What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revenue for NRL Clubs (2018-2021)

AdelaideSharky

Juniors
You assume that if the 9 was cut to say 4 that the same amount of fans in Sydney would exist.

The reality for me is that if my team was to merge then I’d tap out of rugby league altogether. I’d bet my life that many others are the same as me. So yeah sure let’s try your plan and see how it pans out for the game in general.
Hit the nail on the head.

If my team was to merge or relocate I'd have nothing to do with rugby league ever again.

The AFL could kill the game for all I care if that happened.

Yes, let's talk about the NFL and compare it to the NRL.

The weakest NFL club probably generates more revenue and better ratings than the strongest NRL club.

The NFL isn't dumb enough to have more than half of its teams confined to one market.

The NFL doesn't play its final in the same city every year.

When I suggest the NRL expand into southeast Asia by taking games to Singapore I get laughed at -- look at all the dumb baby boomer knuckle draggers mocking my idea in this thread -- yet I am merely following the lead of the NFL London Series that's been held for 15 or so years.
Starts his post ridiculing a comparison to nfl and ends it wanting to copy an nfl idea. Not rowing with both oars this loon.

MugaB

Coach
RL attendances in Sydney have remained stagnate over the last 20 years, despite the city's population growth. It's proof that rugby league has no room to grow in Sydney.

I'm told regularly by the knuckle draggers on here there's zero chance of the game developing a following in Singapore because its population is from east and south Asia. Sydney's population growth is primarily from east and south Asia.

The statistics I compiled on page one of this thread prove Sydney cannot support nine clubs.

Money talks. Bullshit walks.

If there was a market for nine RL clubs in Sydney then the commercial sector would be throwing big money at them. The Broncos and Cowboys are more commercially viable than the Sydney clubs.
You forgot to mention me...
Aka...
wolverine-the.gif
LOGAN!!!

MugaB

Coach
Starts his post ridiculing a comparison to nfl and ends it wanting to copy an nfl idea. Not rowing with both oars this loon.
Yes what an absolute moron.... talks about a competition set in a country that has 332 million people in it, which is roughly 10 times what Australia and NZ combined, then spins off the narritive that they wouldn't be so stupid to have the bulk of clubs centered in one of their cities, well derr f**kwit... might as well start comparing the Monaco GP too.. im sure you'll find a way to spin it so the bronx and cows look like the poster clubs you want them to be...both being in a one team city...
Fact is AFL is the same as NRL, but just set up in Melbourne... so why arent you comparing them to NFL too... youve coined the phrase "knuckle dragging" you've also become one by your comparisons grotd you absolute tosser

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes what an absolute moron.... talks about a competition set in a country that has 332 million people in it, which is roughly 10 times what Australia and NZ combined, then spins off the narritive that they wouldn't be so stupid to have the bulk of clubs centered in one of their cities, well derr f**kwit... might as well start comparing the Monaco GP too.. im sure you'll find a way to spin it so the bronx and cows look like the poster clubs you want them to be...both being in a one team city...
Fact is AFL is the same as NRL, but just set up in Melbourne... so why arent you comparing them to NFL too... youve coined the phrase "knuckle dragging" you've also become one by your comparisons grotd you absolute tosser
Reality is if you were setting up either comp as a national comp from scratch you’d probably have 14-16 clubs max spread across the country with two clubs in the 5 main cities an extra 2 in melbourne and Sydney and a couple in the biggest regional cities, not 9/10 clubs based in one city. Its a global anomaly that only exists due to both sports taking a state league and Bolting teams on rather than setting it up as a genuine national comp like every other major comp in the world. It has its strength’s in the early days but now is a bit of headache for both codes.

MugaB

Coach
Reality is if you were setting up either comp as a national comp from scratch you’d probably have 14-16 clubs max spread across the country with two clubs in the 5 main cities an extra 2 in melbourne and Sydney and a couple in the biggest regional cities, not 9/10 clubs based in one city. Its a global anomaly that only exists due to both sports taking a state league and Bolting teams on rather than setting it up as a genuine national comp like every other major comp in the world. It has its strength’s in the early days but now is a bit of headache for both codes.
But its not, this competition started in nsw, so no one is reinventing the wheel

Perth Red

Post Whore
But its not, this competition started in nsw, so no one is reinventing the wheel
And like I said it’s not ideal and is a bit of an anchor now. Still itis what it is and is why rugby league here will never achieve the heights it could have. Such is life.
having said that there has been pressure points every 20 years or so, we saw it in the 80’s when the ARL was trying to expand, then in SL war, then in the post SL era with mergers and cuts. There may come a time in the future the game has to reconsider its footprint.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And this is based on what? Apart from you having a tanty because Perth didn't get a team.
Based on the fact the broncos predominantly draw from the northern suburbs (evidenced by the club funded research report) and that dolphins will, in all likelihood, have limited appeal from the southern suburbs given they are an exisiting traditional Redcliffe club, add in this is afls main target region and not surprisingly there has already been chatter on here about the need for brisbane3.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Based on the fact the broncos predominantly draw from the northern suburbs (evidenced by the club funded research report) and that dolphins will, in all likelihood, have limited appeal from the southern suburbs given they are an exisiting traditional Redcliffe club, add in this is afls main target region and not surprisingly there has already been chatter on here about the need for brisbane3.
So based on the opinion of a jealous AFL fan 4000 kilometres away.

Lol.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
can you read? Genuine question!
only 30mins ago Wb posted in the expansion thread about the need for a brisbane sw club.
ps I’m currently 17000kms away, two weeks ago I was no kms away, it’s almost like distance is irrelevant lol
I don't venture into the expansion forum because basically it's a bunch of nut jobs with a tenuous grip on reality.

I also don't keep tabs on your whereabouts.

Have a good Christmas, I hope your team wins the flag or whatever they give out in afl.

MugaB

Coach
Not sure why you’re trolling it tbh, the weak dolphins decision means that at some time we are, in all likelihood, going have to look at wasting another NRL license on Brisbane to cover the southern regions.
You mean the regions that are the broncos region.... that one grotd won't follow

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
The Broncos definitely do not draw most of their fans from the northern suburbs lol, that report is a joke if states that.

Wb1234

Immortal
I could see that happening but also highly unlikely that the NRL let that happen for all thier branding changes... plus it seems moreso that the club itself prefer the tiger mascot, even if "those old boys" want a change... you know with the recent BS of the St.george Illawarra Dragons and the marketing survey speculation about the name change, im suprised the Wests Tigers didn't try one too
Personally think it should be West Sydney Tigers, just like Souffs are
Tiger can be adopted by any new expansion side and it will be really popular

that way we get two foundation clubs back

Wb1234

Immortal
Sydney is why the sport HAS achieved what it has. Stick to your AFL honey
It’s because of Sydney the game expanded all over Australia and to Auckland

and then Sydney that felt the most cuts when clubs were killed out

Sydney is the place where rugby league is strongest in the universe

Latest posts