What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review: 2 Broke Girls/New Girl

redvscotty

First Grade
Nothing technical about that. Ratings have never meant show quality and Two and a Half Men prove it. Shit show, good ratings.

Show quality is down to individual opinion.

You might think LOST was a great show but I think it was shit. The masses tend to disagree with me. So be it.

It is fact that because 2 and a half men has good ratings, it is therefore a quality show, unless you are a merkin.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Show quality is down to individual opinion.

You might think LOST was a great show but I think it was shit. The masses tend to disagree with me. So be it.

It is fact that because 2 and a half men has good ratings, it is therefore a quality show, unless you are a merkin.
Pfft so the fact that Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber sell so many albums mean their music must be quality?

Technically their music isn't original, their voices aren't particularly impressive, music isn't raw, they rely heavily on their image, so despite it's popularity it cannot be classified as quality.

In terms of shows the same can said. Is the show well written? Are the characters cleverly constructed? Is the idea original? Is the dialogue creative?

On all scores Two and a Half Men would be lucky to get a D. Quality is not really subjective.

It's like saying chocolate is better than vegetables or going to a bar is better than going to a gym. People make poor choices.

redvscotty

First Grade
In terms of shows the same can said. Is the show well written? Are the characters cleverly constructed? Is the idea original? Is the dialogue creative?

On all scores Two and a Half Men would be lucky to get a D. Quality is not really subjective.

So you've presented your argument with a list of questions which can only be answered subjectively, and then said that quality is not subjective?

Cliffhanger

Coach
How is it subjective? Whether or not a concept is original isn't subjective. Creativity and originality aren't subjective.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Pfft so the fact that Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber sell so many albums mean their music must be quality?
Ummm no, just because they make so many albums doesn't mean anything. Music sales determine weather or not they are good songs, ie albums going triple platinum etc... due to high sales.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Ummm no, just because they make so many albums doesn't mean anything. Music sales determine weather or not they are good songs, ie albums going triple platinum etc... due to high sales.

Who let the dogs out went platinum... Care to carry on with your argument?

Cliffhanger

Coach
I mentioned the fact they sold many albums not made them and it doesn't change the fact their music isn't really quality. Their voices aren't really good, they are terrible performers. They don't write their own music and the music they use is shit anyway, it's generic. They just have the power of the record industry. Their songs aren't quality they're just catchy which appeals to children and the lowest common denominator which is why they dominate the charts.

Their music isn't art, it's not authentic they don't sell a million albums because their songs are good, it's because people are lazy and want their music to be convenient. As Immortal Technique says it just shows "a million people are stupid as f**k."

redvscotty

First Grade
Which is entirely your opinion Cliffhanger. It may also be the opinion of many others (I too think Beiber and Gaga are shithouse) however you cannot argue that they aren't quality just because you don't like them.

They are quality to a particular audience.

Cliffhanger

Coach
They aren't musicians or singers and they offer nothing authentic in terms of their "music" (and I use the word music loosely). They are not music artists, they are merely performers, they don't compose the music on their albums, they are just the product being sold, they're a brand not musicians, this isn't about taste. You can't say something is subjectively authentic, you can't call someone an artist when they aren't even creating the art.

Yes I'm a music elitist, you can't genuinely care about music and not be.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Nothing is original, be it music or television or literature or any human endeavour. There is always an inspiration or precedence.

Immortal Technique, for example, is not authentic. There was someone before him that influenced what he now does. Whether he is good or poor is subjective, there is no logical formula that can measure his or any other musicians work objectively.

But if you admitted that to yourself you wouldn't be profound or hip.

Cliffhanger

Coach
There's a difference between somebody else's work having some influence over yours and your work offering absolutely nothing original.

redvscotty

First Grade
They aren't musicians or singers and they offer nothing authentic in terms of their "music" (and I use the word music loosely). They are not music artists, they are merely performers, they don't compose the music on their albums, they are just the product being sold, they're a brand not musicians, this isn't about taste. You can't say something is subjectively authentic, you can't call someone an artist when they aren't even creating the art.

Yes I'm a music elitist, you can't genuinely care about music and not be.

So now they've gone from musicians (don't get me wrong, I agree they suck dogs balls), to performers?

So their performances aren't quality?