What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retire the Alternative Strip

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No...of course i support the Dragons, but what you say there further supports my point...
Hardly. IMO, your post was overflowing with generalisations, exaggerations, half truths and a quaint air of crankiness.
Bingerz said:
it is WE...so fair has to be fair is what i'm saying. Respect is a 2 way street.

Cheers
Well with respect, I'm not convinced you actually respect the two way street of respect.

Cheers.

Bingerz

Juniors
Ok mate, you are entitled to your opinion, but what i am saying is that the Illawarra side of the merger deserves to be recognised and respected as well.

I don't believe this was offered in the comments by St. Jubbsy.

I guess the club agrees with me as that is how they have organised the playing strips

big pat

Coach
Ok mate, you are entitled to your opinion, but what i am saying is that the Illawarra side of the merger deserves to be recognised and respected as well.

I don't believe this was offered in the comments by St. Jubbsy.

I guess the club agrees with me as that is how they have organised the playing strips

as i said before, we have this argument every year about st george the steelers, the illawarra, whatever, but unfortuneately fans from both side of the fence harbour grudges, but i think most dragon supporters love the team, and support them in a big way, through merchandise, tickets, supporting both leagues clubs, and they are still st george illawarra whatever strip they may be wearing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
what i am saying is that the Illawarra side of the merger deserves to be recognised
I never suggested otherwise. Of course you said a little more than that. IMO, some people go out of their way to get offended.

Bingerz

Juniors
as i said before, we have this argument every year about st george the steelers, the illawarra, whatever, but unfortuneately fans from both side of the fence harbour grudges, but i think most dragon supporters love the team, and support them in a big way, through merchandise, tickets, supporting both leagues clubs, and they are still st george illawarra whatever strip they may be wearing.

Wholeheartedly agree...which is exactly what i do. Well said

Bingerz

Juniors
I never suggested otherwise. Of course you said a little more than that. IMO, some people go out of their way to get offended.

Ok, but the post at the top of the page from St. Jubbsy suggest otherwise. Those sorts of comments are what I get offended at, and rightfully so.

As someone who works extremely hard in Rugby League in the Illawarra, it gives me great pride when Illawarra juniors graduate to the Dragons squad. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I cheer just as much for Nightingale, Gasnier & K Stanley as the Illawarra boys, but when i work so hard to contribute to the 13-14 Illawarra juniors in the squad at present, the posts discrediting the Illawarra are naturally going to piss me and a lot of people off

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ok, but the post at the top of the page from St. Jubbsy suggest otherwise. Those sorts of comments are what I get offended at, and rightfully so.

As someone who works extremely hard in Rugby League in the Illawarra, it gives me great pride when Illawarra juniors graduate to the Dragons squad. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I cheer just as much for Nightingale, Gasnier & K Stanley as the Illawarra boys, but when i work so hard to contribute to the 13-14 Illawarra juniors in the squad at present, the posts discrediting the Illawarra are naturally going to piss me and a lot of people off
Good for you.

From what I can tell, Jubbsy stated the facts regarding the joint venture agreement. If someone doesn't like the red jsersey, that's simply them exercising their right to hold an opinion. But FTR, in 1998 it was announced that the jersey would be the Red V. In fact, the alternate jersey in 1999/2000 was the blood and bandages. You seem to think it was a 'load of crap', but those were the facts of the day.

So, you got offended - your choice. But then you went into a 'I speak for the majority' rant, which you do not.

For someone who claims to be a position of influence, do you think it's appropriate to say things like, "the majority of people I speak to are anti-St George"? A slight exaggeration perhaps?

Last edited:

Bingerz

Juniors
In 2011 and for some time now, the alternative jersey is the Illawarra heritage one and that recognises the contributions of the Illawarra. This is a decision the club has made, and i believe it to be a good one.

Yes i do think it is appropriate to comment as the Illawarra area is coming around, but still there are a lot of people i speak to who support other teams despite being born and raised in this area. The common theme they tell me is that it was a 'takeover' and not a merger. I am not speaking for the majority, i am simply commenting on the number of conversations i have with people around the traps.

By having the Illawarra heritage jersey as the alternate, this can only help rather than hinder the disenchanted supporters of the old Steelers.

Comments such as...
'Steelers gave up their colours when agreeing to the joint venture and that's how it should stay'
are not called for, and who is he to be the decision maker. The club obviously disagrees

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Comments such as...
'Steelers gave up their colours when agreeing to the joint venture and that's how it should stay'
It's obviously an opinion based on the facts given when we all accepted the JV.
Bingerz said:
are not called for, and who is he to be the decision maker. The club obviously disagrees
Where is he saying he is a decision maker? As far as I can tell, you're the only here talking as if you have some authority.

People are allowed to talk about it, aren't they?

Bingerz

Juniors
Ok, we will have to agree to disagree then. My position is that the Illawarra is a major part of this club, and they have chosen to acknowledge this by the wearing of a Steelers style jersey. This is a decision i wholeheartedly support and hope it continues

STG-MACCA

Bench
serious enquiry: Pre the Steelers, did the Illawarra have a 'jersey' that represented them at senior rep level?

big pat

Coach
if they're going to do it right, they should wear a retro style steeler jersey, but they don't because they want to sell new jumpers, and make lots of moola.

counterpuncher

Juniors
..there are a lot of people i speak to who support other teams despite being born and raised in this area. The common theme they tell me is that it was a 'takeover' and not a merger.

That's usually what they call it in a business deal when one side brings all of the money to the table.
Illawarra officials held the view that naming, colours, uniform, emblem etc. ceded to St.George would be compensated by geography.... i.e operations based in the 'gong & the team playing all home games at WIN Stadium.

RedVee

First Grade
In 2011 and for some time now, the alternative jersey is the Illawarra heritage one and that recognises the contributions of the Illawarra. This is a decision the club has made, and i believe it to be a good one.

Yes i do think it is appropriate to comment as the Illawarra area is coming around, but still there are a lot of people i speak to who support other teams despite being born and raised in this area. The common theme they tell me is that it was a 'takeover' and not a merger. I am not speaking for the majority, i am simply commenting on the number of conversations i have with people around the traps.

By having the Illawarra heritage jersey as the alternate, this can only help rather than hinder the disenchanted supporters of the old Steelers.

Comments such as...

BingerZ,
I approve of the jersey, although I do shdder every time they wear any of our "red" jerseys as we seem to have a poor record.
But, for the record it is a St George Illawarra jersey in the style of the Illawarra Steelers jersey, rather than a Illawarra Steelers jersey. The red being the SGI (Victory?) red rather than Scarlet. I think it is a fine jersey and a fine nod to the Illawarra end of the territory.

Question, this is not meant as a snipe, but why where there only 6 of the Legends in attendance on Sunday? I guess a couple hace passed on, and Creagh was getting ready... but that leaves about 6-8 no shows? I found it a bit disapointing.

That's usually what they call it in a business deal when one side brings all of the money to the table.
Illawarra officials held the view that naming, colours, uniform, emblem etc. ceded to St.George would be compensated by geography.... i.e operations based in the 'gong & the team playing all home games at WIN Stadium.

... half the home games.

sting

Bench
On a serious note. I'd love too see this years charity shield jersey as our alternative

Breathingfire

Juniors
I don't like it when we wear that jumper either. I can't help but wish that we were still the St George Dragons and I could watch all the home games at Kogarah. Thats just how I feel and I can't help it.

Bingerz

Juniors
Yeh i'm not sure why there were only 6 in attendance, i found that odd as well. The turnout for the gala function was great though.

Not sure about the Illawarra jersey pre Steelers days as i am not that old, but the Illawarra CRL rep side still play in a scarlett jersey. I heard it was meant to represent the Illawarra flame tree. That tree symbol still appears on the respective league jerseys of ours

STG-MACCA

Bench
work.622820.7.flat,550x550,075,f.brachychiton-acerifolius-illawarra-flame-tree.jpg

Hmmm.... Interesting.

See I think most people have no problem recognising the illawarra and their contribution to both the dragons and rugby league in general and people were making threads way back before a ball was kicked regarding the alternative jersey this year so it is not just because of the results recently.

ABC radio on Sunday were having a laugh about both the jersey and the record when not playing in the Red V in their pre game conversations so it's not just ex St.George supporters either.

I made the comment recently on twitter that I think a line in the sand is required and a new alternative should be launched that is fresh and both a representation of the Illawarra and more a representation of the new joint rather than the old.

I should also mention that I actually disagree with the need for an alternative and I would much prefer one match a season that is an illawarra heritage day and they can play in the actual steelers jersey, not a reebok victory red equivalent that is "not a steelers jersey" as we are so often told by our management.

Ex Steelers supporters shouldn't take their frustrations out on other supporters especially those that attend the games and post on here. You should have been more vocal towards your board and in particular Bob Millward at the time of the agreement. As pointed out by willow, the joint venture was sold to everyone in the rugby league world including steelers supporters as a team that would be playing in the Red V of St.George, and each and every season when they start trotting out an alternate it causes supporter angst so really if you keep doing the same thing you will keep coming up with the same results.

I'm sure this won't please everyone and the joint venture didn't either but most people have moved on and now I think its time our club demonstrated the leadership to move forward also.