What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson

getsmarty

Immortal
I have to disagree with you there 86...Cam can and is a 80 min player
But Mary thinks that McInnes is as good as Cook. Cook also plays 80 but helps out as another half in attack and gets relieved of all the middle tackling.. Our Cam does 80 toughing it in the middle..
but 35 yr old Farah, Hodgson, McCulloch, Mahoney and Cam Smith can.
This coaching myth about subbing for the sake of a sub to a structured plan is the problem and a typical NFL style tactic. It should just go on current status quo of the game and players out there

Agree to disagree...McInnes can play 80..but noticeably Fades out...( although better so far this year )...

Point being Mary promised Robson a Start via bench and never delivered....Agree could bring Robson on and put McInnes in the Middle....

Most disappointing thing is we never gave Robson a go.... how can you then make a decision between McInnes and Robson down the track ?

There is more to come....I am just about over it....don't think I can take any more of the Nepotism and lowering of the bar in terms of success that our Board trots out.........

We won in 2015. He was a strong contributor but he didn't have the fundamentals of being a hooker (he was originally a fullback) in his game then and he hasn't improved those parts of his game since. He was always been poor at making decisions and passing the ball accurately. Even in the grand final his passing was all over the place. This was masked in his good years as he was great at running the ball and his positives outweighed his negatives.

Now he is a tackle bot who can't pass and doesn't run much and his weaknesses are really being highlighted. Baptiste played an average game last week and the difference in service between him and Granville was like night and day.
Sorry Yes 2015

We won in 2015. He was a strong contributor but he didn't have the fundamentals of being a hooker (he was originally a fullback) in his game then and he hasn't improved those parts of his game since. He was always been poor at making decisions and passing the ball accurately. Even in the grand final his passing was all over the place. This was masked in his good years as he was great at running the ball and his positives outweighed his negatives.

Now he is a tackle bot who can't pass and doesn't run much and his weaknesses are really being highlighted. Baptiste played an average game last week and the difference in service between him and Granville was like night and day.
Fair enough then

getsmarty

Immortal
Genuine question, when was this stated and by who?

Millward stated it publicly ( 2017 his re-signing ? if I remember correctly ) and have heard via another source.

P.S Maybe Samy or Como or WTC can also confirm....anyway what does it matter now.............He's gone.

P.P.S ....that's probably it for me now passing on info.....I have said too much already...others on here can share...I've had a gut-full of this B.S. it's like watching a train crash that's about to happen and your totally powerless to do anything about it..metaphorically speaking........

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Millward stated it publicly ( 2017 his resigning ? if I remember correctly ) and have heard via another source.

P.S Maybe Samy or Como or WTC can also confirm....anyway what does it matter now.............He's gone.

P.P.S ....that's probably it for me now passing on info.....I have said too much already...others on here can share...I've had a gut-full of this B.S. it's like watching a train crash that's about to happen and your totally powerless to do anything about it..metaphorically speaking........

Do you have a link to the Millward comments? I just had a bit of a look at past interviews around 2016 and 17 and didn't hear anything. Was it a video or just an interview? The only reason I ask is that I don't remember anyone mentioning anything about Robson at all and I'd be interested to hear the comments.

getsmarty

Immortal
Do you have a link to the Millward comments? I just had a bit of a look at past interviews around 2016 and 17 and didn't hear anything. Was it a video or just an interview? The only reason I ask is that I don't remember anyone mentioning anything about Robson at all and I'd be interested to hear the comments.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/millward-spills-some-important-info.462054/

- " Millward said that Mcinnes/Robson WILL BE our hooker combination in 2018. They seriously rate Robson."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k=1d03c6bd63d733fc9a61fd61db61e88f-1555567290

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
It is a shame we never got the chance to see how Robson goes in first grade. The wraps on him are massive. I am very concerned that he may end up being better than McInnes within 2 or 3 years. I would have liked us to have signed him up for at least another year and made a decision on who to keep at the end of this year. Mary wasn't giving him a run, so I can't blame him for leaving. Mary couldn't even get his name right in an interview.

Now we still have Aitken blocking Lomax's path to first grade. I said last year that I was concerned about Aitken blocking Lomax's path and that we could lose him, if he doesn't get the opportunity. The only chance Lomax has got of playing centre this year, is if Aitken or Lafai get injured. It took until round 24 or so for Aitken to get injured last year and for Lomax to get a chance. Almost everyone on this site agreed that Lomax was better than Aitken after seeing Lomax play 3 or 4 games in first grade. So unless Aitken gets injured, we may lose Lomax too.

True_Believer

Juniors

Thanks mate.

Just listening to it, Millward said he was pencilled in for 18/19. He does qualify it by saying that he has got to make it though. He also said that Garrick was pencilled in to replace Nighty. I personally don't take those comments as a guarantee or a promise. I take it as part of the pathways process and identifying the best of the players coming through. Having said that, it comes down to Mary making the choice. And for whatever reason, he chose not to give him much of a chance.

Things obviously change and I'm thinking part of the issue now is that McInness is going to be the next captain - keeping him on the field for the full 80 is preferential.

Having said all that, if this eventuates, good luck to him.

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
Not sure why anyone thinks getting 20 or 30 at hooker off the bench would have changed anything here.

McInnes is an 80 minute hooker. Hooker rotations are essentially a wasted bench position.

Robson knows he himself has the potential to be an 80 minute hooker. He can't possibly do 80 minutes behind one of the better hookers in the NRL so obviously for his career he'll look elsewhere.

Granville is on the outer so Robson prime position at locking a spot down for himself.

Dragons get McInnes 80 mins
Robson gets a shot at Cowboys 80 mins

There are no losers here. Good luck again to him!
Yep. The best hookers play 80, and McInnes is one of them. The others averaging more than him are smith, Farah, McCullough, cook. Everyone averaging less except friend is a significant step down in ability. And friend seems to be about injuries he’s carrying at the moment.
Does anyone know if it’s for this year or next? If it’s next that gives us time to find a reasonable back up. This year would be silly.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sad to see him go but glad he is going to the Cowboys rather than the Dogs. That would pi$$ me off big time. Saints should put a clause that when McInness goes they get first crack to get him back. We lost Sims and he came back to us so hopefully the same will happen for Reece. Letting him leave on good terms gives us a slightly better chance of getting him back later on with a heap of NRL experience.

McInness is a gun, it is a shame Saints have got 2 quality hookers at the same time that can play 80 mins. McInness has FG experience hence why he gets the nod ahead of Robson so you can't really blame Mary. If he plays Robson instead of McInness people will complain why McInness is not starting so he can't win.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This is definitely a polarizing case.

The views of some would say, he should stay and re-sign with us, whilst the others say he would never get his shot here at the Dragons.

Firstly, you have to remove the emotion here and look at this clearly. Robson is a great prospect, I repeat prospect, but yet to be proven under the rigors of the weekly NRL. Whether he was "promised" a bench role this year is majorly irrelevant, because it's the coach who picks the team and our "coach" will play McInnes as the 80 min hooker. It is why he continues to play a back on the bench, as we know Hunt would slot into the hooking role if anything happened to McInnes during a game. It was also mentioned earlier in the year that even Dufty (who was the original bench back before Widdops injury) was being trained as a back-up half. From this it is plain to see that Robson would have only seen action, and it's a big maybe, during SOO time. Not enough for such a "promising" player. The kid wants to play 1st grade that's obvious, hence the decision to look elsewhere for his opportunity.

As for the Cowboys, he would be a great fit I believe. Granville isn't having a good season so far and even though he's signed 'till 2021, I can see Robson as the starting hooker with Granville from the bench. Baptiste is only on a 1 yr deal anyway and whose next deal will probably be in ESL.

So the carrot for Robson is very clear and good luck to the kid, I do hope he does prove something to our inept coaching staff.

As for our back-up hooker, if McInnes ever cops a long term injury or suspension, our only listed "hooker" is Lovodua, but (a) he's a development player and would have to be elevated, and (b) he's been playing more 2nd row edge in CC.
If we went to market to buy a hooker then these are the candidates (from ZT)

Kurt Baptiste, Wayde Egan, Manase Fainu, Robbie Farah, Craig Garvey, Sione Katoa, Apisai Koroisau, Karl Lawton, Michael Lichaa, Jacob Liddle, Issac Luke, Matt McIlwrick, Kaysa Pritchard, Mitch Rein, Reece Robson, Zac Woolford

Knowing us we would throw a motza at Lichaa (lol) or could we see the return of SaintMar

The Damo

Juniors
I have to disagree with you there 86...Cam can and is a 80 min player
But Mary thinks that McInnes is as good as Cook. Cook also plays 80 but helps out as another half in attack and gets relieved of all the middle tackling.. Our Cam does 80 toughing it in the middle..
but 35 yr old Farah, Hodgson, McCulloch, Mahoney and Cam Smith can.
This coaching myth about subbing for the sake of a sub to a structured plan is the problem and a typical NFL style tactic. It should just go on current status quo of the game and players out there
Cook averaged about 5 less tackles a game than Cam last year. Same for Smith. So not a massive difference but not nothing either. Cook would have been tackled more often a game though due to running more, which would make up at least some of the difference.
It certainly wouldn’t hurt for Cam to get a rest some games, but it’s not necessary every game.

The Damo

Juniors

The views of some would say, he should stay and re-sign with us, whilst the others say he would never get his shot here at the Dragons.

Firstly, you have to remove the emotion here and look at this clearly. Robson is a great prospect, I repeat prospect, but yet to be proven under the rigors of the weekly NRL. Whether he was "promised" a bench role this year is majorly irrelevant, because it's the coach who picks the team and our "coach" will play McInnes as the 80 min hooker. It is why he continues to play a back on the bench, as we know Hunt would slot into the hooking role if anything happened to McInnes during a game. It was also mentioned earlier in the year that even Dufty (who was the original bench back before Widdops injury) was being trained as a back-up half. From this it is plain to see that Robson would have only seen action, and it's a big maybe, during SOO time. Not enough for such a "promising" player. The kid wants to play 1st grade that's obvious, hence the decision to look elsewhere for his opportunity.

As for the Cowboys, he would be a great fit I believe. Granville isn't having a good season so far and even though he's signed 'till 2021, I can see Robson as the starting hooker with Granville from the bench. Baptiste is only on a 1 yr deal anyway and whose next deal will probably be in ESL.

So the carrot for Robson is very clear and good luck to the kid, I do hope he does prove something to our inept coaching staff.

As for our back-up hooker, if McInnes ever cops a long term injury or suspension, our only listed "hooker" is Lovodua, but (a) he's a development player and would have to be elevated, and (b) he's been playing more 2nd row edge in CC.

Kurt Baptiste, Wayde Egan, Manase Fainu, Robbie Farah, Craig Garvey, Sione Katoa, Apisai Koroisau, Karl Lawton, Michael Lichaa, Jacob Liddle, Issac Luke, Matt McIlwrick, Kaysa Pritchard, Mitch Rein, Reece Robson, Zac Woolford

Knowing us we would throw a motza at Lichaa (lol) or could we see the return of SaintMar
There’s some reasonable back ups there. Fainu looks good, Api or baptiste would be decent too.

denis preston

First Grade
Sad to see him go but glad he is going to the Cowboys rather than the Dogs. That would pi$$ me off big time. Saints should put a clause that when McInness goes they get first crack to get him back. We lost Sims and he came back to us so hopefully the same will happen for Reece. Letting him leave on good terms gives us a slightly better chance of getting him back later on with a heap of NRL experience.

McInness is a gun, it is a shame Saints have got 2 quality hookers at the same time that can play 80 mins. McInness has FG experience hence why he gets the nod ahead of Robson so you can't really blame Mary. If he plays Robson instead of McInness people will complain why McInness is not starting so he can't win.
Slip how do we know that Robson is able to play 80mins of NRL football ? His 20 year old body would surely be tested. Mcinness is actually still improving to be in the top 3 hookers in the game who can & will play 80mins. Robson had no more "pathway "to walk on.

Crush

Coach
Robson has to leave Dragons given he is behind McInnes and Mary has openly stated that while ever he is coach he will carry a utility back on the bench.
Given Mary has just re-signed there is no hope for Robson.
He has to leave and should leave asap.

Robson made the right call.

It is clear that barring Cam being injured, he won't play first grade at our club.

Sorry to see him go, but the reality is we can't keep them all.

Hope Zac Lomax doesn't follow suit.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Good luck Reece!
Maybe see you back home one day, but sure you will be starting hooker in nothing flat at the cows!

Sad cause he has potential, but It’s called roster management!

McInnes is a top 80min hooker and will it seems be club captain. He is in form and fit to the game plan. Can’t justify keeping a guy like Reece in reserve grade and needing to pay him good money, yet restricting his growth. Shake hands and move on, use the cash saved to look after Lomax, and guys like Saab who will fill important roles in coming years.

BLM01

First Grade
Cook averaged about 5 less tackles a game than Cam last year. Same for Smith. So not a massive difference but not nothing either. Cook would have been tackled more often a game though due to running more, which would make up at least some of the difference.
It certainly wouldn’t hurt for Cam to get a rest some games, but it’s not necessary every game.
Ahhh hah!. Funny about that. A coach being able to make decisions on the run based on what is happening out there. Now that would be too innovative at our club!.

SnowDragon

Juniors

Nice post even if I disagree in parts.

I think Lovodua shows good promise as a backup hooker. He is playing edge because Robson is better, but he is still good enough to force his way into the team. If cam got injured it would be a huge loss, but I am confident he could fill in. In terms of cap management I won’t complain, just wish Reece all the luck and who knows if he will be back one day. Hope the club did this right!

Latest posts