What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson Leaving

BLM01

First Grade
What are you on about?

While McInnes can play 80 minutes when needed, his effectiveness over the course of the game and the season drops when he has to do this long term, as shown by the reduction in his running over the course of a season. His, and the teams, effectiveness would increase if he was spelled for 20 minutes a game with an actual hooker who provides a point of difference.

On top of that, we do NOT need a back on the bench. Very few successful coaching do this, and the insane desire to keep Dufty on the bench is denying Robson a meaningful spot. It is useless, pointless and detrimental to the teams performance and Robson’s development.

TL;DR - you are wrong, Mary is an idiot, Robson should be a mainstay in our Top 17.

Most of what you say is right..except you need someone on the bench (a forward in your scenario of carrying no backs) or someone who has started in positions 8-13, who can slot into a backline position in need if a back goes down. (e.g. back rower who can play centre or can McInness or Robson shift to 5/8th in emergency? etc). We have the backs that can shuffle around but need a replacement.
Every side has it except us. Unfortunately that is why Mary has to carry a back cause we have not developed a forward or have one since Joel Thompson left who can do it. Aitken for me at 17 is a perfect fit as he can also act as a forward around the ruck for 10 minutes each half to help our tired forwards.

BennyV

Referee
Most of what you say is right..except you need someone on the bench (a forward in your scenario of carrying no backs) or someone who has started in positions 8-13, who can slot into a backline position in need if a back goes down. (e.g. back rower who can play centre or can McInness or Robson shift to 5/8th in emergency? etc). We have the backs that can shuffle around but need a replacement.
Every side has it except us. Unfortunately that is why Mary has to carry a back cause we have not developed a forward or have one since Joel Thompson left who can do it. Aitken for me at 17 is a perfect fit as he can also act as a forward around the ruck for 10 minutes each half to help our tired forwards.
I’m not entirely against Aitken on the bench as a middle forward, considering how well Host is doing and how terribly Leilua is doing.
But at a pinch, any of Sims, Frizell or Host would be able to slot onto the edge for half a game if necessary.

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not entirely against Aitken on the bench as a middle forward, considering how well Host is doing and how terribly Leilua is doing.
But at a pinch, any of Sims, Frizell or Host would be able to slot onto the edge for half a game if necessary.
At the edge?. I assume you mean as a centre.
Maybe Host...(draw and pass?..dont know but either can Aitken)...you may be right
Sims is definitely too slow off the mark to adjust out wide for a defensive centre and has no passing game and will be burned by all centres
Frizz...not sure. Quicker off the mark but again does not know how to draw and pass and runs too much back in field for my liking
I am not convinced with any of those even for half a game

BennyV

Referee
At the edge?. I assume you mean as a centre.
Maybe Host...(draw and pass?..dont know but either can Aitken)...you may be right
Sims is definitely too slow off the mark to adjust out wide for a defensive centre and has no passing game and will be burned by all centres
Frizz...not sure. Quicker off the mark but again does not know how to draw and pass and runs too much back in field for my liking
I am not convinced with any of those even for half a game
If we are concerned about drawing/passing, defensive reads or agility, I’m not convinced Aitken is a whole lot better.

Keep in mind, that half a game occurs a couple of times a year, if that.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The more interesting debate is when Friz returns (this week or next), he will slot into his normal edge position, which means Host will have to be (based on form alone) the bench forward in place of Leilua (who really hasnt shown much to date).
This will he a huge dynamic for us moving forward imo.

BLM01

First Grade
If we are concerned about drawing/passing, defensive reads or agility, I’m not convinced Aitken is a whole lot better.

Keep in mind, that half a game occurs a couple of times a year, if that.
I know re Aitken but he is quicker than those forwards but that is why I would have him No 17

BennyV

Referee
The more interesting debate is when Friz returns (this week or next), he will slot into his normal edge position, which means Host will have to be (based on form alone) the bench forward in place of Leilua (who really hasnt shown much to date).
Why would he go back to the edge? He started the year playing lock, so he will go back there with Lawrie dropping back to the bench. Hopefully Plodimore dropped.

GC Dragon

Juniors
I agree . I would swap Lomax and Aitken . Lomax will just sit on the bench like Mann did as a reserve back and be a waste most of the time .
Aitken could be used as a bit of a weapon running at tired middle forwards late in a half . His power running game would suit that and his front on defence isn't a problem . He could also cover as a back replacement . We for once could utilise 17 players .

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would be playing Frizell lock when he returns. I would be keeping Lucky on the bench instead of Latimore. Lucky would be getting some game time at lock.

possm

Coach
I agree . I would swap Lomax and Aitken . Lomax will just sit on the bench like Mann did as a reserve back and be a waste most of the time .
Aitken could be used as a bit of a weapon running at tired middle forwards late in a half . His power running game would suit that and his front on defence isn't a problem . He could also cover as a back replacement . We for once could utilise 17 players .

I've been saying exactly this for a long time.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I've been saying exactly this for a long time.

When the backline is eventually fixed by having all our strikepower on the field at once, we’ll be able to have 4 forwards on the bench & we’ll be unstoppable.

It’s this interminable waiting for the obvious remedy to happen that drives most of us nuts

As my son sows oats out west I’m reminded of the winnowing of grain
... and how we reap what we sow Waterboy

PS
And by remedy ATM I mean Lomax to 3, Euan? & Reece to bench & Field for Rav

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
Yep ... A bench of Lawrie/Korbin/Aitken/Robson for me is one to get a little excited over ...
I would flick Aitken for a better option but for now that gives good impact/flexibility and most importantly gets aitken out of starting centre.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Yep ... A bench of Lawrie/Korbin/Aitken/Robson for me is one to get a little excited over ...
I would flick Aitken for a better option but for now that gives good impact/flexibility and most importantly gets aitken out of starting centre.

Agree re Euan for now, but Waterboy won’t flick him cold.

I thought he had been training in the forwards in the preseason - so at least there’s been some awareness of the need for change & rotation at the very least

Last edited:

possm

Coach
When the backline is eventually fixed by having all our strikepower on the field at once, we’ll be able to have 4 forwards on the bench & we’ll be unstoppable.

It’s this interminable waiting for the obvious remedy to happen that drives most of us nuts

As my son sows oats out west I’m reminded of the winnowing of grain
... and how we reap what we sow Waterboy

PS
And by remedy ATM I mean Lomax to 3, Euan? & Reece to bench & Field for Rav
So by the looks of it, we really did not need to buy 3 of our outside backs and could have very well bought 2 good wingers instead. Field's size and devnsive skills are not best suited to the wing position however, his ability to take a high ball, run with great speed and probably pop up anywhere on the field and make a good break during a game would be a great improvement.