What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacement for Inglis?

chefman21

Juniors
Wouldn't it be better to save what you have left and use a fair bit of it to extend your youngsters contracts? Guys like Hoffman, Gillett, Norman and Hunt are going to be off contract in the next couple of years, and I think they will be VERY hot property. I really don't think the Broncos need to be getting another high profile centre just yet. The quality of talent you guys have coming through in multiple positions - including the centres - astounds me. Give them a season and a half to really show their goods and get some consistency. It would be such a shame to lose a youngster.

I think a replacement for Lockyer is the most important one to be looking at. If Hunt or Norman fail, then I think you need to take a long hard look at what the club is going to do. I'd be getting Hunt or Norman on the bench all season bar none. They need to get a few games and experience under their belts. And I think the club needs to sit down with Lockyer and see what he wants to do about rep football. If I were a Broncos fan, I would be hoping this year was his last rep season, and the Four Nations Final was his last game. I think if he gives up rep football he has two outstanding years in front of him, and is probably the best chance for the Broncos to win a grand final for the next 4-6 years. If he continues, I think the club suffers during critical times of the season. He can handle rep football for two more years, but when he leaves for rep football you lose continuity. I just think it would be nice to have two full years of one of the greats leading the club around for one last hoorah.

schnitzel

Juniors
How would Norman go as a centre? He seems to have good footwork and pace, and the skills to put away his winger. Could be a way to groom him as Lockyer's replacement in a few years....?

AuDragon

Juniors
How would Norman go as a centre? He seems to have good footwork and pace, and the skills to put away his winger. Could be a way to groom him as Lockyer's replacement in a few years....?
I'm afraid he's a bit of a turnstyle in defense and his pace isn't that fantastic, but with work... who knows?

whykickamoocow

Juniors
A mate and I were talking about this at work today, not the worst idea, Fitler and Daley did there time in the centres before moving to six. Would have to work on his defence quite a bit though

Dazzat

First Grade
Tonga is a long shot. I'd love him to come to the club ... he's a more stable character than Inglis ... plays a lot more consistently when fit.

For me Beale is the likely centre to partner Hodges next year. He consistently breaks tackles and looks the goods. Glenn was solid - no more, no less.

While I was ecstatic about Inglis coming to the club originally, I'm equally comfortable with him leaving. In retrospect his club form with Melbourne over the last two years has been very very inconsistent. His reputation is built on several feats of genius a year, separated by longer and longer periods of absence ... very much the pattern of such players as Willie Mason and Frank Pritchard.

Give me consistency over spasmodic brilliance any day.

hellteam

First Grade
Tonga is a long shot. I'd love him to come to the club ... he's a more stable character than Inglis ... plays a lot more consistently when fit.

For me Beale is the likely centre to partner Hodges next year. He consistently breaks tackles and looks the goods. Glenn was solid - no more, no less.

While I was ecstatic about Inglis coming to the club originally, I'm equally comfortable with him leaving. In retrospect his club form with Melbourne over the last two years has been very very inconsistent. His reputation is built on several feats of genius a year, separated by longer and longer periods of absence ... very much the pattern of such players as Willie Mason and Frank Pritchard.

Give me consistency over spasmodic brilliance any day.

Yeah you're right about Inglis, as everyone knows he does get up for the big games, I was hoping that seeing as we play in front of nearly 40k every week he would turn up at least every home match, so is disappointing to lose him.

Now he'll have to do it playing in front of 15k in an 80k stadium in ugly green and red jerseys..

AuDragon

Juniors
Yeah you're right about Inglis, as everyone knows he does get up for the big games, I was hoping that seeing as we play in front of nearly 40k every week he would turn up at least every home match, so is disappointing to lose him.

Now he'll have to do it playing in front of 15k in an 80k stadium in ugly green and red jerseys..
15k?
How generous of you! :lol:

Big Pete

Referee

Fingers crossed Henjak actually looks to make him into a centre and the Broncos can condition him into one. He and Copley will be battling it out.

:lol: You won't even see 5k at South Sydney if they're losing. If they're succesful though holy s**t it'll be 40-50K a game with a lot of 'life-long' South Sydney supporters filling the stadium.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
To me it seems like they are trying to turn Beale into a utility type player. He has played so many different positions in the last 2 years (in first grade and U20s) and lately has spent a bit of time at lock and from a picture I saw he looks a bit bigger too. But with Inglis not coming now maybe they will work on him being a centre. I hope they do because you can never have too many options.

screeder

Juniors
Feel sorry for Tate but damn the boys won't let Tonga go now.

I see Copley as being our best potential option on the roster but we need others like Glenn and Beale to push him.

Titanic

First Grade
Why not raid AFL? One of those lanky sheilas could well fill the left centre role and stick it fair up their tight-pantsed clackers.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
there was an AFL player last year when cutie announced his move that said he would be interested in playing league because of the physicality, could be an option and i would like to see the AFL scramble. If anyone remembers his name can you post it?

Not saying its realistic but it would be good for promotional purposes.

bfoord

Juniors
there was an AFL player last year when cutie announced his move that said he would be interested in playing league because of the physicality, could be an option and i would like to see the AFL scramble. If anyone remembers his name can you post it?

the problem is that there are no cap concessions for poaching AFL players (even if only for promotional reasons)

Broncos93

Juniors

Difference is, people will pay to watch a League player start playing AFL, but no one will pay to see an AFL player trying League.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
from memeory he was quite a big guy who could tackle really well. Granted its unrealistic but i would still like to see the AFL squirm even if he went to another club

Smiley

Bench
I think it was Max Rooke from the Geelong Cats.

Retired this season at the age of 28.