What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah like O’Neill’s adventure land heading towards Cobbity, that area has changed, from being bushy area to being a concrete jungle, used to have drive in theatre in Caringbah that’s gone, it’s now a Bunnings, the last drive in I went to was Bass hill, that gone, I think for memory the only drive in theatre is Blacktown...

There were Drive Ins at Frenchs Forest, Dundas, North Ryde and Matraville also besides the ones you mention at Caringbah and Bass Hill and yes the only open in Sydney now is Blacktown, apart from pop up ones at Fairfield Showground, Randwick Racecourse and the car park at EQ [Fox Studios] but Blacktown is the only official one.

Jim Rockford

Bench
There's still one not from where I live in Adelaide.... I went there on a Saturday night last year to watch "Back to the Future".... the place was packed (as it is every friday and saturday night). And it was an awesome night out....
There used to be one down in Dundas Valley thats not that far from where I live. I used to go with the old man but I was super excited when I got my licence and used to go with my mates pretty regularly. Two movies for the price of one and the fact you could smoke made it so much better than going to the regular movies.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Does any one remember this burger chain, Hartee's ?
Was put up against McDonalds back in the early 70s, closed down when one of the suburban store was caught using dog food in their burgers.

19530497500_9dbf6d6c82_c[1].jpg

Jim Rockford

Bench
I believe that was the American chain Hardees. Just like Burger King became Hungry Jacks here, they changed their name to Hartees.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I believe that was the American chain Hardees. Just like Burger King became Hungry Jacks here, they changed their name to Hartees.

Yes it was, Kelloggs made an agreement with the American company Hardees to open franchises in Australia under the name Hartees, first one opened in 1971 at Earlwood, think it actually opened before the first McDonalds, it was a huge success until the Bankstown franchise in 1975 was caught with tons of empty cans of dog food in their dumpsters, after that it it just withered up and died.

3995B6DD-B76E-4064-9000-D6E5E4BB2AE2.jpeg
A bit off-topic, but I thought the panel would like to see some ultra modern euro design as applied to motor vehicles livery.

This is because we often like the design of older things so we appreciate form and pattern. I do for sure.

What I’m taken by is the forensics, it’s busy upon busy when looked at closely.

I should mention that the car is the “plus one” to the art. It’s a gallery piece and the artist paints many objects!

Closed doors might be better but anyway...

Last edited:
Yes it was, Kelloggs made an agreement with the American company Hardees to open franchises in Australia under the name Hartees, first one opened in 1971 at Earlwood, think it actually opened before the first McDonalds, it was a huge success until the Bankstown franchise in 1975 was caught with tons of empty cans of dog food in their dumpsters, after that it it just withered up and died.

That sounds like a massive stitch-up. People would know if they were eating dog food.

Sounds a bit like the skull-duggery that the Victorian state government has done to iCook.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That sounds like a massive stitch-up. People would know if they were eating dog food.

Sounds a bit like the skull-duggery that the Victorian state government has done to iCook.

Yes interesting, you would think people would have known.
I remember another case of a place in Bondi Beach called The Flying Pie Man which was also allegedly caught using dog food in their pies.

I just cut and pasted part of the article about Harties here.

In mid-1975, Willesee, a current affairs program on Channel 7, received a tip-off from Bankstown Council garbagemen that a hamburger restaurant at Bankstown had, on a regular basis, some very odd items in its dumpsters out the back. When reporters from the program went down to the Bankstown Hartee’s to investigate, they found that the bins outside were full of dog food cans. Further investigation revealed that the dog food was in fact being sliced into patties and used on the burgers at this particular location:
The devastating report went to air, crippling the Hartee’s brand in the public eye. Despite there being no evidence that such a practice went on in other Hartee’s locations, Kelloggs quickly and quietly abandoned its fast food venture. No official comment was given other than a generic ‘the venture was no longer profitable’ statement.

horrie hastings

First Grade
how could I have forgotten these two gems... especially the African Lion Safari..

I posted this a long time ago in here, many many pages back...

But worth another run..

Used to love when the Lions jumped up on the bonnet of the car, it was scary but wonderful at the same time. I remember signs around the drive in encounters saying if your car breaks down do not get out but sound your horn.

Yes interesting, you would think people would have known.
I remember another case of a place in Bondi Beach called The Flying Pie Man which was also allegedly caught using dog food in their pies.

I just cut and pasted part of the article about Harties here.

In mid-1975, Willesee, a current affairs program on Channel 7, received a tip-off from Bankstown Council garbagemen that a hamburger restaurant at Bankstown had, on a regular basis, some very odd items in its dumpsters out the back. When reporters from the program went down to the Bankstown Hartee’s to investigate, they found that the bins outside were full of dog food cans. Further investigation revealed that the dog food was in fact being sliced into patties and used on the burgers at this particular location:
The devastating report went to air, crippling the Hartee’s brand in the public eye. Despite there being no evidence that such a practice went on in other Hartee’s locations, Kelloggs quickly and quietly abandoned its fast food venture. No official comment was given other than a generic ‘the venture was no longer profitable’ statement.

Yeah, “anonymous garbage men”, not actual customers.

I know dog food, and I know a shithouse burger.

That sounds like a total sabotage/ stitch job.

Have a look at that “iCook” story going through the courts at the moment. It goes all the way up to the Vic State Government trying to a hatchet job for their own interests and “Suave Mr Sutto” is in it up to his eyeballs.

Check it out.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, “anonymous garbage men”, not actual customers.

I know dog food, and I know a shithouse burger.

That sounds like a total sabotage/ stitch job.

Makes you wonder if it wasn't a hatchet job done by McDonalds, Hartees actually got a slight head start on McDonalds in Australia and Hartees was very popular at the time, probably McDonalds trying to win all out domination of the Australian market.