What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Research - Moving the Home Ground

Would you be in favour of the Eels Playing out of Telstra Stadium

• Total voters

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
I can not Answer these questions because I don't know. I have asked Alan, if they have data comparing a Sunday without a Match, to A Sunday with a match, and they do and he states it shows quite a graphic drop in revenue.

The real figure i'd be interested in would be sunday with match and no function compared with sunday with match AND function. I'd be surprised if there was a difference there.

The Colonel

Immortal
fish eel said:
then sydney fc have nowhere to train.

Might as well move to Telstra Stadium which seems to be the main idea........

The other problem with moving games to Telstra is the pitch itself. Take into consideration how often it is used and at times it doesn't have the time to recover. AFL, Soccer and League use it constantly through the season.

Three NRL teams and plus some of their lower grades there now who play roughly 72+ games during the year plus finals. I'm probably wrong but AFL use it at least three or four times.

There are representative games there as well - Origin, Bledisloe Cup, Socceroos. Not to mention big concerts.

The cricket was played there recently and the pitch looked rather ordinary.

Add another 12 to 24 games on that pitch during the year and its a lot of wear......

Also My Opinion on the White Elephant thing.

If Parramatta Stadium is Part of SOPA, and SOPA spend 2 M on getting the Eels out to Telstra to Help them make a buck (on the Train and Parking Fees SOPA Charge) then it might not even be a choice for them,

Option 1 Parramatta pays X for the Stadium Rental for Each game.

Option 2 Parramatta is Paid X to Play at Telstra, and SOPA reap the Benefit of 20,000 people going into the SOPA District by Car or Train.

Would be interesting to know what is move viable for SOPA.

I think Parramatta Stadium would Stay as is, but become more a training Facility / Trial / Function Venue.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
I think Parramatta Stadium would Stay as is, but become more a training Facility / Trial / Function Venue.

Lot of money to be spent keeping it operating for a handful of times during a year......the cost to SOPA would still be there regardless of who used it or not. Paying Parramatta to move to Telstra and keeping the Stadium operating at even a reduced level would still be expensive.

20,000 crowds aren't a regular occurence for Tigers, Souths or Bulldogs either. We'd look pretty stupid with the 7-8000 crowds that the Cowboys, Storm and Warriors regularly attract as well.

There aren't many functions there and you'd think the club would look at a cheaper alternative for a training venue if thats all they were using. Mounties, Cabramatta etc would be cheaper and possibly more accessible venues.

Gronk said:
MITS, its odd that you say that Pokie $$ has a negative effect on game day as I always thought that it was Denis's motivation when he backed Parra Power and getting a Western Sydney Super 12/14 license.

The power and a Super 14 Team, was in a Bid to take over control or be Sold the Stadium.

Part of the Merger Plans in 1999 saw The Parramatta Tigers reaping the Benefits of the Cash and working with the Power and a Super 14 team to make the Complex far more attractive. The Parramatta Club would Purchase the Stadium, and then the Council Pools beside it. It would then Cover and heat the council Pools and use some of the Grassed Area beside the Pools to become a State of the Art Gym, with Access to Parramatta Stadium behind the Cronin Stand.

Then there was talk of Changing the Store Room Behind there into 1 Dressing Room, and having the other side reconfigured with another dressing room. Meaning the Away Team would be on one side and the home team on the Other. Also Meaning a short walk to Recovery Pools and Gym Sessions. These would be used by All Parramatta Teams.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
To me this is a decision between what is good for the fans and the players as opposed to what is good for the finances. I have no doubt we would be better off financially moving to Telstra but would it be beneficial to the team, fans or district as whole.

It is a bit of an ethical decision that Souths had to face as well and it can certainly divide a club, especially in a tribal sport like rugby league.

The Colonel said:
Lot of money to be spent keeping it operating for a handful of times during a year......the cost to SOPA would still be there regardless of who used it or not. Paying Parramatta to move to Telstra and keeping the Stadium operating at even a reduced level would still be expensive.

20,000 crowds aren't a regular occurence for Tigers, Souths or Bulldogs either. We'd look pretty stupid with the 7-8000 crowds that the Cowboys, Storm and Warriors regularly attract as well.

There aren't many functions there and you'd think the club would look at a cheaper alternative for a training venue if thats all they were using. Mounties, Cabramatta etc would be cheaper and possibly more accessible venues.

That is also a Possability.

The Colonel

Immortal
MITS said:
So I was mulling over a few Idea's recently about what is happening at Parramatta Stadium, with the lack of Post Match Facilities, also the costs of running the team, and struck on a thought.

I think Parramatta is the Only other Team in the league that could Play its Home Games, Out of Telstra Stadium

That is also a Possability

So it would be safe to guess that this is being considered at the present time rather than something you have been mulling over?

The Colonel said:
So it would be safe to guess that this is being considered at the present time rather than something you have been mulling over?

No, That would be wild and incorrect speculation. This is something that I have figured out of my own, without any dropped hints or thoughts from anyone.

fish eel

Immortal
I think having Parramatta Stadium as effectively just a training ground would see the Council make some very loud noises I would imagine.

Bigfella

Coach
I would be adamantly against moving to Telstra.

I have never found it "easy" to get to. In the absence of Olympic levels of public transport support, the options are several trains, or driving. Driving has the difficulty that the spectator can't have a few drinks, plus expense, plus delays on exiting the ground.

The game atmosphere when half full is depressing.

There are more bad seats than good ones at Telstra when viewing a sport played on rectangular playing field.

The acoustics and sound system at the ground are second rate.

Parramatta Stadium is brilliant in all these categories. The move would be a loss on all those points in my opinion.

We would be moving for money alone, and losing the sould of our football club. We would be divorced from the spiritual home of CUmberland / Parramatta, away from our leagues club, and missing out on local derbys played to full houses.

Bigfella said:
The acoustics and sound system at the ground are second rate.

Parramatta Stadium is brilliant in all these categories. The move would be a loss on all those points in my opinion.

I take on board you points mate, but in regards to the above. Which Parramatta Stadium have you been visiting, the Sounds System is AWFUL.

The Colonel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
No, That would be wild and incorrect speculation. This is something that I have figured out of my own, without any dropped hints or thoughts from anyone.

Just appears to be to well thought out MITS to not have any solid base behind it. Then again you are a heavy thinker. ;-)

fish eel

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
. This is something that I have figured out of my own, without any dropped hints or thoughts from anyone.

:lol: :lol:

I was wondering that myself....

The Colonel said:
Just appears to be to well thought out MITS to not have any solid base behind it. Then again you are a heavy thinker. ;-)

I don't know weather to take that as a complement or not.

There is no offical basis for this, but pure speculation from knowing what I know of the club and Telstra Stadium.

Suitman

Post Whore
I would also be against a move from our "spiritual ground".
Yes, the club could do with the dollars and yes, it would probably be a sound financial decision.
But it would yet another example of the club selling it's soul.

I'd suggest that if the club want to do anything, they should improve facilites (in conjunction with the trust) of Parra Stadium itself.
- The catering and bar service is nothing short of atrocious - in fact, I'd put it amongst the worst in Sydney.
- The sound system is appalling.
- The fact that many spectators can't even see the video replay board.
- toilet facilities are inadequete.

The place is 20 years old now and looking and acting tired

Increase revenue by improving facilites, with the subsequent influx of patrons to the club, not by shifting our arses into a stadium 4 times bigger than we need.

Suity

Suitman said:
Increase revenue by improving facilites, with the subsequent influx of patrons to the club, not by shifting our arses into a stadium 4 times bigger than we need.

Suity

Interesting, you mean the Club should invest or the Stadium Trust?