What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
How do you sort it though? If CA didn’t want to change what’s the alternative? You seem to think you have all the answers but aren’t sharing what they are

That's my answer and criticism. The organisers should have seen this coming! I've got a hunch they did (organiser's sudden resignation a month b4 the series ). He basically avoided the heat from a poorly planned and marketed world cup. His baby but he wasn’t around to cop the flack! My point is that it would not be impossible to arrange such an outcome. It never happened. Pity for this greatly underrated and relatively hidden code!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
That's my answer and criticism. The organisers should have seen this coming! I've got a hunch they did (organiser's sudden resignation a month b4 the series ). He basically avoided the heat from a poorly planned and marketed world cup. His baby but he wants around to cop the flack! My point is that it would not be impossible to arrange such an outcome. It never happened. Pity for this greatly underrated and relatively hidden code!

If it’s not impossible how about you tell us?

Stallion

First Grade
True but lets talk about why our code had problems in russia, morrocco, uae, south africa and so on. Unfortunately we are seen as a copy cat.

Actually moreso on the ground issues I think. Remembering in Russia the game was going gangbusters(80/90s) and then those with power and influence and bias toward union did their dirty deceitful tricks to undermine rugby league. I agree its an awareness thing. But I get the feeling union would prefer us to ditch the name of rugby league for their own greedy pursuits. Historically it's a rugby code that broke away for player remuneration and rights. It's as purer form of rugby as what union think it is. The "friends in high places" is the issue for rugby league. The UAE: the marketer was jailed for promoting a deviant form of rugby! This would have stemmed from a union biased individual or group that would have grown up believing this is so. (another on the ground example of repression ) I recommend you read the attached article "The plight of rugby league in South Africa" . It's very telltale on what has been going on to thwart rugby league! I genuinely believe that access and presence in the elite private schools of the world would change this difficult scenario for rugby league very quickly. And this I believe is why union people will steadfastly not give rugby league such presence. The union people are shit scared of rugby league as it is a superior sports product but not given the recognition and presence it deserves as a very inclusive football code as far as playing is concerned (eg. all players get a good chance to run with the ball and tackle -unlike union )

Attachments

• RL.The plight of South African rugby league (1) (1) (1).pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
If it’s not impossible how about you tell us?

Lol. Prudent proactive organisers of that world cup would have spotted the problem and negotiated a compromise. I'm not within that realm professionally. But where their is a will there should be a way! They didn't!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Lol. Prudent proactive organisers of that world cup would have spotted the problem and negotiated a compromise. I'm not within that realm professionally. But where their is a will there should be a way! They didn't!
What compromise could possibly have been made?

Holding the RLWC final on the Friday night instead, leading to less eyeballs on the women's final which preceded it?

Cricket wasn't going to move.

Pommy

Coach

Holding the RLWC final on the Friday night instead, leading to less eyeballs on the women's final which preceded it?

You couldn’t have done it on a Friday night as it would have made it a Friday morning in England.

Stallion

First Grade

Timmah. I'm suggesting that cricket could have been asked to alter in order for both codes to coexist and gain from no clash on this particular weekend? Still think that a daytime test could have been achieved? Understand that you think CA would not change. And perhaps this would be the case as other interests (which I've previously alluded to were within CA organisation at that time) So in the fullness of time to have a rugby-league world cup final be compromised by a day/night Ashes test on that particular Saturday was a very unfortunate 'coincidence' . The end result being a reduced overall tv ratings performance for rugby league's world cup final . I think it's a shame how this eventuated and plans should have been made/attempted to avoid this clash/split in tv audience. Surely a day test could have been the compromise?The day/night test could have been played at another time? This is where proactive negotiation and sports cooperating with eachother should be at play. After all it was a rugby league world cup final and an Ashes cricket test (normally played fully in the daytime)that were compromised as far as tv viewing numbers during the night session of the cricket. It could have been a day test if all was cordial . Perhaps with other influences you may be right and it was no chance. Still should have been discussed and identified as an issue in my opinion. It did impact on tv ratings during that timeslot. Especially with England and Australia both at play. PS:For example : I am an ex district first grade cricketer and &RL player and would have enjoyed the day much more if I was able to fully watch the Ashes cricket day and then look forward to the world cup final that night.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Timmah. I'm suggesting that cricket could have been asked to alter in order for both codes to coexist and gain from no clash on this particular weekend? Still think that a daytime test could have been achieved? Understand that you think CA would not change. And perhaps this would be the case as other interests (which I've previously alluded to were within CA organisation at that time) So in the fullness of time to have a rugby-league world cup final be compromised by a day/night Ashes test on that particular Saturday was a very unfortunate 'coincidence' . The end result being a reduced overall tv ratings performance for rugby league's world cup final . I think it's a shame how this eventuated and plans should have been made/attempted to avoid this clash/split in tv audience. Surely a day test could have been the compromise?The day/night test could have been played at another time? This is where proactive negotiation and sports cooperating with eachother should be at play. After all it was a rugby league world cup final and an Ashes cricket test (normally played fully in the daytime)that were compromised as far as tv viewing numbers during the night session of the cricket. It could have been a day test if all was cordial . Perhaps with other influences you may be right and it was no chance. Still should have been discussed and identified as an issue in my opinion. It did impact on tv ratings during that timeslot. Especially with England and Australia both at play. PS:For example : I am an ex district first grade cricketer and &RL player and would have enjoyed the day much more if I was able to fully watch the Ashes cricket day and then look forward to the world cup final that night.

Ashes cricket in Australia is always going to have a day/night test going forward it’s too much of a money maker for CA.
Just a thought (no evidence to back this up at all) but I’m not sure a clash was a bad thing for CA.
Think of it this way they had a huge swathes of the eastern states sitting down to watch the final and making a night of it, what do you think they did before and after? I’m convinced the clash was probably a big win for that test.

Stallion

First Grade
Ashes cricket in Australia is always going to have a day/night test going forward it’s too much of a money maker for CA.
Just a thought (no evidence to back this up at all) but I’m not sure a clash was a bad thing for CA.
Think of it this way they had a huge swathes of the eastern states sitting down to watch the final and making a night of it, what do you think they did before and after? I’m convinced the clash was probably a big win for that test.

You seem to think the day/night test was a feature of an Ashes tour on the past. I've got news for you it was an experiment. First time ever. You would have perhaps try it when a rugby league world cup final was not on that weekend? But no let's select this particular test for a day/night experiment!? Right on target with a rugby league world cup final. A bit too cosy for my liking!

Pommy

Coach
You seem to think the day/night test was a feature of an Ashes tour on the past. I've got news for you it was an experiment. First time ever. You would have perhaps try it when a rugby league world cup final was not on that weekend? But no let's select this particular test for a day/night experiment!? Right on target with a rugby league world cup final. A bit too cosy for my liking!

Where have I ever said that it’s been a part of previous ashes tours? It was however the third consecutive year in a row that a day night test had been played at around that time of year.
It will also be a feature of ashes series going forward.
Even if they did do it on purpose why shouldn’t they? If they felt it was going to work well for them then they should do it
Every sport is out for itself and if rugby league ever feels it can advance itself by doing something at the expense of another sport it should do so.

Stallion

First Grade
Where have I ever said that it’s been a part of previous ashes tours? It was however the third consecutive year in a row that a day night test had been played at around that time of year.
Even if they did do it on purpose why shouldn’t they? If they felt it was going to work well for them then they should do it
Every sport is out for itself and if rugby league ever feels it can advance itself by doing something at the expense of another sport it should do so.

Lol. It was a rugby league world cup final in Australia! I suspect the dates for prior day/night testo were not at this time of the season!?

It was a rugby league world cup final in Australia. As big as it gets! And you think it's not in the interest of both sports to.not clash?! I dissagree. Something , with goodwill involved, could have been arranged. It wasn't. Both sports suffered with split tv audiences when played in opposition to eachother. It particularly was not a good outcome for rugby league given it was their absolute big Dance!

Pommy

Coach
Lol. It was a rugby league world cup final in Australia! I suspect the dates for prior day/night testo were not at this time of the season!?

It was a rugby league world cup final in Australia. As big as it gets! And you think it's not in the interest of both sports to.not clash?! I dissagree. Something , with goodwill involved, could have been arranged. It wasn't. Both sports suffered with split tv audiences when played in opposition to eachother. It particularly was not a good outcome for rugby league given it was their absolute big Dance!

As has been pointed out you by someone else in this thread the dates were in the same ball park for the previous three day night tests.

Previous day/night tests at Adelaide
27/11/15 - 1/12/15
24/11/16 - 28/11/16
2/12/17 - 6/12/17 game in question. They’re all roughly together.
India refuse to play day night tests so that why 2017 didn’t have one. But the adailade test was 6/12/18-10/12/18 again around the same time.

I speculate it was in CA interest to clash, a nice big captive tv audience looking for another big sporting event either side of the final.
Pure speculation I know but if anyone could point me to the viewing figures for the test I would be very interested.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While it was the first Ashes day/night test, it certainly wasn't the first day/night test played in Australia or Adelaide as you seem to imply.

Day/night tests were played in Adelaide in 2015 (27 Nov to 1 Dec, against NZ); and 2016 (24-28 November, against South Africa); and another a few weeks later in Brisbane in 2016 (15-19 Dec, against Pakistan).

It was by no means an 'experiment', it had been tried and tested against lesser nations and deemed a success in the years leading up to it, played at the same venue and in the same rough timeframe as the two summers previous.

Please stick to facts and not speculation.

Stavros

Bench
That's my answer and criticism. The organisers should have seen this coming! I've got a hunch they did (organiser's sudden resignation a month b4 the series ). He basically avoided the heat from a poorly planned and marketed world cup. His baby but he wasn’t around to cop the flack! My point is that it would not be impossible to arrange such an outcome. It never happened. Pity for this greatly underrated and relatively hidden code!
Stallion pull your head in. No other sport is going to worry about the Rugby League World Cup mate as much as you like to think so.
The Ashes cricket has viewers from a wide array of countries the Rugby League World Cup from 3 or 4.
Please stop with this victimization its embarrassing

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion pull your head in. No other sport is going to worry about the Rugby League World Cup mate as much as you like to think so.
The Ashes cricket has viewers from a wide array of countries the Rugby League World Cup from 3 or 4.
Please stop with this victimization its embarrassing

Stavros we dissagree. This code is subject to a repression like no other football code I know of. Your choice to agree with this correct or not! The truth needs to be discussed and a pointer for improving a genuinely constricting and limiting scenario for this more deserving sport. I'll stand by that! You may not!?

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Stavros we dissagree. This code is subject to a repression like no other football code I know of. Your choice to agree with this correct or not! The truth needs to be discussed and a pointer for improving a genuinely constricting and limiting scenario for this more deserving sport. I'll stand by that! You may not!?

Another event being played at the same time isn’t being opressed though.

Stavros

Bench
Stallion pull your head in.
People simply weren't interested in the tournament and cricket officials wouldn't have battered an eyelid towards the final that it was played at the same time.
Please just wake up and smell the roses

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion pull your head in.
People simply weren't interested in the tournament and cricket officials wouldn't have battered an eyelid towards the final that it was played at the same time.
Please just wake up and smell the roses

It's a valid point Stavros. We dissagree! We are discussing top flight sport amounting to millions of dollars in product advertising per telecast . I'm sure the marketers and the corporate arm of both sports would be interested in viewership numbers. Itso good business acumen! Very important for the codes as the adverts and such pay the bills and give the sport it's bottom line or whatever.

Stavros

Bench
It's a valid point Stavros. We dissagree! We are discussing top flight sport amounting to millions of dollars in product advertising per telecast . I'm sure the marketers and the corporate arm of both sports would be interested in viewership numbers. Itso good business acumen! Very important for the codes as the adverts and such pay the bills and give the sport it's bottom line or whatever.
Stallion as I said before the cricket mob wouldn't have cared when the League Final was on. They have International viewers from around the World and they have cricket being our national sport.
You have to get it through your head other sports and their admin teams dont worry about a League World cup final as a threat

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the issue with the 2017 World Cup was entirely Rugby League's. Pathetic advertising/promotion anywhere and the inability/decision to secure grounds in heartland regions like Sydney and Brisbane for marquee matches were the biggest issues and had nothing to do with the cricket.

Here in Melbourne I think I saw maybe a dozen posters around the city (mostly at AAMI Park). There was nothing on local radio or in Newspapers. Channel 7 basically did most of the promotion.

It felt like the NRL had every intention of distancing itself from the WC. I saw better promotion for Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Rebels games down here.

That alone was a huge problem. I met with some RL Journo's and historians in Melbourne who had travelled from the UK and they were amazed at how little promotion there was for the game, and that's saying something given the profile of RL in the UK today.

One guy came to follow Wales and look at their schedule - Game 1 - Port Moresby, Game 2 - Townsville, Game 3 - Perth, then he had to cover a game in Melbourne for a UK magazine.

That amount of travel is absurd for 3 games.

Another was reporting on the England games, a marquee team and they played at Melbourne (twice), Sydney, Perth, Auckland and Brisbane.

Having the games spread out so far, across a number of countries makes it hard and very expensive for fans to travel to and support. These are facts which I think are very important yet often ignored. A lot of the problems Rugby League faces today stem from it's own poor management first. Be it planning, inaction or an unwillingness to fight.

That's not to say that there aren't other outside factors, but I think in a line of conversation like this, it is wise to look at the game's own failings first and foremost.

The game can never grow and expand if it is poorly run, regardless of the antics of other sports. A well run game can withstand the attacks of outside influences. A poorly run game will continue to be trod upon by them.

The game's governing body has long needed and appears to be heading in the direction of finally having some ticker.

It needs to stand up to both the RFL and NRL and tell them clearly "The RLIF runs Rugby League. Not the NRL. Not the RFL."

For too long the International body was dictated to by the major nations.