What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Research - Moving the Home Ground

Would you be in favour of the Eels Playing out of Telstra Stadium

• Total voters

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I agree with you there Suity, Parra stadium needs to fix up those, but I think the scoreboard is getting changed so thats a start.

No way in the world would I agree to a move to Telstra, its sh*tts me that stadium. Parramatta Stadium is a our spiritual home ground, and always will be.

Suitman

Post Whore
MarkInTheStands said:
Interesting, I am hearing that the leagues club annual report is going to be an interesting read.

I'm reading between the lines here MITS.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
I believe we are in very unique, and powerful position when it comes to Parramatta Stadium, and getting our 'landlord' to make it a more attractive place to visit.

We are the only worthwhile tennant. I've no doubt there will be an a-league side there in the future, but that would be at least 5 years off. The Eels are the only tennant of the stadium that goes anywhere near filling it.

Why not use that, and the threat/possibility of packing up and going to homebush to get a better deal at the stadium, not just for the club, but for the clubs fans. For example, if money is an issue, why not start negotiations to allow the club to sell stadium naming rights for eels games, with a cut going back into the stadium?

Moving to Homebush, absolute LAST resort if we were in financial trouble.

Thinking about it, for starters, I wouldn't renew my season ticket if we were to move from parra.

Parramatta belongs in Parramatta. Not Homebush. Parramatta.

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
I believe we are in very unique, and powerful position when it comes to Parramatta Stadium, and getting our 'landlord' to make it a more attractive place to visit.

We are the only worthwhile tennant. I've no doubt there will be an a-league side there in the future, but that would be at least 5 years off. The Eels are the only tennant of the stadium that goes anywhere near filling it.

Why not use that, and the threat/possibility of packing up and going to homebush to get a better deal at the stadium, not just for the club, but for the clubs fans. For example, if money is an issue, why not start negotiations to allow the club to sell stadium naming rights for eels games, with a cut going back into the stadium?

Moving to Homebush, absolute LAST resort if we were in financial trouble.

Thinking about it, for starters, I wouldn't renew my season ticket if we were to move from parra.

Parramatta belongs in Parramatta. Not Homebush. Parramatta.

But Fishy, Homebush is also home to the Easter Show, where you can get great fairy floss.
Surely, that would be a carrot??

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
But Fishy, Homebush is also home to the Easter Show, where you can get great fairy floss.
Surely, that would be a carrot??

Suity

Good point.

You reckon they could run the show from March to September?

I mean, there is a drought, so the bushies arent doing much farming. ;-)

Parra Guru

Coach
I know MITS is only using Telstra as a rough example, but tbh I honestly struggle for motivation to attend Telstra for the Away games we play there, and I usually avoid finals games there because it is a sh*t ground for viewing.

Our crowd figures would die if we moved there.

Suitman

Post Whore
Don't get me wrong. I think Telstra is a great stadium.
I just think it is way too big for the NRL, when the NRL averages 15 000 or thereabouts per game.
Save it for the blockbusters.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Don't get me wrong. I think Telstra is a great stadium.
I just think it is way too big for the NRL, when the NRL averages 15 000 or thereabouts per game.
Save it for the blockbusters.

Suity

I also think it is just plain dumb to have four teams or how ever many playing out of the one venue.

Part of the great thing about league is the tribalism - something diminishing from the game.

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
I also think it is just plain dumb to have four teams or how ever many playing out of the one venue.

Part of the great thing about league is the tribalism - something diminishing from the game.

The AFL have been able to do it.

Suity

Parra Guru

Coach
yeah tribalism, if we were to move from Parra, there's a chance we'd lose our manufactured tape chant too :lol:

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
As I care little about it, does it still have the same atmosphere as it would if they had individual home venues?

Well, yes it does, but only because they get massive crowds which fill the massive grounds.
The NRL can't do that.

Suity

Parra Guru

Coach
I reckon Swans games make for a better atmosphere at the SCG than they do at Telstra. I've been to 2 (free) AFL games in my whole life, both Swans games and one at each venue :lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Well, yes it does, but only because they get massive crowds which fill the massive grounds.
The NRL can't do that.

Suity

I still think that has a lot to do with AFL being a not so friendly TV sport, despite it being on TV.

Going to Telstra to watch the Tigers, Bulldogs or Souths doesn't have the same atmosphere it did when they played at Leichhardt, Belmore or Aussie/Redfern. It was like heading in to enemy territory. The Dogs is still a little like that but the other two.... :?

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
I still think that has a lot to do with AFL being a not so friendly TV sport, despite it being on TV.

Going to Telstra to watch the Tigers, Bulldogs or Souths doesn't have the same atmosphere it did when they played at Leichhardt, Belmore or Aussie/Redfern. It was like heading in to enemy territory. The Dogs is still a little like that but the other two.... :?

I totally agree.
Leichhardt is my favourite ground for atmosphere.
Hence, my opposition to moving from Parra.

Suity

Nikki

Coach
If our club were to snub its nose at the loyal fans and move to Telstra in favour of the almighty corporate dollar then I for one would never attend a game there. I would rather go to away teams home grounds and pay them my gate fee than Parra. Telstra is not a Stadium for Club games. It was never built for that purpose. The only reason I would even consider moving from Parra would be if we were to upgrade our Stadium.

Stagger eel

Staff member
We should not and will not move out of our spiritual ground [as Suity puts it] unless it was only temperary and for the same reason we moved to Belmore between 82-85. The backlash will be enormous and the consequences will be huge, heads will roll including the member for Parramatta, there would be a very negative reaction to area.

What disturbs me about this thread is for the first word of the title...Research???...Research for what???

Latest posts