What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Research - Moving the Home Ground

Would you be in favour of the Eels Playing out of Telstra Stadium

• Total voters
Hi Guys,

So I was mulling over a few Idea's recently about what is happening at Parramatta Stadium, with the lack of Post Match Facilities, also the costs of running the team, and struck on a thought.

I think Parramatta is the Only other Team in the league that could Play its Home Games, Out of Telstra Stadium.

The Benefits, are for the Club, a Windfall as last I checked the Dogs, Bunnies and Tigers all get a fair chunk of Cash for playing out of the Stadium, I think in the case of the full time teams, half the value of the salary cap.

Then there is the ease of getting to the venue, with better public transport and Parking (although it is at a cost(which just quietly pays for the Windfall))

The Use of the Telstra Lounge for Post Match Functions

The benefits of home Finals and a Home Grand Final if we make it that far before 2015,

There would be downsides.

If we only attract 20 thousand to the game I could look very sparse. There are far less Bars around the area, and of course giving up one of the Best League Venues in the world to play in a Spare Cavern that it Telstra Stadium.

So I ask your thoughts, Would you be for or against a move to Telstra Stadium for the Parramatta Eels.

Gronk

Staff member
Uncle Denis likes the pokie $$$ from the home ground crowd.

EDIT: It pissed me off bigtime when we had to go to Belmore every 2nd weekend all those years ago. Also, Telstra is a sh*t hole which lacks atmosphere. So no - I would be against it.

Pokie Cash is Negatively Effected by having games at the Home ground. According to the Excuse we have for not having Post Match Functions.

Footy People frighten the Whales away.

The Colonel

Immortal
23,000 capacity in what I consider one of the best grounds in the competition to watch football from. Yes there are a few hiccups that could comfortably be addressed but overall its a lot better deal than heading out to Telstra which gives us

* no home ground advantage
* the small crowd numbers in such a large stadium

Financially, it has an advantage but heading away from the traditional area would be another kick in the teeth for loyal supporters.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Pokie Cash is Negatively Effected by having games at the Home ground. According to the Excuse we have for not having Post Match Functions.

Footy People frighten the Whales away.

Apparently. Though many of the faces in the pokie rooms head across to the football too.

The Colonel said:
Apparently. Though many of the faces in the pokie rooms head across to the football too.

I don't doubt that, but I do doubt most of those that do head, do not spend an inch of Greenbacks in the Pokies like some of the "Whales" Do.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Telstra Stadium is definately easier for people to get in and out of than Parra Stadium. However there is nothing worse than watching a game at Telstra with less than 20,000 people. Parra is the second best ground for watching footy (behind SFS) and a full house at Parra has an unbelievable atmosphere.

The only other positive for Telstra is you can hold blockbusters there (more than 30,000). I also have to admit I don't live in the Parramatta district, but if I did I would definately prefer to keep the games at Parra.

In saying all that I would play our big games (maybe 4 a year) at Telstra and the rest at Parra

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
I don't doubt that, but I do doubt most of those that do head, do not spend an inch of Greenbacks in the Pokies like some of the "Whales" Do.

I also doubt the validity of the excuse used...... the "Whales" would rarely know what day it was.......

adamkungl

Immortal
Not a Parra fan but love goin to Parra to watch the footy, one of the best league stadiums in NSW. Keep it that way

fish eel

Immortal

Well, if there gonna stay away anyway, let's have the after match function ;-)

Parramatta should stay and play at Parramatta. The ground is big enough at the moment. In fact, if you look at our average crowds, it's probably about the perfect size. And really, how many games get sold out? 3, maybe 4?

That said, the people at Telstra would probably wet their pants to get Parramatta to play their. Likewise, Parramatta Stadium Trust would bust all their balls to keep us.

The Colonel said:
I also doubt the validity of the excuse used...... the "Whales" would rarely know what day it was.......

As I have said before, everyone can question it all they like, unless we come up with Concrete Proof it is incorrect, the board are they ones with the data, and have hence made the decision.

fish eel said:
That said, the people at Telstra would probably wet their pants to get Parramatta to play their. Likewise, Parramatta Stadium Trust would bust all their balls to keep us.

Interesting point.

How about the issue that Parramatta Stadium Trust is no more, and has along with the Penrith Rowing Facility become basicly part of SOPA?

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
As I have said before, everyone can question it all they like, unless we come up with Concrete Proof it is incorrect, the board are they ones with the data, and have hence made the decision.

Mark,

You've mentioned this 'data', before.

I'm just seeking a bit of clarity (not to debate it with you again 'cos we've done that enough).

Is the data taken from when a match has been on and a function held? Because if so, wouldnt it be quite old, as our last function was in 2005, the match v Souths on the sunday arvo Fletcher gave it to Widders. If my memory is right, that was our only function that year? If so, I'd suggest the data is both quite old and not really relevant as there was only one function.

Or, is this data taken simply from when a match is on, regardless of whether or not a post game function has been held?

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:

What decision? To move games or not hold functions?

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Interesting point.

How about the issue that Parramatta Stadium Trust is no more, and has along with the Penrith Rowing Facility become basicly part of SOPA?

of course - but point being, we are the stadiums only realistic tennant. We leave, the stadium would become a basket case/white elephant.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
Interesting point.

Even so, Parra Stadium would end up as big a white elephant as Telstra if they were to move the team. If they did, they might as well buldoze the joint and put in a gym and a new carpark.....

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:
Even so, Parra Stadium would end up as big a white elephant as Telstra if they were to move the team. If they did, they might as well buldoze the joint and put in a gym and a new carpark.....

then sydney fc have nowhere to train.

spiderdan

Bench
i love parra stadium. it's one of the best grounds for watching footy i've been to.

i wouldn't be surprised if the club were considering the move. apparently they can make some good $$$ like souths if we move. the argument can be made stronger with poker machine taxes which i'm not sure if they have gone up yet or not but it would mean less $$$ to the football club from the leagues.

fish eel said:
Mark,

You've mentioned this 'data', before.

I'm just seeking a bit of clarity (not to debate it with you again 'cos we've done that enough).

Is the data taken from when a match has been on and a function held? Because if so, wouldnt it be quite old, as our last function was in 2005, the match v Souths on the sunday arvo Fletcher gave it to Widders. If my memory is right, that was our only function that year? If so, I'd suggest the data is both quite old and not really relevant as there was only one function.

Or, is this data taken simply from when a match is on, regardless of whether or not a post game function has been held?

I can not Answer these questions because I don't know. I have asked Alan, if they have data comparing a Sunday without a Match, to A Sunday with a match, and they do and he states it shows quite a graphic drop in revenue.

Gronk

Staff member
MITS, its odd that you say that Pokie $$ has a negative effect on game day as I always thought that it was Denis's motivation when he backed Parra Power and getting a Western Sydney Super 12/14 license.

Latest posts