What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Life's Good

Coach
Handball or Cricket.
A tennis ball always brings back good memories of the school yard days..

tb.jpg
So true. I remember getting to school early to secure the handball court on a freezing winter morning. Memories of grazed fingertips & knuckles don’t go away easily!

horrie hastings

First Grade
There were also Total, Esso, Ampol and Neptune. Mobil were Mobilgas when I was a kid.

Yep, remember all of them, Caltex took over Ampol, I had to do a double take when I was in Western Australia last month but I did see a Ampol branded petrol station there, can’t remember exactly where though. Esso were everywhere, I still remember a lot of those tiny Spanish style Esso stations back in the late 60s, also the put a Tiger in your tank ads. Total had the Oh What A Gas promos. Neptune was taken over by Shell, I remember one Neptune station out at Liverpool, Neptune ceased to exist after 1969.

beave

Coach
i’d only ever seen Golden Fleeces when I went on holidays to NSW, I don’t remember them in QLD. Well NQ at least.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Amoco petrol ads, the first one filmed at Tilba Tilba. The third one was sung partly by Sharon Redd, I have it on my ipod :)

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee

As soon as this song would play, I knew my time infront of the telly was over. Even listening to it now triggers a Pavlovian response.

___

Juniors
Famous commercials when I was a kid:

$6.95 all you can eat dinner? It's no wonder they didn't go broke lol.

I remember going to the Pizza Hut in Canterbury. I used to love it. Pizza then salad and finally dessert :p

Das Gupta

Juniors
So true. I remember getting to school early to secure the handball court on a freezing winter morning. Memories of grazed fingertips & knuckles don’t go away easily!

I use to get to school early as well to maximise playing time. One of the worse things was hitting a bald tennis ball in the winter months. Those first few shots stung.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Still have one too, I still sometimes take mine to the beach and play some old mixed dance tapes back from the 90s when I cant be bothered with my ipod.

I mainly use the radio side of it now early in the morning but its good for when I go out and want to listen to a rugby league or cricket call.
Occasionally when I am walking and the MP3 is flat I take it and listen to a few old taped songs. I suppose I could track down the songs and shift them to the MP3 player but I like using it for nostalgic reasons, even thought the tape needs to be wound back in with a pencil or the batteries go flat quick.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I mainly use the radio side of it now early in the morning but its good for when I go out and want to listen to a rugby league or cricket call.
Occasionally when I am walking and the MP3 is flat I take it and listen to a few old taped songs. I suppose I could track down the songs and shift them to the MP3 player but I like using it for nostalgic reasons, even thought the tape needs to be wound back in with a pencil or the batteries go flat quick.

Still have a discman too, got it out a few months ago to see whether it still works and it does, lol they used to be so portable but are large and clunky compared to an MP3,iPod or phone these days.