What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

REUBEN GARRICK

Belta

Juniors
3 tries down his wing tonight so reality check required when assessing him as a loss.

Probably spent too much time watching Nene, who never seemed to mark his winger.

I have a different opinion though. I will say it’s very early to judge but, for me and only looking at his performances this year (and regardless of the stats) I believe Garrick with his speed, height and athleticism looks to have more ups than our current wingers. Could maybe of formed a good combo with Lomax, if we had a fb like DWZ.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Garrick will, be a solid winger given time.
He is not a superstar and never will be.
He will do well that's all.
IMO

Last edited:
What a good coach can do with players amazes me....
Didn’t look to great at the dragons even in lower grade never got a chance in fg
Got his chance at manly this year and has got better and better and still continues to get better... hmm humble pie...
While we have Pearson....
And prob the lowest paid winger in the nrl atm...

possm

Coach
Watching Rueben Garrick continue to develop at Manly, I really question the way we identify talent.
This young fellow has size, speed to burn and is a very competent goal kicker.
Yet couldn't get a sniff under McGregor.
Moves to Manly under Hasler is doing himself proud.
This is a young guy who came through the STI system and ends up leaving to develop his career at another club.
St. George on the other hand, ignore their juniors and enter the market to sign (and re-sign) Periera, Ravalawa, Pearson and Maranta.
Our wingers continue to be one of our problems and I for one cannot understand the mentality.
Am I the only one?
But Millward and Mary are doing such a fine job that the Board won't even be looking at their performance at this seasons review according to another old boy Brian Johnston our CEO. God give me strength!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We could have and should have signed Hasler. He would have us at top of the table right now.
source.gif

D4L_Dave

Juniors
Watching Rueben Garrick continue to develop at Manly, I really question the way we identify talent.
This is a young guy who came through the STI system and ends up leaving to develop his career at another club.
St. George on the other hand, ignore their juniors and enter the market to sign (and re-sign) Periera, Ravalawa, Pearson and Maranta.
Our wingers continue to be one of our problems and I for one cannot understand the mentality.
Am I the only one?

I agree and the reason stems from the Coaches obsession with sticking to a model of selecting players which is outdated. That being that both Wingers have to be massive guys. All the successful teams. have one big and one smaller very fast winger, but the Dragons want to stick to the 2012 model of needing two extra forwards. Under that line of thinking, what else was a talent like Garrick going to do??

Of Our current roster, the smalller winger should be Dufty. Dufty has speed and an instinct to follow a break, plus if he is going to continue to play first grade as a fullback, he needs to develop a passing game and some better teckniques to improve his defence.

D4L_Dave

Juniors
i always thought PATRICK HERBERT was the best we had in iss DENNIS .as i said before mary never watches canterbury cup ,so hes got no f**king idea how good or bad the young guns are .OH TO HAVE A COACH OF THE STANDARD OF ROBINSON OR BELLAMY .EVEN MADGE AND SEIBOLD LEAVE mcgregor for dead as regards JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT ...

Its very clear, among the many deficiencies in Mary McGregor/s coaching, developing talented young players is among the worst. We have a number of very talented young players, who should have come on much further than they have. I don't accept that they are all not good enough, other teams bring on young players far better than we do. Brian Smith and Nathan Brown, where clearly the best at it. Brown was far less porficient with getting the best out of established talent, something Brian Smith was conversly good at. i am of the belief that if we contine to go down the path of trying to buy a premiership, we will never progress fruther than we did last year. i think the Brown mantra of favouring the local and only filling holes with outsdie players is the best, however clearly we need a better coach for that to work.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Am I the only one?
Everyone might agree with you but whoever retains, recruits, identifies the players we develop have no freakin idea. Bring back Frank Facer and was it Max Ninness. We have clowns and idiots give me a job.
Here's what you do check out if they can play, can they run fast, are they idiots, are they big, do they like soccer or basketball or league, check out the D NA of mum and dad. How bloody had must it be just look out the Cc and the other one Jersey Flegg.

He looked shit in last years trials.

Shame our old boys team couldn’t see what Manly could see in him.

Good luck to him.

Some players try too hard in trials and have poor games.

Garrick was a junior state rep and it appears from his efforts this season that his former rep coaches got it right and that our brains trust got their assessment very wrong.

Good luck to Reuben. Hope he continues to improve and excel.

I agree and the reason stems from the Coaches obsession with sticking to a model of selecting players which is outdated. That being that both Wingers have to be massive guys. All the successful teams. have one big and one smaller very fast winger, but the Dragons want to stick to the 2012 model of needing two extra forwards. Under that line of thinking, what else was a talent like Garrick going to do??

Of Our current roster, the smalller winger should be Dufty. Dufty has speed and an instinct to follow a break, plus if he is going to continue to play first grade as a fullback, he needs to develop a passing game and some better teckniques to improve his defence.

Dufty doesn’t need a better passing game the kids got an amazing passing game if he continues to put his body on the line then his fb for me

Frank Facer

First Grade
Everyone might agree with you but whoever retains, recruits, identifies the players we develop have no freakin idea. Bring back Frank Facer and was it Max Ninness. We have clowns and idiots give me a job.
Here's what you do check out if they can play, can they run fast, are they idiots, are they big, do they like soccer or basketball or league, check out the D NA of mum and dad. How bloody had must it be just look out the Cc and the other one Jersey Flegg.
I should have the job of retaining, recruiting and identifying talent, but it won't happen. I always wanted that job, even when I was at school. I even considered offering my services for free many years ago, just to get my foot in the door, but I always knew my chances were slim to zero. I even once rang up John Flemming who was our club secretary (the CEO was called the club secretary at the time) in the late 90's telling him that I would like to be our future secretary and what should I do to go about it. He told me to become the secretary of a local junior leagues club and then work my way from there. I doubt that Doust or Brian Johnston were ever secretaries or head's of any junior clubs and I doubt that any CEO's of any clubs are or were former heads of junior clubs.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Garrick had a big game today. He has a great build for a winger or centre. I think he will have a long career in first grade. He is definitely a lose. When he was given a chance in the trials last year, he didn't impress. Others on this site said that his defence wasn't up to first grade. He is a great example of someone given a shot and taking it

He also happens to be on the end of a far superior backline to the one here.

Fair call.

Didn’t realise he was an excellent goal kicker.

Has size, speed and power.

Certainly better than Pearson and no worse than Pereira.

Still unsure about Rava.

If he were more consistent, he could be a gun centre or winger. Has power and not afraid of physical contact.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Fair call.

Didn’t realise he was an excellent goal kicker.

Has size, speed and power.

Certainly better than Pearson and no worse than Pereira.

Still unsure about Rava.

If he were more consistent, he could be a gun centre or winger. Has power and not afraid of physical contact.
I think Rava is the classic, "work in progress". I think he has progressed well as the year has gone by. He could be a better centre than winger, if given the chance. He could even be a gun centre? He is still relatively inexperienced playing league, so I think he will continue to show further improvement over the next few years.