What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

Wb1234

Referee
It’s generally a bad idea to reward people for making bad decisions. It incentivises them to continue making bad decisions instead of making positive changes, which is a pattern that’s very well played out in RL’s history.

That’s not an excuse to piss said money away yourself.

That’d be a disaster at most clubs.
Do you visit earth often ?

I didn't know Geoff Carr was interested in merging the Dragons with the Roosters.

By the mid-1990s, with the Broncos having beaten the Dragons in two grand finals in 1992 and 1993, St George's then-chief executive, Geoff Carr, considered ways of matching Brisbane's turnover, which then was three times any Sydney club's. Carr explored a merger with the Roosters and was sacked by his board.

siv

First Grade
I didn't know Geoff Carr was interested in merging the Dragons with the Roosters.

By the mid-1990s, with the Broncos having beaten the Dragons in two grand finals in 1992 and 1993, St George's then-chief executive, Geoff Carr, considered ways of matching Brisbane's turnover, which then was three times any Sydney club's. Carr explored a merger with the Roosters and was sacked by his board.​
Yes that was one of the earliest merger options discussed along with Parra-Balmain

Yes that was one of the earliest merger options discussed along with Parra-Balmain
Imagine how much stronger the game would be if the mergers took place and were adopted by their fanbases?

We could have the Sydney Dragons and Parramatta Tigers.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Imagine how much stronger the game would be if the mergers took place and were adopted by their fanbases?

We could have the Sydney Dragons and Parramatta Tigers.
Lol

Mergers have been one big disaster in RL

Beagles & St Merge were takeovers with power plays, bickering and one de merger and we are possibly headed for another

Even the Wests-Tigers if Balmain had half a chance they would demerge. Even Wests are struggling to keep Ashfield & Campbelltown as a joint entity

And 25y later the fan base still doesnt accept mergers

Perth Red

Post Whore
what makes you say that? Tigers are only behind 3 other Sydney clubs for members despite being dire on the field for years and shoddy venues They play at.

Lol

Mergers have been one big disaster in RL

Beagles & St Merge were takeovers with power plays, bickering and one de merger and we are possibly headed for another

Even the Wests-Tigers if Balmain had half a chance they would demerge. Even Wests are struggling to keep Ashfield & Campbelltown as a joint entity

They only work if they're a take over or both give up their identity to form a new club with an independent party taking control of the football department.

Illawarra and St George were a poor fit. So were Sydney Wests and Balmain.

The only other option is to remove the weaker club from an over saturated area and have the one that survives rebrand to fill the void.

There's no getting around the fact Sydney only has a set number of rugby league fans and there's not enough of them to support nine teams. The fanbase isn't growing and has been in decline for decades. Continuing to stick with the current model is insane because it's an example of doing the same thing repetively and hoping for a different outcome.

Southern Sydney should just have one team. Wollongong shouldn't have anything but a few games from a team based in Southern Sydney and plays most of its games at the SFS.

The Sydney CBD should just have one team that's based full time at the SFS.

Tigers and Bulldogs shouldn't exist at all. Rabbitohs are covering that region quite well.

Manly serves no purpose.

MugaB

Coach
They only work if they're a take over or both give up their identity to form a new club with an independent party taking control of the football department.

The only other option is to remove the weaker club from an over saturated area and have the one that survives rebrand to fill the void.

There's no getting around the fact Sydney only has a set number of rugby league fans and there's not enough of them to support nine teams. The fanbase isn't growing and has been in decline for decades. Continuing to stick with the current model is insane because it's an example of doing the same thing repetively and hoping for a different outcome.

Southern Sydney should just have one team. Wollongong shouldn't have anything but a few games from a team based in Southern Sydney and plays most of its games at the SFS.

Tigers and Bulldogs shouldn't exist at all. Rabbitohs are covering that region quite well.

Manly serves no purpose.
Are you still here.... alone.... jibbering
videotogif_2022.12.24_01.05.33.gif
Go home to LOGAN!!!

Last edited:

ground zero

Juniors

Manly serves no purpose.
well i do agree with a poor fit. St George Dragons should play a few games in the gong an the rest at the new football stadium. Being 1 off the biggest brands in the NRL they don,t seem to be shown any respect anymore. seems like a lot off teams an former players who are journalists now are jealous off there history,

Ozzi_78

First Grade

You assume that if the 9 was cut to say 4 that the same amount of fans in Sydney would exist.

The reality for me is that if my team was to merge then I’d tap out of rugby league altogether. I’d bet my life that many others are the same as me. So yeah sure let’s try your plan and see how it pans out for the game in general.

well i do agree with a poor fit. St George Dragons should play a few games in the gong an the rest at the new football stadium. Being 1 off the biggest brands in the NRL they don,t seem to be shown any respect anymore. seems like a lot off teams an former players who are journalists now are jealous off there history,
An ideal merger in 1999 would have been South Sydney Rabbitohs and St George Dragons to become South Sydney Dragons. Cronulla Sharks could have merged with Illawarra Steelers to become the Illawarra Sharks.

Hey hey settle down .
I read his rants to get my daily lols.
never fails to deliver.

Tell us again how soccer became a popular sport in Singapore?

Last time I asked this question you said it is played all around the world because it's played everywhere. 🙄

Your logical fallacy goes like this:

Premise 1: Soccer is played everywhere.
Premise 2:???
Conclusion: Therefore soccer is played everywhere.

You use circular reasoning when pressed on your biases because you lack the cognitive ability to form a coherent argument.

Last edited:
I see the usual knuckle draggers who like a circle jerk are in here derailing the thread.

🙄

I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons and expose their bias by asking them to give their thoughts on @MugaB's proposition about the 18th licence. He reckons it should be given to a PNG team that has no money and has to be based out of Cairns because no one would take their family to live in a third world country that is rife with violence. If they don't lay into him for suggesting something so ludicrous then it proves they're just a bunch of shit stirring wankers from a clique who only target people not from their circle. There's nothing more pitiful than a gutless man who has no principles. Let's see how many of them prove my point.

I see the usual knuckle draggers who like a circle jerk are in here derailing the thread.

🙄

I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons and expose their bias by asking them to give their thoughts on @MugaB's proposition about the 18th licence. He reckons it should be given to a PNG team that has no money and has to be based out of Cairns because no one would take their family to live in a third world country that is rife with violence. If they don't lay into him for suggesting something so ludicrous then it proves they're just a bunch of shit stirring wankers from a clique who only target people not from their circle. There's nothing more pitiful than a gutless man who has no principles. Let's see how many of them prove my point.
Crackwhore

Latest posts