What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reece Robson

getsmarty

Immortal
For whatever reason?

The reason is that he is a stubborn, self-focused, short-sighted, narrow-minded moron not remotely deserving of an authority position at our club.

The reason is because he chooses to persist with a bench make up that’s ignored by all successful systems, and ignored a bench make up used by successful systems.

Really, he morons claiming that McInnes is a full-season, 80 minute hooker are likely the same clowns who labeled Rein as an 80 minute hooker. Physically, yes it happens. But in reality, it’s not what’s best for the team. McInnes has proven to wear out over the course of a season every year since he’s been playing 80 minutes. His defensive output in terms of quality and quantity is far above the other ‘80 minute hookers’ mentioned - all bar 1 of whom has a fairly regular reprieve from a backup hooker.

Yes, it’s not the end of the world and there’s a chance that Robson is really no good, but really, there’s no positive spin on this. We lose one of the most promising juniors we have, into whom we’ve put years of development, with zero upgrade or compensation and without finding out whether or not he will make it big if first grade, and fault lies solely with an incompetent coach. Those happy with it are probably the same ones who are happy with Lomax playing as a middle forward and see a 7th place finish as ‘successful’.

Thankyou....the voice of reason....If we had given Robson 20 - 30 mins of the bench over 2018 - 19 we would have an idea as to how he would develop in First Grade....As you correctly stated, without this you cannot make an informed decision on a guy who has massive raps on him by people who know the game.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
I doubt anyone is happy with this.

Just an unfortunate situation where he has a very good player in front of him. Even if Mary played him on the bench, he would be stuck there for the foreseeable future unless McInnes lost form.

He has a chance to start at the Cows and make an impact. A starting hooker has twice the value. He’s been hyped up by the Kangaroos coach and others so doubt he would have been happy being a becnhie.

The Lichaa comparison is a good one, I think the only way we could have kept him is if we shipped off McInnes like the Dogs got rid of Ennis.

And we all know how that went.

With all due respect, you totally miss the point....We put Years into developing Robson and then don't give him a run off the bench...how is one to make an informed decision as to how he would handle 1st grade without giving him a run....

Read Benny V's reply again....An excellent summation .

denis preston

First Grade
Robson made the right call.

It is clear that barring Cam being injured, he won't play first grade at our club.

Sorry to see him go, but the reality is we can't keep them all.

Hope Zac Lomax doesn't follow suit.
Thats exactly my thoughts here.As Zak is getting NRL game time you would think a contract extension is on the cards.Just frustrating seeing ANOTHER 18 year old get a full game chance and kill them last night.

The Damo

Juniors
For whatever reason?

The reason is that he is a stubborn, self-focused, short-sighted, narrow-minded moron not remotely deserving of an authority position at our club.

The reason is because he chooses to persist with a bench make up that’s ignored by all successful systems, and ignored a bench make up used by successful systems.

Really, he morons claiming that McInnes is a full-season, 80 minute hooker are likely the same clowns who labeled Rein as an 80 minute hooker. Physically, yes it happens. But in reality, it’s not what’s best for the team. McInnes has proven to wear out over the course of a season every year since he’s been playing 80 minutes. His defensive output in terms of quality and quantity is far above the other ‘80 minute hookers’ mentioned - all bar 1 of whom has a fairly regular reprieve from a backup hooker.

Yes, it’s not the end of the world and there’s a chance that Robson is really no good, but really, there’s no positive spin on this. We lose one of the most promising juniors we have, into whom we’ve put years of development, with zero upgrade or compensation and without finding out whether or not he will make it big if first grade, and fault lies solely with an incompetent coach. Those happy with it are probably the same ones who are happy with Lomax playing as a middle forward and see a 7th place finish as ‘successful’.
Dunno bout your conclusions at the end ther there BennyV,
I think losing Robson is unfortunate, but understandable. It would have been better to give him more opportunities in first grade. But he’s definitely got more opportunities at the Cows.
Playing Lomax as a middle is stupid.
Finishing 7th after our start last year was a failure.
McInnes is a more complex topic, suffice to say I think it’s unproven, but there’s reasonable arguments both ways.

BennyV

Referee
I doubt anyone is happy with this.

Just an unfortunate situation where he has a very good player in front of him. Even if Mary played him on the bench, he would be stuck there for the foreseeable future unless McInnes lost form.

He has a chance to start at the Cows and make an impact. A starting hooker has twice the value. He’s been hyped up by the Kangaroos coach and others so doubt he would have been happy being a becnhie.

The Lichaa comparison is a good one, I think the only way we could have kept him is if we shipped off McInnes like the Dogs got rid of Ennis.

And we all know how that went.
None of that is true.

If he was playing from the bench and getting decent game time, can you confirm he would have left?
If he was getting 20-30 minutes a game, can you confirm he wouldn’t have overtaken McInnes in the next 1-3 years?

My problem isn’t necessarily that he’s gone, it’s that we didn’t get the chance to see what he can do. Sure, he may be a complete plank. He may also make an immediate impact. But we haven’t even bothered to find out, despite every obvious advantage for the team, Robson and McInnes himself.

The best clubs MAKE ROOM for the best youngsters. We can’t seem to do that for Robson (or Lomax for that matter).

If we had the Roosters roster, we’d likely have lost Mitchell and Manu because they were blocked by Jennings and SKD.

getsmarty

Immortal
Thats exactly my thoughts here.As Zak is getting NRL game time you would think a contract extension is on the cards.Just frustrating seeing ANOTHER 18 year old get a full game chance and kill them last night.

I get the we can't keep them all line.....problem is we will never know how good he is going to be in a 1st grade Dragons jersey and that my friend is criminal......we never seem to learn....Rein kept over Cook....

Not saying McInnes is a Rein but Robson has a multi dimensional game and is highly rated by those in the know.

This is one we should have kept by making a spot on the bench available rather than the useless token 10 mins trotted out to a " Utility player " over the last few years....

Yes , we can't keep them all, but you try to keep the standouts and IMHO just lost one.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Dunno bout your conclusions at the end ther there BennyV,
I think losing Robson is unfortunate, but understandable. It would have been better to give him more opportunities in first grade. But he’s definitely got more opportunities at the Cows.
Playing Lomax as a middle is stupid.
Finishing 7th after our start last year was a failure.
McInnes is a more complex topic, suffice to say I think it’s unproven, but there’s reasonable arguments both ways.
To be brutally honest, I don’t give a f**k about the Cowboys nor about the opportunity for Robson. I care about the Dragons being successful. That’s it.

It’s not ‘understandable’ - that’s a cop out. If we trialled him in first grade and he wasn’t up to standard, then it would be understandable. If McInnes played every minute of every game at 100%, didn’t wear out and didn’t drop off as games/seasons progressed, then it MIGHT be understandable (although still dumb). The situation that’s unfolded, however, is a failure.

giboz71

First Grade
None of that is true.

If he was playing from the bench and getting decent game time, can you confirm he would have left?
If he was getting 20-30 minutes a game, can you confirm he wouldn’t have overtaken McInnes in the next 1-3 years?

My problem isn’t necessarily that he’s gone, it’s that we didn’t get the chance to see what he can do. Sure, he may be a complete plank. He may also make an immediate impact. But we haven’t even bothered to find out, despite every obvious advantage for the team, Robson and McInnes himself.

The best clubs MAKE ROOM for the best youngsters. We can’t seem to do that for Robson (or Lomax for that matter).

If we had the Roosters roster, we’d likely have lost Mitchell and Manu because they were blocked by Jennings and SKD.

My post is conjecture but so is yours.

Yes he’s hyped as a good player but can you confirm his form is good enough to warrant a bench spot? Are you at training every day? Have you closely watched his development, attitude, fitness, work ethic etc??

No one in here knows except the coaching staff who watch him every day. Yes he’s done well in NSW Cup but so do a lot of players. The best people to make an assessment on him are not on this forum.

End of the day, no one knows if this was a mistake or not. Not you or me. None of us will know until he gets some serious minutes at the Cows.

Until that happens, happy to back the club in this one given how well Cam has been playing and now he’s been given the captaincy.

The Damo

Juniors
To be brutally honest, I don’t give a f**k about the Cowboys nor about the opportunity for Robson. I care about the Dragons being successful. That’s it.

It’s not ‘understandable’ - that’s a cop out. If we trialled him in first grade and he wasn’t up to standard, then it would be understandable. If McInnes played every minute of every game at 100%, didn’t wear out and didn’t drop off as games/seasons progressed, then it MIGHT be understandable (although still dumb). The situation that’s unfolded, however, is a failure.
Yes we should have given him more time.
Would that have changed his decision enough o convince him to stay behind McInnes on probably less money than the Cows offered?Don’t know.
Not denying it’s a failure - we’ve got a long list of those. Am Denying people who think it’s understandable also think other much stupider things are ok.

getsmarty

Immortal

Yes he’s hyped as a good player but can you confirm his form is good enough to warrant a bench spot? Are you at training every day? Have you closely watched his development, attitude, fitness, work ethic etc??

No one in here knows except the coaching staff who watch him every day. Yes he’s done well in NSW Cup but so do a lot of players. The best people to make an assessment on him are not on this forum.

End of the day, no one knows if this was a mistake or not. Not you or me. None of us will know until he gets some serious minutes at the Cows.

Until that happens, happy to back the club in this one given how well Cam has been playing and now he’s been given the captaincy.

With all due respect the below is his Rep record....Surely he was worth a run off the bench...

In 2016, Robson was named in both the Australian Schoolboys[2] and the NSW U18[3] teams.

In 2017, he played in both the Junior Kangaroos[4] and NSW U20[5] teams. After graduating from the Dragons u20’s team, he then joined the St George Illawarra Dragons full time squad for the following two seasons.

In round 9 of the 2018 season, Robson made his NRL debut off the bench in the Dragons 34-14 win over the Melbourne Storm.[6] On September 10 at the Brad Fittler medal awards, Robson won the award for U20 NSW State Player of the Year.[7]

possm

Coach

Robson is a local junior, a brilliant player and comes cheap. He can play backrow and hooker. Not extending him was very dumb.

giboz71

First Grade
Btw, I’m still waiting on Patrick Herbert and Hame Sele to come back to bite us but neither are yet to be found on a FG footy field.

giboz71

First Grade
With all due respect the below is his Rep record....Surely he was worth a run off the bench...

In 2016, Robson was named in both the Australian Schoolboys[2] and the NSW U18[3] teams.

In 2017, he played in both the Junior Kangaroos[4] and NSW U20[5] teams. After graduating from the Dragons u20’s team, he then joined the St George Illawarra Dragons full time squad for the following two seasons.

In round 9 of the 2018 season, Robson made his NRL debut off the bench in the Dragons 34-14 win over the Melbourne Storm.[6] On September 10 at the Brad Fittler medal awards, Robson won the award for U20 NSW State Player of the Year.[7]

All very relevant and no doubt he is a good player.

But Drew Hutchison has a similar junior rep record as well.

As I said, let’s all hold fire until he sees some serious FG minutes.

possm

Coach

Come on now, Drew copped a serious injury and time passed him bye at the Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal

Again with all due respect, Hutchison was over - rated as a half. As I and many others stated ,he will end up playing Lock and indeed I did see him play forwards for Norths a few weeks ago.

Please don't misconstrue this as a shot at your good self, but Robson is very highly rated by johns/fittler/meninga etc....

Could end up being another Damien Cook and if he does that will be another poor decision in terms of not transitioning guys into 1st grade. We currently have the best crop of juniors we have had in a long time...we need to transition them into the top grade and that may mean some hard decisions being made.....eg..Latimore/Graham/Lafai/Aitken etc....

BennyV

Referee
Yes we should have given him more time.
Would that have changed his decision enough o convince him to stay behind McInnes on probably less money than the Cows offered?Don’t know.
Not denying it’s a failure - we’ve got a long list of those. Am Denying people who think it’s understandable also think other much stupider things are ok.
So you think it’s understandable, or you think it’s a failure?

giboz71

First Grade
Again with all due respect, Hutchison was over - rated as a half. As I and many others stated ,he will end up playing Lock and indeed I did see him play forwards for Norths a few weeks ago.

Please don't misconstrue this as a shot at your good self, but Robson is very highly rated by johns/fittler/meninga etc....

Could end up being another Damien Cook and if he does that will be another poor decision in terms of not transitioning guys into 1st grade. We currently have the best crop of juniors we have had in a long time...we need to transition them into the top grade and that may mean some hard decisions being made.....eg..Latimore/Graham/Lafai/Aitken etc....

All good mate and you may end up being right. But as I said, happy to back the club on this one until further evidence comes to light.

Let’s re-visit this conversation when we see Robson in FG. Happy to eat my words if required.

BennyV

Referee

Wait, so you’re trusting our coaching staff? The ones playing Lomax as a middle forward off the bench? The ones who claimed that Dugan would be playing fullback in whatever team he was coaching? The ones who <insert any number of poor judgement calls from our coaching staff>.

Fair enough. In that case, congrats on the contract extension.

I personally form my own opinions. In my opinion, the fact that none of the questions we have posed regarding Robson’s future were answered before we let him walk is a failure. And I wouldn’t trust the judgement of the coaching staff at our club one iota.