What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocate the Sharks to Perth

Should the Sharks be Relocated to Perth?

• Yes

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 67 52.3%

• Total voters

Green Machine

First Grade
I take it you think relocating the Sharks to Perth is a wonderful idea?

Good for you. Personally I disagree.

I believe if the Sharks can't afford to remain in the Shire, they should be allowed to rot on Rugby League's vine of mediocrity. Why transplant a failed team with a failed culture? Much better to allow a new Perth team to create a fresh, positive beginning.

Just out of interest, why is Rugby League a vine of mediocrity? Union yes, but Rugby League?

Green Machine

First Grade
Not sure what the ABs have to do with this thread?

Perhaps you should start a thread about the ABs team culture? I would argue that the Sharks team culture is infinitely worse.
Yes, I'd love to debate that,
Till then do you mind keeping on-topic?
Is it relocation or you having a shot at Rugby League?

This is a thread about a hypothetical relocation of the Sharks to Perth. Please don't turn it into a Rugby vs League s**t-fight.
Are you reading from prepared script?

simostorm

Bench
I never say never, but I tend to agree with the sentiment of your post.

If I was David Gallop, starting up a team in Perth would be very, very low on my to do list.

Why?
The whole extra coverage of another city being Perth, wouldnt it be a good thing?

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Why?
The whole extra coverage of another city being Perth, wouldnt it be a good thing?

Zero local interest, no locally based RL comp of any significance. Especially now that the Force are up and running.

RL had a chance to set up a team, and blew it with the Reds. There was a huge body of ex-pat Kiwis and East Coasters who could have gotten behind the Reds, but most of those will now have been absorbed into the Force, who boast much larger crowds than the Reds ever did.

If the NRL is keen to expand successfully, they should look at Logan, Ipswich, Wellington or even the Sunshine Coast., If all they are interested in is openning up new TV markets, they should set up a team in Beijing. There would probably be as much local interest in RL in Beijing than in Perth, and obviously a much larger potential TV base.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Just out of interest, why is Rugby League a vine of mediocrity? Union yes, but Rugby League?

Dumb post.

I didn't say Rugby League was a vine of mediocrity. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

I said that the Sharks, if financially unsustainable, should not be relocated but left to rot on RL's vine of mediocrity. The same one from which Newtown, Norths, the Reds, Crushers, Rams and Mariners currently dangle.

adamkungl

Immortal
I have no interest in discussing the Force, or turning this thread into a Rugby vs RL s**t-fight. Please keep on-topic.

You brought up the Farce. As an obstacle to a RL team in Perth. Thus it is on topic, can you really be this dimwitted?

Anyhow, I find that amusing for various reasons, one reason being sports fans in Perth probably couldn't give a crap about the Rugby divide, and would support both as they are both alternatives to fumbleball. The second reason being that the Super 14 is sh*thouse and would not stop a RL side gaining popularity.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
You brought up the Farce. As an obstacle to a RL team in Perth. Thus it is on topic, can you really be this dimwitted?

Anyhow, I find that amusing for various reasons, one reason being sports fans in Perth probably couldn't give a crap about the Rugby divide, and would support both as they are both alternatives to fumbleball. The second reason being that the Super 14 is sh*thouse and would not stop a RL side gaining popularity.

Firstly, no need for personal insults. Such comments demean us both.

Secondly, I did bring up the Force, but I have no interest in trying to argue about whether or not they are more successful than the Reds were in drawing crowds/membership. I think you'll find they have been though.

My point was that RL had a golden opportunity to grow the game in Perth, and passed it up. The Force has subsequently come into town, and I'm sure there would be some competition for members. Especially with the expanded S15 season commencing in 2011.

Green Machine

First Grade
Dumb post.

I didn't say Rugby League was a vine of mediocrity. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.
Of course you did
I said that the Sharks, if financially unsustainable, should not be relocated but left to rot on RL's vine of mediocrity. The same one from which Newtown, Norths, the Reds, Crushers, Rams and Mariners currently dangle.
Why would the Sharks relocate when they are about to embark of a huge redevelopment of their property at Woolooware, which is going to yield a fairly healthy dividend?
Just out of interest do you think the under funded Melbourne Rebels are on the Super Union’s vine of mediocrity?

Green Machine

First Grade
My point was that RL had a golden opportunity to grow the game in Perth, and passed it up. The Force has subsequently come into town, and I'm sure there would be some competition for members. Especially with the expanded S15 season commencing in 2011.
Do you worry about the plummeting membership and crowd numbers for the Farce for their long term viability?

simostorm

Bench
yea.. i disagree.. i think Perth is defantly worth looking at.. altho i think Relocation makes alot more sense then a whole new franchise.. And to me.. the Sharks seem like a team suitable for a relocation.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Of course you did

Why would the Sharks relocate when they are about to embark of a huge redevelopment of their property at Woolooware, which is going to yield a fairly healthy dividend?
Just out of interest do you think the under funded Melbourne Rebels are on the Super Union’s vine of mediocrity?

Of course the Sharks wouldn't want to relocate. This is a hypothetical thread, a bit of fun that gives us something to discuss when we're in the middle of the off-season.

The Melbourne Rebels, weren't they the Vic based team from the now defunct ARC? Considering that comp no longer exists, I would imagine that they have been left hanging on Rugby's vine of mediocrity, along with all the other ARC teams. What's your point?

Green Machine

First Grade
Of course the Sharks wouldn't want to relocate. This is a hypothetical thread, a bit of fun that gives us something to discuss when we're in the middle of the off-season.
Yes, I know its a bit fun
The Melbourne Rebels, weren't they the Vic based team from the now defunct ARC? Considering that comp no longer exists, I would imagine that they have been left hanging on Rugby's vine of mediocrity, along with all the other ARC teams. What's your point?
My point was the new Melbourne team coming into the new Super 15 comp next season. It was reported today that they have a very bad funding shortfall,

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Yes, I know its a bit fun

My point was the new Melbourne team coming into the new Super 15 comp next season. It was reported today that they have a very bad funding shortfall,

Agreed about the fun.

As far as the Vic based S15 funding goes, I'm loathe to threadjack this fine thread to begin a discussion about that. I'm happy to discuss it with you in detail if you start a relevant thread. I will just say that with a year and a half till this team's first match, I'm sure there is plenty of time for the ARU to work out finances.

Green Machine

First Grade
Agreed about the fun.

As far as the Vic based S15 funding goes, I'm loathe to threadjack this fine thread to begin a discussion about that. I'm happy to discuss it with you in detail if you start a relevant thread. I will just say that with a year and a half till this team's first match, I'm sure there is plenty of time for the ARU to work out finances.

They’ll want to pull their fingers out. This baby could be as costly as the ARC Datsun 120Y Cup:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-14/3198178/Melbourne-rugby-franchise-not-so-super

Melbourne rugby franchise not so super
The new Melbourne Super 15 franchise is in disarray with investors pulling out after failing to agree to terms with the Australian Rugby Union over funding.
Members of the VicSuper15 group, who were involved in the winning bid for the new licence in the expanded 2011 competition, have "ceased negotiations" with the ARU, according to spokesman Ray Evans.
He said the group had European Cup-winning Australian coach Michael Cheika, who is currently with Irish side Leinster, lined up to coach Melbourne, and "possibly (Wallaby skipper) Rocky Elsom" but was unsure if that would now eventuate.
Mining magnate Kevin Maloney, one of the main backers of the franchise, is among investors to walk away saying the operation isn't viable.
The parties reached an impasse over funding, with the ARU unwilling to match an annual grant of $4.2m to the existing Australian Super sides.
They initially offered A$2.1m which was upped to $3m but members of VicSuper15 say it's insufficient.
The Melbourne side was set to be the first privately-funded franchise in a departure from traditional state-owned Super rugby teams, however if the ARU runs the team it will put it in a position of conflict of interest with the other state-run sides.
"They won't provide parity so we've basically said it's not commercial," Evans said.
"They're going to set it up now and hope that somebody's going to pay for it and make money out of it, I don't know how they're going to make it work.
"That's the major sticking point, that they weren't prepared to provide the same amount of TV rights as the other states."
Another investor, media buyer Harold Mitchell, is also said to be disillusioned with the ARU offering but is attempting to continue negotiations.
While the ARU will give the franchise a dispensation on the number of foreign players it can recruit, allowing up to 10, it's understood investors are concerned how they will pay for such players.
They are also wary of other costs such as marketing a new rugby franchise in the AFL heartland.
Evans said the ARU should look at the AFL, who are providing hefty financial and player concessions for the start-up of new franchises Gold Coast and Western Sydney.
"The ARU are trying to get us to start it up without any start-up costs and at a reduced income stream," Evans said.
Another VicSuper15 spokesman Travis Atkins said investors could be lured back if the ARU came to the table.
"Starting up a new team obviously makes it important that there's enough funding to do it in terms of support from the governing body as well as private equity, it's a commercial venture not philanthropy," he said.