What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

horrie hastings

First Grade
I remember Holly's from the K Mart at Blacktown - that one (K Mart, not Hollies) may have been the first in Australia. Worked for there for about a year in the late 90s doing night fill, it was gone by then. Still there, Coles is not (moved across to Westpoint) but can't remember if K Mart simply expanded or another store moved in.
Blacktown was the first K Mart store in Sydney but the second one in Australia, the first one opened in Burwood East in Vic.

Kmart AD 1968.jpg

Parra

Referee
My old man would buy ammunition at Kmart Warriewood Square in the mid 80's, they had a whole range of firearms too...different caliber rifles, scopes etc.

Imagine that now...so weird.

I could buy ammo at Kmart in the sports section. Was always under a glass counter. I was about 13 at the time. Got an air rifle and pellets. Never did save up for the .22. Could buy the ammo though. They had a cigarette aisle as well, cartons of any brand you could think of.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I recall the Kmart cafes but not the name Holly's. Chips & gravy and milkshakes were the go as a kid. Cheap.

To be honest , i don't remember Holly's either but i never really went to K Mart till i moved in to St Peters in the late 90's, i remember the K Mart at Marrickville Metro when it opened had a Cole's supermarket in it but the super market section closed after a few years.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Lol, i like the pic i posted on the page before and you see someone sitting at the table smoking, funny how you could smoke and eat at the same time back then.

Used to love the Cole's cafeteria in Liverpool st in the city, would go there after the movies or a visit to the museum, loved their trifle and jelly deserts.

Also remember Mc Dowells at Bondi Jct and mum would take us there for lunch and i would have a pie and chips and a strawberry milk shake mainly, there was something nice about the gravy they put on the pies, Mc Dowells used to have dining booths inside a fake tram which was nice when you were a kid.

Generalzod

Immortal
Lol, i like the pic i posted on the page before and you see someone sitting at the table smoking, funny how you could smoke and eat at the same time back then.

Used to love the Cole's cafeteria in Liverpool st in the city, would go there after the movies or a visit to the museum, loved their trifle and jelly deserts.

Also remember Mc Dowells at Bondi Jct and mum would take us there for lunch and i would have a pie and chips and a strawberry milk shake mainly, there was something nice about the gravy they put on the pies, Mc Dowells used to have dining booths inside a fake tram which was nice when you were a kid.
The same Mcdowells from Coming to America lol

Just realised it too LOL!!!!

When I first started going to NSWRL and international cricket in the very early 90's people use to smoke. Hell, pubs, clubs, gigs...all smoke filled. Even university halls and bank branches too. Remember when branches use to have the cylinder bins with sand on top for ashing butts?

horrie hastings

First Grade

When I first started going to NSWRL and international cricket in the very early 90's people use to smoke. Hell, pubs, clubs, gigs...all smoke filled. Even university halls and bank branches too. Remember when branches use to have the cylinder bins with sand on top for ashing butts?

Yep i remember those cylinder bins with sand on top, also the trays on the floor too which had sand in them to flick the butts in. Remember when the buses had the smoking and no smoking sections, the back four or five rows in the old buses were smoking areas, also planes having the smoking sections.
Still clearly remember coming home from pubs and clubs and hanging your clothes out to air to get rid of the smoke smell.

Parra

Referee

Everyone smoked between courses. Who cared what the other tables were doing? Hard to believe now. Even maccas had those little foil ashtrays.

My old man worked in the public service and travelled and moved a lot. The amount of welcome or farewell ashtrays or gift smoking paraphernalia he collected through the 70s and 80s and early 90s… he could start a museum.

For some reason I used to wake up early and on the week days around 5am to 6am (I think) and watch this travel show about Britan (late 80;s to early 90's) if anyone knows what i'm talking about I would love to watch it again. Have no idea of the name of the show.

Reflector

Juniors

Just had a flashback to watching 'Malcolm' the other week

HANDS UP YOU ARSEHOLES!