What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review: 2 Broke Girls/New Girl

There hasn't been a good SitCom since Seinfeld and Curb is the best show since Seinfeld.

Two and a half men is dog shit and about as funny as dirt.

roofromoz

First Grade
Seinfeld is a comedy that has stood up really well 15-20 years after it was first screened.

Time will tell whether Two and a Half Men will be seen in the same light in around 2025. It could be another Perfect Strangers - caught a bit on 7TWO yesterday waiting for the cricket to start... stink-arooney!

Actually, only narrow-minded individuals had difficulty seeing the what was funny in that show besides the sexual content. By saying this I am not referring to the repetitive things throughout the first 8 seasons (Jakes bad habits, Alan not having money etc...) I'm talking about the variety that came with it.

For the record, Chuck Lorre didn't make two and a half men successful... Charlie Sheen did. I guarantee you the show would not have lasted 8 seasons without Sheen in it. Watch it fail miserably now.

Isn't the guy a chiropractor?
How the Hell doe he have no money?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Isn't the guy a chiropractor?
How the Hell doe he have no money?
You seem to watch the show enough to know he's a chiropractor but not enough to know that he's broke? I thought the latter would've been more obvious lol. In the show, as a chiropractor, he's not considered a 'real' doctor (I'm not sure why), so that, on top of his divorce case with Judith equals him having no money.

Red Bear

Referee
You seem to watch the show enough to know he's a chiropractor but not enough to know that he's broke? I thought the latter would've been more obvious lol. In the show, as a chiropractor, he's not considered a 'real' doctor (I'm not sure why), so that, on top of his divorce case with Judith equals him having no money.
Because a chiropractor is not a real doctor at all? Not even close.

The only thing more annoying than fans of idiotic shows like 2.5 men are the desperate fan boys of shows like Arrested Development.

Its a decent show but not that great, hence its axing. Comparing it to a show like Curb, which has no issue at all running for as long as Larry David damned well pleases, is ridiculous.
AD was/is absolutely brilliant. Comparing AD to Curb (a show I also really like) is a pretty flawed comparrison due to the TV channels they were on. Curb is on HBO which is a cable channel that generally allows for a wide range of different humour/drama (eg The Wire, Flight of the Conchords etc), has more freedom allowed in it's shows and has less of that ratings concern. AD was on Fox, major channel, but didnt fit in with the type of shows a major channel broadcasts, as it is not a show that will appeal to a mass market. I mean by the time of the third season Fox refused to advertise or promote the show in anyway, dooming it to struggle.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Actually, only narrow-minded individuals had difficulty seeing the what was funny in that show besides the sexual content. By saying this I am not referring to the repetitive things throughout the first 8 seasons (Jakes bad habits, Alan not having money etc...) I'm talking about the variety that came with it.

For the record, Chuck Lorre didn't make two and a half men successful... Charlie Sheen did. I guarantee you the show would not have lasted 8 seasons without Sheen in it. Watch it fail miserably now.

Only narrow minded people don't find it funny? Please, the show follows the same formula every episode. Charlie bangs some chick, Alan fails miserably and Jake does something disgusting. Repeat.

With or without Sheen it is a dumb comedy.

Danish

Referee
AD was/is absolutely brilliant. Comparing AD to Curb (a show I also really like) is a pretty flawed comparrison due to the TV channels they were on. Curb is on HBO which is a cable channel that generally allows for a wide range of different humour/drama (eg The Wire, Flight of the Conchords etc), has more freedom allowed in it's shows and has less of that ratings concern. AD was on Fox, major channel, but didnt fit in with the type of shows a major channel broadcasts, as it is not a show that will appeal to a mass market. I mean by the time of the third season Fox refused to advertise or promote the show in anyway, dooming it to struggle.

So why didn't AD migrate to or start with from the outset with HBO, Showtime or any number of other cable channels?

The fact none of them wanted to pick it up after it got canned from Fox speaks volumes about how much they thought of the show. If AD was really the absolute diamond it's fans make it out to be then the cable channels would have been falling over each other to pick it up and show it on their channels after Fox gave it the arse.

As I said, it was a funny show but seriously it is overrated in the extreme

Red Bear

Referee
Because they (essentially) ended it in haste and planned a movie?

Coming back now as a series and movie but that wasnt the plan at that point I dont think.

beave

Coach
The original reason AD got axed I believe was that it was up against the same timeslot as Survivor. I think it is brilliant and cannot wait to see it fire up again.

roofromoz

First Grade
From a Season 3 episode of AD... they were fishing!

Michael: So, what's going on with the fundraiser?
George Snr: Well, I don't think the Home Builders Organization is gonna be supporting us.
Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Snr: Well, I think it's "Show Time." I think we have to have a show during dinner.

redvscotty

First Grade

Alan made the show, Charlie just helped him out by showing up when he wasn't drunk or off chops on drugs.

Actually I will go as far as to say that the characters around Charlie made more of an impact than Charlie did, he was just the glue in the middle holding it together.

If Charlie was still there and Berta or Alan were not, it would have failed long before now.

Kutcher is just a wank. Not funny in the slightest.

Big Bang is alright, but gets old quick, Mike and Molly if furking terrible, but i still watch it if I have the TV on for some reason.

I guess that makes me dumb and uneducated!

Bulldog Force

Referee
Alan made the show, Charlie just helped him out by showing up when he wasn't drunk or off chops on drugs.

Actually I will go as far as to say that the characters around Charlie made more of an impact than Charlie did, he was just the glue in the middle holding it together.

If Charlie was still there and Berta or Alan were not, it would have failed long before now.

Kutcher is just a wank. Not funny in the slightest.

Big Bang is alright, but gets old quick, Mike and Molly if furking terrible, but i still watch it if I have the TV on for some reason.

I guess that makes me dumb and uneducated!
I can't really comment on Big Bang and M&M - I don't watch them. To be honest the only comedies I watch are:

How I Met Your Mother, Rules of Engagement, Modern Family, 2 Broke Girls (Yes, I admit that proudly ;-))

Past: Two and a half men, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Becker.