact same thing as the players, including sponsors.

It's lucky we're sponsored by St George Bank, imagine having a jersey with TV WEEK or COFFEE CLUB or something worse like so many ugly jerseys out there.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Official media release from the club sent out yesterday:

6 November 2009
DRAGONS ANNOUNCE NEW APPAREL SPONSOR

The St George Illawarra Dragons and global sportswear giant Reebok have today officially announced a four-year sponsorship deal, until the end of the 2013 season.

The new deal will see the Dragons and Reebok partner on a variety of strategic marketing, advertising, promotion and community initiatives and Dragons players and fans will have the opportunity to experience a wide range of apparel including technologically advanced products to enhance training and playing performance.

“Circumstances arose to enable us to exit one year early from our previous apparel supplier contract and we are delighted to have been able to secure a multi-year Partnership with one of the worlds leading global brands in Reebok,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

“Our arrangements with Reebok will see an improved financial return to the Club and an increase in the number and variety of products as well as other associated brands that will be beneficial to our players, Corporate Partners, Red V Members and fans”.

Similar history, corporate values and demographics make the Partnership a natural fit.

The St George Illawarra Dragons are a professional and innovative sporting club with a rich history in rugby league,” said Reebok Director Michael Hendler. “We too have been a respected leader within the sporting industry since 1895; it was a natural fit for Reebok to join forces with the Dragons in 2010”.

“Reebok has developed a strong standing in on-field apparel sponsorship and we believe this is an excellent opportunity to expand in the world of Rugby League”.

The St George Illawarra Dragons will join teams from the NFL, NHL, A-League, Bolton Wanderers (English Premier League), Port Adelaide, Richmond Tigers, Fremantle Dockers, Melbourne Demons, Adelaide Crows and Gold Coast Football Club in the AFL.

Official Dragons apparel designed and produced by Reebok will be available first at
www.dragons.com.au/shop from mid-November.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Johnsy, let it go son. We are not Liverpool FC.

Red V is the only jersey.

You Qlders... ;-)

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
IMO

This should be the away jersey

10632_143472644156_525314156_2733533_2366958_n.jpg

Just something I put together a while ago when i heard we were changing to reebok. A slight improvement on the red rag IMO.

Goddo

Bench
Main thing for me is get rid of the god damn red socks and shorts.

Terrible, has nothing to do wit St George or Illawarra. Hooped socks, Red V for main, Red steelers jersey, white shorts and socks for alternate, and current heritage is great as is (1921 St George).

We really don't need to fk around with jersey's like some other clubs do. keep it simple and classy.

EDIT: pretty much what Gazf has done, but not his stupid logo

http://gazzzaf.com/?p=340

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
10632_143472644156_525314156_2733533_2366958_n.jpg

Just something I put together a while ago when i heard we were changing to reebok. A slight improvement on the red rag IMO.

I like it mate.

Willow, as you would know one of the moost enjoyable days was when I moved back over the border and cut almost all ties to qld. great day.

morris_magic

Juniors
they wrote the same thing for adelaide crows

''Global sportswear giant Reebok is proud to officially announce a three year sponsorship deal with the Adelaide Football Club beginning in 2010.

The new deal will see the Crows and Reebok partner on a variety of strategic marketing, advertising, promotion and community initiatives. Crows players and fans will have the opportunity to experience a wide range of apparel including technologically advanced products to enhance training and playing performance.

Adelaide Football Club chief executive officer Steven Trigg said the Club was pleased Reebok had made a long-term commitment to the Crows.

“The new gear is outstanding and will be great for our players, staff and supporters,” he said. “Our football club is entering an exciting new era and we believe the fresh new away strip will be extremely popular. We look forward to a long and successful relationship with Reebok.”

Similar history, corporate values and demographics make the partnership a natural fit.

“The Adelaide Football Club is a professional and innovative sporting club with a rich history in the AFL,” said Reebok Director Michael Hendler. “We too have been a respected leader within the sporting industry since 1895; it was a natural fit for Reebok to join forces with the Crows in 2010.

“Reebok has developed a strong standing in on-field apparel sponsorship and we believe this is an excellent opportunity to expand in the world of AFL.”

The Crows will join teams from the NFL, NHL, Hyundai A-League, Bolton Wanderers (English Premier League), AFL clubs Port Adelaide, Richmond, Fremantle, Melbourne and Gold Coast, and the St George Illawarra Dragons in the NRL.

Official Crows apparel designed and produced by Reebok will be available from November 2009''

Latest posts