What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Jim Rockford

Bench
Who else had one of these?
simple-simon-candy-sours-800x800.png

horrie hastings

First Grade
Kentucky was a treat for us, living in Mascot our local Kentucky was located in Eastlakes there was another situated near GMH..

Yes the one near GMH at Pagewood was the third one to open in Australia in 1969, we were still living in Paddington at the time and my father drove out to Pagewood with one of our neighbours and returned with buckets of this wonderful tasting new product.
Later on when were at Kingsford there was the Pagewood, Randwick and Eastlakes shops close by

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, that was well after I was working there. I worked there in 1986-1988.

The all you could eat was short lived, the Bondi Jct store did it also after the Carlingford one which was easier for me to get to, think i only did the Bondi Jct one twice, there is only so much chicken you could eat in one sitting.

horrie hastings

First Grade
This is the only photo i could find but when Kentucky Fried Chicken opened in Sydney, Henny Penny also opened many Sydney stores, there were stores in Casula, Cabramatta /CanleyVale and this one in Bondi Jct, not sure when Henny Penny finished up in Sydney but they were still in the country towns like Port Macquarie and Grafton in the 80s besides their original home town of Newcastle which is the only place they still exsit now.
Henny Penny at the time back then was interesting as their fried chicken packs only had breast or thigh pieces in them, if you wanted legs or wings you had buy them separately . Very unique taste at the time, their chicken was delicious but Kentucky Fried Chicken was more gimmicky at the time, looking back then Henny Penny was the better product but at the time KFC was more sort after.

gettyimages-1081064804-2048x2048.jpg

Jim Rockford

Bench
Did you get sick of the smell of the chicken or were staff allowed products at a discount price ?
I've always liked the smell of KFC. The only thing I got sick of was prepping the chicken. The rib pieces you had to break the bone and then jam your thumb into the cavity to force the giblets out. That got real old pretty quick. I seem to remember we got some sort of discount and the staff got to divide up any chicken that was left over at time of close.

Latest posts