What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retire the Alternative Strip

Southernsaint

Staff member
Those things can blind a weary driver...

Personally, I think the Red Vee is non-negotiable and even occasionally wearing a "Steelers" jersey creates an "us-and-them" divide that shouldn't have to exist. I reckon Saints should experiment with the away strip like we used to in the Coca Cola 7's but only wear it the NRL mandated minimum number of times.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Quite frankly, when the red alternate jersey first came out, I called it divisive. I wasn't knocking Illawarra, I just knew it would lead to polarisation.

Here we are years later and it is still a point of conflict.

Presumably it was done to appease the Steelers camp, but by doing so it immediately set in motion a series of divisive debates.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Do the Tigers and Magpies fight when they wear their different heritage strips?

And if bringing an alternate strip out that alludes to the steelers heritage is divisive, dont you think having a home strip of the Red-V and an Away strip of the Blood and Bandages is going to ruffle some feathers and cause more problems?

Being from the area, I know quite a few Ex-Steelers fans, come STGI fans, who only own the alternate style jerseys, whether that be the 2008 one, the wolverine one, or current one. I dont think it would be fair on those people in particular, as well as the Steelers legacy, to take away their jersey. IMO, all home games at WIN should be in a Steelers jersey (if the NRL allows it of coarse).

Also, the STG links to the Illawarra go back a lot further then 1999. The region not only played a Major part in the STGI Dragons 2010 premiership, and the majority of the decade, some of STG's greatest players of the 11-straight premierships were Illawarra products.

Last edited:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Do the Tigers and Magpies fight when they wear their different heritage strips?

And if bringing an alternate strip out that alludes to the steelers heritage is divisive, dont you think having a home strip of the Red-V and an Away strip of the Blood and Bandages is going to ruffle some feathers and cause more problems?

Being from the area, I know quite a few Ex-Steelers fans, come STGI fans, who only own the alternate style jerseys, whether that be the 2008 one, the wolverine one, or current one. I dont think it would be fair on those people in particular, as well as the Steelers legacy, to take away their jersey. IMO, all home games at WIN should be in a Steelers jersey (if the NRL allows it of coarse).

Also, the STG links to the Illawarra go back a lot further then 1999. The region not only played a Major part in the STGI Dragons 2010 premiership, and the majority of the decade, some of STG's greatest players of the 11-straight premierships were Illawarra products.

To answer, I couldn't give a rats what Wests Tigers do, though I would assume that as their JV seems to be a 50/50 proposition, they didn't have an agreement in place that one jumper is non negotiable. Saints do. End of story.

Secondly, "their" jersey is the Red Vee. That is THE jersey of the club that plays half it's games in Wollongong. If they want to wear "their" jersey, they could always shell out for a BHP Steel retro number!!

And finally, I look forward to Manly playing in the Steelers jumper to commemorate the career of Bobby Fulton...

jonno_knights

Juniors
To answer, I couldn't give a rats what Wests Tigers do, though I would assume that as their JV seems to be a 50/50 proposition, they didn't have an agreement in place that one jumper is non negotiable. Saints do. End of story.

Secondly, "their" jersey is the Red Vee. That is THE jersey of the club that plays half it's games in Wollongong. If they want to wear "their" jersey, they could always shell out for a BHP Steel retro number!!

And finally, I look forward to Manly playing in the Steelers jumper to commemorate the career of Bobby Fulton...

The Tigers currently have, and always have had, a Hybrid jersey as both Home and Away. But what I was alluding too was that for heritage rounds they sometimes wear the Balmain Strip, and sometimes wear the Wests strip, and this doesnt cause massive rifts between fans. They have also kept the Magpies logo alive on their sleeve, which is a nice touch.

Where did I say they should change or alter the Red-V as their main strip? All I said was that IMO the games in Wollongong should be played in a Steelers type jersey to acknowledge the Steelers side of the joint venture. The Kogarah home games, as well as the majority of non-clashing away fixtures could be played out in the Red-V (If approved by the NRL of coarse).

And by taking away 'their' jersey, I meant it wouldn't be fair to deny them the opportunity in future years to watch their team run around WIN stadium in the jersey they grew up supporting.

The notion of the "us v them" mentality (yours words, not mine) being bred via an alternate strip is absolute Bullshit. This may have come from the fact that from 1999-2005 both Jerseys were Dragons jerseys, and the fact that the colours, name (apart from the addition of Illawarra) and logo remained the dragons. Now I know you guys had an agreement, but was that agreement with the Steelers decision makers, or the Steelers fans?

The fact that you can't even stomach the St George Illawarra Dragons wearing a Steelers jersey on occasion (for heritage rounds) proves just how arrogant you are as a Dragons fan, and Im glad that fate had me support the Knights as a youngster despite coming from the Illawarra so I wouldn't have to share a club with ignorant people like you.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The fact that you can't even stomach the St George Illawarra Dragons wearing a Steelers jersey on occasion (for heritage rounds) proves just how arrogant you are as a Dragons fan, and Im glad that fate had me support the Knights as a youngster despite coming from the Illawarra so I wouldn't have to share a club with ignorant people like you.

You post is 100% dribble, but this was my favourite bit.

I would think that the height of arrogance would be blowing in to another team's forum and telling them what jumper they should be wearing.

The earthquake should've finished Newcastle fans like you off. :lol:

I love both strips honestly but the reasoning for wearing the steeler-like strip is sometimes a bit beyond me. Away at Canberra etc. As much as I'm an ex steelers fan, the V is my jersey of choice. There are no jerseys in the league it clashes with so Id be happy to bring out the alt strip no more than twice a year, at win of course.

Unfortunantly, selling jerseys is important for the club and unlike other clubs whose fans simply choose which jersey they 'like the look of' more, we actually have some supporters with every reason to identify with the alternative strip

St_Jubbsy

Staff member
Bingerz, I am bemused that you not only disagree with me but you are outraged about the fact I have expressed an opinion on the issue. Personally I couldn't give a flying f**k about a few morons from the gong who are only "coming around" to accept the JV....if they don't want to accept its benefits then that is their problem.

Willow has encapsulated my position well. One of the terms of the JV was that the Red V and logo of St George was non-negotiable...this was accepted by the parties, which in turn bound the members. I long argued that the move towards a quasi-Steelers jersey would be a slippery slope and that is how it turned out- now we have people saying it should be worn for all games at WIN.

If people want to talk about division, having separate jerseys to be worn at our two home grounds is a perfect way to continue such division and undermine the acceptance of the JV branding.

Southernsaint is right- I don't care what the Wests Tigers do but if you think there is no division amongst their fans on the jersey front then you are not versed in reality.

I am disappointed that some here I know dismiss this as just the same old divisive stuff. I am merely seeking the enforcement of the original terms of the JV and as the same poster would know, I am not at all qualified in my support of the JV club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
arrogant blow-in said:
proves just how arrogant you are as a Dragons fan, and Im glad that fate had me support the Knights as a youngster despite coming from the Illawarra
So you feel that only St George supporters can be Dragons supporters. You must have missed the memo. Illawarra are Dragons fans too. Hypocrite.

big pat

Coach
The Tigers currently have, and always have had, a Hybrid jersey as both Home and Away. But what I was alluding too was that for heritage rounds they sometimes wear the Balmain Strip, and sometimes wear the Wests strip, and this doesnt cause massive rifts between fans. They have also kept the Magpies logo alive on their sleeve, which is a nice touch.

Where did I say they should change or alter the Red-V as their main strip? All I said was that IMO the games in Wollongong should be played in a Steelers type jersey to acknowledge the Steelers side of the joint venture. The Kogarah home games, as well as the majority of non-clashing away fixtures could be played out in the Red-V (If approved by the NRL of coarse).

And by taking away 'their' jersey, I meant it wouldn't be fair to deny them the opportunity in future years to watch their team run around WIN stadium in the jersey they grew up supporting.

The notion of the "us v them" mentality (yours words, not mine) being bred via an alternate strip is absolute Bullshit. This may have come from the fact that from 1999-2005 both Jerseys were Dragons jerseys, and the fact that the colours, name (apart from the addition of Illawarra) and logo remained the dragons. Now I know you guys had an agreement, but was that agreement with the Steelers decision makers, or the Steelers fans?

well dickhead, do everyone a favour and piss off, no one cares what you think.

Breathingfire

Juniors
They have also kept the Magpies logo alive on their sleeve, which is a nice touch.

Looks shit.

the games in Wollongong should be played in a Steelers type jersey to acknowledge the Steelers side of the joint venture.

Should we also embroid a spreadsheet of the Debt they bought to the Joint Venture on the back of our guernsey?

(If approved by the NRL of coarse).

coarse?????? shows the depth of your intellect....

and Im glad that fate had me support the Knights as a youngster despite coming from the Illawarra so I wouldn't have to share a club with ignorant people like you.

We are all very grateful also...

Father Ted

First Grade
jonno_knights Your a guy from the Ilawarra and you feel entitled to tell us what they thick but support Newcastle . No strange contradictions there right .

counterpuncher

Juniors
I thought the whole point of an 'Alternate' jersey was simply that it was to be used on any occasion that the colours of the main jersey clashed with the opposition in an away game. Looking at the Tigpie jersey for the game tonight, white stripes being fairly prominent, it makes sense to wear our red alternate strip. But there was really zero reason to wear it vs. Raiders.
If some of the boofheads on here got their way, we would be wearing the red shirt for all away games and all WIN Stadium games. Take away Charity Shield and Heritage Round and we would be lucky to wear the Red V more than 5 times in the season!

So is it an Away jersey or an Alternate jersey? Regardless of how we play in the thing, we seem to wear it more and more each season.

RED V is a part of me

KiamaSaint

Coach
I love both strips honestly but the reasoning for wearing the steeler-like strip is sometimes a bit beyond me. Away at Canberra etc. As much as I'm an ex steelers fan, the V is my jersey of choice. There are no jerseys in the league it clashes with so Id be happy to bring out the alt strip no more than twice a year, at win of course.

Unfortunantly, selling jerseys is important for the club and unlike other clubs whose fans simply choose which jersey they 'like the look of' more, we actually have some supporters with every reason to identify with the alternative strip

Totally agree. It was a tongue in cheek thread but I do agree with the comments posted here, the RED V should be the preferred strip on most occasions.

I'm from the Illawarra as well (not sure I indicated that in my name) and I hear nothing from my friends but "Dragons". I can't remember the last time I heard "Steelers" throw around except on this forum. If the "Steelers" attitude still exists, that will die out within a generation.

Oh, one more thing...

RED V is ME.

jonno_knights

Juniors
The earthquake should've finished Newcastle fans like you off. :lol:

Yeh, except 1. I wasnt born, and 2. I've lived in the Illawarra all my life...but yeh, real classy tosser.

Finally a bit of sense. I might not support the Dragons at present, but I grew up in a Steelers culture, so Im just standing up for what I believe in. Just like supporters from other teams got behind the Rabbits when they got kicked out of the comp, I want to see the Steelers brand live on. And Southernsaint idea of abolishing the Steelers style jersey, for some Dragons 7's spinoff would be a step backwards IMO.

So you feel that only St George supporters can be Dragons supporters. You must have missed the memo. Illawarra are Dragons fans too. Hypocrite.

I mean pre-1999 Dragons fans, and pre-1999 Steelers fans.

Should we also embroid a spreadsheet of the Debt they bought to the Joint Venture on the back of our guernsey?

How about the Steelers juniors wear the scarlet, and the Dragons juniors wear the Red-V. Then we will see who brought what to the JV. Even if the imports wore the Red-V they'd have trouble outnumbering the Illawarra Guys. And didnt WIN TV erase most of the debt anyway to STG anyway?

hellteam

First Grade

The Red V wasn't working against Canberra.... they had to try something!!

j0nesy

Bench
In 2011 and for some time now, the alternative jersey is the Illawarra heritage one and that recognises the contributions of the Illawarra. This is a decision the club has made, and i believe it to be a good one.

Well said Bingerz, totally agree with you on this point.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
jonno knights, initially people were polite and accomodating with you. I've seen your posts over a couple of threads and thought you simply needed time to undertstand the notion of opposing opinions.

But here's the facts: This is the Dragons forum.

You don't support the Dragons, have never supported the Illawarra, you hate St George, you moved away from the Illawarra to live in Newcastle... and you support the Knights.

And you come in here telling us how to support our team.

But you go further, you even dictate the design of our jersey.

What's next? Would you like tell me where to live?

Piss off Jonno. You're dull, and thick to boot.