What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'm not averse to cross promotion with those codes, however your stance on horse racing is not fair or warranted. I particularly did not mention any other forms of racing like greyhounds. Thoroughbred horseracing , especially in the Spring is very good profile. And your derision of horse racing would not sit well with respected people like the Queen etc. So we differ on the horseracing racing as a worthy cross promotion. It's primetIme and helps promote this code that does have issues with promoting it's grandfinal in Sydney.
The response to the Opera House - Everest cross promotion late last year suggests that horse racing's profile isn't as good as you think.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not averse to cross promotion with those codes, however your stance on horse racing is not fair or warranted. I particularly did not mention any other forms of racing like greyhounds. Thoroughbred horseracing , especially in the Spring is very good profile. And your derision of horse racing would not sit well with respected people like the Queen etc. So we differ on the horseracing racing as a worthy cross promotion. It's primetIme and helps promote this code that does have issues with promoting it's grandfinal in Sydney.
Horse racing has woeful attendance figures for nearly all meets (bar the handful of Group 1's which are televised in the Spring Carnival) and have equally bad TV audiences.

Nothing about that union would benefit Rugby League. Seriously.

Throw in the bad press around racing in general, animal welfare, betting concerns in society (there's a reason why the NRL has scaled back the involvement that sports betting companies have in the game), and it becomes a no-brainer.

Furthermore, the NRL needs its marketing to hit all audiences. Not a great deal of people under the age of 18 are watching Sky Racing.

Seriously mate, have a think about it.

Furthermore, I don't give a shit about the Queen's non-existent opinion of my attitude to horse racing. You are the one in another thread complaining about League being subservient to Union, but now you're worried about what a family of Pro-Union people in the UK thinks.

Fair dinkum mate.

Stallion

First Grade
Horse racing has woeful attendance figures for nearly all meets (bar the handful of Group 1's which are televised in the Spring Carnival) and have equally bad TV audiences.

Nothing about that union would benefit Rugby League. Seriously.

Throw in the bad press around racing in general, animal welfare, betting concerns in society (there's a reason why the NRL has scaled back the involvement that sports betting companies have in the game), and it becomes a no-brainer.

Furthermore, the NRL needs its marketing to hit all audiences. Not a great deal of people under the age of 18 are watching Sky Racing.

Seriously mate, have a think about it.

Furthermore, I don't give a shit about the Queen's non-existent opinion of my attitude to horse racing. You are the one in another thread complaining about League being subservient to Union, but now you're worried about what a family of Pro-Union people in the UK thinks.

Fair dinkum mate.

That's a tad unfair. We were discussing horse racing. The Royals union support is more a result of private school upbringing. Nothing less nothing more. My comment specifically related to the Spring Carnival which is massive and global. God knows rugby league needs some decent cross promotion for its grandfinal and the Randwick race day prior to Grandfinal day would be appropriate and timely. At the moment it's an insular marketing outlook I'm seeing for our prime product: the NRL grandfinal.

Valheru

Coach
A one off promotion. I do punt and know this. It's a fair idea. Just using imaginative license but it doesn't bode well for some on this site!

They actually already do cross promote.

NRL GF tickets include entry to the race day (Epsom) the day before at Randwick, at least it did last year. Not sure about this year as those 2 events are separate weekends due to quirks of the calendar.

Pretty sure the NRL had naming rights to one of the races too although not 100% on that one.

Timmah

Staff member
That's a tad unfair. We were discussing horse racing. The Royals union support is more a result of private school upbringing. Nothing less nothing more. My comment specifically related to the Spring Carnival which is massive and global. God knows rugby league needs some decent cross promotion for its grandfinal and the Randwick race day prior to Grandfinal day would be appropriate and timely. At the moment it's an insular marketing outlook I'm seeing for our prime product: the NRL grandfinal.
It sells out every year and is either the highest, 2nd highest or 3rd highest rating program on TV each year.

Do you really want to sit there and tell me the NRL Grand Final is "insular at marketing"?

(not to mention they already do cross-promotion with the ARC)

Stallion

First Grade
It sells out every year and is either the highest, 2nd highest or 3rd highest rating program on TV each year.

Do you really want to sit there and tell me the NRL Grand Final is "insular at marketing"?

(not to mention they already do cross-promotion with the ARC)

Think they can do better!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think they can do better!
Do not take this personally. I am speaking solely on a business perspective.

The NRL should stop aligning with horse racing, which is largely watched by drunk gamblers, and align with other sports that aren't in direct competition with the NRL, which are played in the NRL's off-season, which kids love getting involved with and watch (hence why I suggested Soccer, Basketball and Cricket)

1 month of horse racing affiliation, which ends in mid-November is pointless.

There's 3 and a half months with no major races on FTA after the Melbourne Cup. All you're advocating for is one extra month of attention on the game, after the season has ended.

Pick a sport, a proper sport, which ends nearer to when the NRL begins, that way you can build interest and anticipation leading into the upcoming season.

I deride racing because i don't regard it as a sport. This cross-promotion idea, as a concept, would provide little to no value to the NRL because kids (along with the majority of the nation) do not attend or watch horse racing.

Just because you do is not indicative of the nations viewing habits.

It makes zero business sense mate.

Cross promoting Rugby League is a very good idea.

Doing it with horse racing though, is not.

Stallion

First Grade
Do not take this personally. I am speaking solely on a business perspective.

The NRL should stop aligning with horse racing, which is largely watched by drunk gamblers, and align with other sports that aren't in direct competition with the NRL, which are played in the NRL's off-season, which kids love getting involved with and watch (hence why I suggested Soccer, Basketball and Cricket)

1 month of horse racing affiliation, which ends in mid-November is pointless.

There's 3 and a half months with no major races on FTA after the Melbourne Cup. All you're advocating for is one extra month of attention on the game, after the season has ended.

Pick a sport, a proper sport, which ends nearer to when the NRL begins, that way you can build interest and anticipation leading into the upcoming season.

I deride racing because i don't regard it as a sport. This cross-promotion idea, as a concept, would provide little to no value to the NRL because kids (along with the majority of the nation) do not attend or watch horse racing.

Just because you do is not indicative of the nations viewing habits.

It makes zero business sense mate.

Cross promoting Rugby League is a very good idea.

Doing it with horse racing though, is not.

We differ. Remembering I'm suggesting a cross promotion at this particular meeting leading into the NRL Grand Final. Kids do follow horse racing. Their is a horse called Winx that has captured the imagination of the general public. So I dissagree that kids and the general public are not interested. I'm not suggesting over a long period either. I'm particularly suggesting the cross promotion occur on the Saturday prior to the Grandfinal. More of a celebration of this game and it would gain global publicity for the NRL grandfinal. Definitely not looking at an all encompassing arrangement more so for this particular weekend where the horse racing is big and so is rugby league.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Grand Final gets immense coverage anyways.

Barely any kids watch horse racing. I'm confident that the number who do are in such a small percentage that it's not worth counting.

We should be cross promoting the game in it's off-season, not just for one big game that saturates the media anyway.

Stallion

First Grade
The Grand Final gets immense coverage anyways.

Barely any kids watch horse racing. I'm confident that the number who do are in such a small percentage that it's not worth counting.

We should be cross promoting the game in it's off-season, not just for one big game that saturates the media anyway.

No argument with further cross promotion. Think the cross promotion with horse racing that particular weekend may reap a more international notoriety for the NRL grandfinal than thought. After all rugby league is not so well known internationally and you never know what interest or sponsor might pop up and see the merits in being involved in this not so well known football code with its centerpiece clearly being the Australian rugby league grandfinal (internationally speaking ).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only the Melbourne Cup has the potential to be screened Internationally and that's a month after the Grand Final, again making the tenuous link between the two irrelevant.

Stallion

First Grade
Only the Melbourne Cup has the potential to be screened Internationally and that's a month after the Grand Final, again making the tenuous link between the two irrelevant.

Horse racing in NSW has been lead recently by Peter Velandes.A pronounced push to get the younger 20s to 30s demographic has been recently achieved with new races like the Everest.(40000 crowd last spring) This type of promotion can be harnessed and used by rugby league in a cross promotion with horse racing. The Saturday before grandfinal day can be a celebration of the NRL grandfinal at Randwick. A designated race with jockeys silks wearing club jumpers would be a great way to embrace and add to our grand final weekend. Not after a whole carnival or season, just that particular race day on that particular weekend. It would certainly increase global and interstate awareness of the NRL grandfinal and take some air out of an opposing codes grandfinal day.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not 20's and 30's that the NRL needs to target, it's the 8's and 10's mate.

Grassroots stuff.

Horse racing has zero appeal to nearly every child at that age.

Stallion

First Grade
Its not 20's and 30's that the NRL needs to target, it's the 8's and 10's mate.

Grassroots stuff.

Horse racing has zero appeal to nearly every child at that age.

That's not the market age in this discussion. Understand you are discussing kids (which is a good thing-"would love a twilight GF. ." that would sort out the kids issue! ) However it's another market, the global.adult market that can be further explored through a decent cross promotion at Randwick the day prior to the NRL grandfinal . Agree with your kids angle however this other angle is a winner as well for perhaps a more lucrative adult global & interstate market. Both approaches have their merits.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
That's not the market age in this discussion. Understand you are discussing kids (which is a good thing-"would love a twilight GF. ." that would sort out the kids issue! ) However it's another market, the global.adult market that can be further explored through a decent cross promotion at Randwick the day prior to the NRL grandfinal . Agree with your kids angle however this other angle is a winner as well for perhaps a more luctlrative adult global & interstate market. Both approaches have their merits.
What's the value in promoting the NRL Grand Final the day before the event? Unless one or both teams are from interstate, tickets are almost always nearly sold out by that time.

Focus on something else a bit more worthwhile, this isn't worth your energy.

Stallion

First Grade
What's the value in promoting the NRL Grand Final the day before the event? Unless one or both teams are from interstate, tickets are almost always nearly sold out by that time.

Focus on something else a bit more worthwhile, this isn't worth your energy.

It's moreso a deserved celebration of the grandfinal event. Just think it adds to it and the added chance you may open doors elsewhere for this code? Think it's fair.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
It's moreso a deserved celebration of the grandfinal event. Just think it add a to it and the added pillicit you may open doors elsewhere for this code? Think it's fair.
Can you please take the time to spell check your posts before submitting? I genuinely don't understand the second half of your post.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not the market age in this discussion. Understand you are discussing kids (which is a good thing-"would love a twilight GF. ." that would sort out the kids issue! ) However it's another market, the global.adult market that can be further explored through a decent cross promotion at Randwick the day prior to the NRL grandfinal . Agree with your kids angle however this other angle is a winner as well for perhaps a more luctlrative adult global & interstate market. Both approaches have their merits.
Again, I see no merit in promoting Rugby League in Australia's spring, when the game has already ended it's season. There's no upcoming games to promote and the next season is several months away from beginning.

It's entirely the wrong demographic.

I disagree with this concept, not because of who proposed it, but because I see zero business sense in it.

Marketing should be trying to promote the game ALL off-season, for the entire sport, not just 1 game that already makes a shit tonne of money.

I honestly don't think you have thought through this idea on anything more than a "My opinion is right" level.