What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Stallion

First Grade
Publicity and cross promotion of rugby league will be an intriguing watch for the coming season. Notice a concerted effort to advertise the SOO in Perth and a push for the indigenous all stars game in Melbourne. It will be interesting to see if a concerted effort to publicise the World nines and the end of season tests occurs.I might add that cross promotion of things like the NRL grandfinal and ladies rugby league finals with sports like horse racing (eg: NRL Grand final race with jockeys wearing club jumpers in silks on Saturday b4 grandfinal Sunday etc) would help the profile of the code. Seeing what the "marketing" people do for these aspects for rugby-league this season will be worth noting. As it stands marketing has been lacking in both cross promotion and intent by rugby league for some time now.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I doubt we'll see much publicity for SOO as its almost sold out so they dont need to push it to sell tickets. There'll be a bit of hype in the month leading up but like with NRL games here it is a one off then it all dies off again. There is zero communication plan for NRL in WA.

re marketing, last year was year 1 of the significant revenue increase for the NRL. If we didn't see much different last year I wouldn't hold my breath it will be any better this year.

Stallion

First Grade
With Union 7s they count all tickets sold (or given away) for the event - not the actual number sitting in the stadium. There is usually lots going on outside the stadium and many turn up for a couple hours and move on. Only the diehard sport fans stay for the whole day.

There is no reason why we shouldn’t have 30k for both days if each RL club in Sydney promotes this. Give them all 1k to sell to their fans and they get $10 from each sale. Simple.

The 'given away tickets' part of the marketing is misleading . It was clearly not near capacity at any stage of the union7s tournament. There was massive areas of completely empty seats at each end for all days. Seems like the people that count the AFL attendances for this venue are also counting the union7s crowd numbers. At no stage was Spotless stadium even at half full capacity! I'm thinking realistic crowd numbers of maybe 8000 at most! What's reported in the SMH(..nearing 18000...) is extremely misleading. Looks good in a newspaper but nowhere near the attendance realised.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
No comment on this @Stallion

I'm sure they will be paying a decent rental. Wonder if the ground was one of the assets taken from rugby league in 1941. But I read the background to this and the local residents put a stop to Toulouse upgrading their preferred home ground. So they have to go somewhere . Just hope they are not shafted like other French RL clubs have suffered with respects to potential tv coverage arrangements etc.

Pommy

Coach
I'm sure they will be paying a decent rental. Wonder if the ground was one of the assets taken from rugby league in 1941. But I read the background to this and the local residents put a stop to Toulouse upgrading their preferred home ground. So they have to go somewhere . Just hope they are not shafted like other French RL clubs have suffered with respects to potential tv coverage arrangements etc.

So union do something good and you still just whinge.

Stallion

First Grade
So union do something good and you still just whinge.

If the game goes off and is a success and is televised. That's progress. As a business if you are charging rent I'm sure the price would be right. So let's hope it works well. I'm hoping it's all done professionally and business like. Don't think their exists any special favours!? Unless you know more about the terms than I do?

Pommy

Coach
If the game goes off and is a success and is televised. That's progress. As a business if you are charging rent I'm sure the price would be right. So let's hope it works well. I'm hoping it's all done professionally and business like. Don't think their exists any special favours!? Unless you know more about the terms than I do?

But you’re normally demanding special favours.

Stallion

First Grade
But you’re normally demanding special favours.
Lol

No I'm not! You may see these things as special favours. LIke I've stated a fair playing field for all is what's decent. This has not happened to particularly rugby league in the past. Surely you can accept that fact!? If not go read the Forbidden Game.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
No I'm notrying. You may see these things as special favours. LIke I've stated a fair playing field for all is what's decent. This has not happened to particularly rugby league in the past. Surely you can accept that fact!? If not go read the Forbidden Game.

You think private schools should be forced to play league but not American football. Special favours.

Stallion

First Grade
You think private schools should be forced to play league but not American football. Special favours.

? That's a diabolical question! My word you go off tangent! What has not been happening is that rugby league (specifically ) is not being afforded as a choice in elite private schools in Australia and around the world. Only just last year ,through parental demand and the fact AFL was also being played in Brisbane elite private schools, that rugby league is now being played in such schools (12 of them) in term 3. Otherwise no rugby league in sight! This is an equity and access concern. Don't think you understand the realities of this.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A very quick and simple google search would have told you the ground was built in the late 70's and opened in 1982 lol

Valheru

Coach
Publicity and cross promotion of rugby league will be an intriguing watch for the coming season. Notice a concerted effort to advertise the SOO in Perth and a push for the indigenous all stars game in Melbourne. It will be interesting to see if a concerted effort to publicise the World nines and the end of season tests occurs.I might add that cross promotion of things like the NRL grandfinal and ladies rugby league finals with sports like horse racing (eg: NRL Grand final race with jockeys wearing club jumpers in silks on Saturday b4 grandfinal Sunday etc) would help the profile of the code. Seeing what the "marketing" people do for these aspects for rugby-league this season will be worth noting. As it stands marketing has been lacking in both cross promotion and intent by rugby league for some time now.

Why on Earth would horse racing do that?

Do you even understand what the silk colours of the jockeys represent?

Stallion

First Grade
A very quick and simple google search would have told you the ground was built in the late 70's and opened in 1982 lol

Lol. If I Google
Why on Earth would horse racing do that?

Do you even understand what the silk colours of the jockeys represent?

A one off promotion. I do punt and know this. It's a fair idea. Just using imaginative license but it doesn't bode well for some on this site!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol. If I Google
No. Don't lol. You were wrong. Man up and admit it, then move on. Comments like that are just posturing for an argument that will descend into personal attacks, which you should be trying to avoid if you want to been seen as making legitimate arguments.

A one off promotion. I do punt and know this. It's a fair idea. Just using imaginative license but it doesn't bode well for some on this site!
I'd much prefer any cross promoting to be done via cricket, soccer and basketball, if at all.

You want sporting events that kids watch, not bloody horse/harness/greyhound racing. That would be a useless cross promotion and would not serve to enhance the image of Rugby League one iota, but runs the risk of damaging it.

Imagine the headlines in Sydney:

"NRL Supports the slaughter of race horses"

"NRL Supports live baiting in greyhound industry"

blah blah blah.

The risk far outweighs the positive.

Stallion

First Grade
No. Don't lol. You were wrong. Man up and admit it, then move on. Comments like that are just posturing for an argument that will descend into personal attacks, which you should be trying to avoid if you want to been seen as making legitimate arguments.

I'd much prefer any cross promoting to be done via cricket, soccer and basketball, if at all.

You want sporting events that kids watch, not bloody horse/harness/greyhound racing. That would be a useless cross promotion and would not serve to enhance the image of Rugby League one iota, but runs the risk of damaging it.

Imagine the headlines in Sydney:

"NRL Supports the slaughter of race horses"

"NRL Supports live baiting in greyhound industry"

blah blah blah.

The risk far outweighs the positive.

I'm not averse to cross promotion with those codes, however your stance on horse racing is not fair or warranted. I particularly did not mention any other forms of racing like greyhounds. Thoroughbred horseracing , especially in the Spring is very good profile. And your derision of horse racing would not sit well with respected people like the Queen etc. So we differ on the horseracing racing as a worthy cross promotion. It's primetIme and helps promote this code that does have issues with promoting it's grandfinal in Sydney.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
The thought of cross promotion reminds me of the time Peter Sterling and Bill Lawry were in the cricket commentary box. Nobody nose the impact that made.

Latest posts