What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rick Ponting is a disgrace

Nevcost

Juniors
Australia are bad sports and India are a pack of whingers, I'm sick of hearing about it in the news.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/01/08/1199554654309.html

Why Ponting's heroes just don't appeal to me

I DON'T like cheats. And I don't like this Australian cricket team.

When Andrew Symonds bowled a straight one on the last day of the SCG Test to Rahul Dravid, who padded up, deflecting the ball into the gloves of Adam Gilchrist, did any of the Australians really think it was out? I doubt it. No one watching on TV thought it was out. It wasn't out. Ricky Ponting and his cohorts knew it. Dravid's bat was behind his pad. To appeal when you know the batsman is not out is, to my mind, cheating.

It's the Australian way. Has been for years. Gilchrist's predecessor, Ian Healy, enunciated the rationale perfectly while commentating — he appealed when he thought the batsman was out, or when he thought the umpire might give it out. That is, he would appeal if knew it was not out but thought the umpire might give it out. As I said, cheating.

The heroes of this Australian team say that in cricket you cop the good with the bad. That's exactly what captain Ponting conspicuously failed to do in this Test. In the first innings he was given not out when clearly out. Quite some runs later he was given out when he was not out. Did he cop it? No, he stood and glared at the umpire. He should have been fined for dissent. He should have acknowledged it was an easy mistake to make, given the bat was next to the pad, making the deflection all but imperceptible. And it wasn't just the heat of the moment: the tantrum continued at the dressing-room. He should have been ashamed of himself. Back to the Bourbon and Beefsteak, mate.

But Ponting is not ashamed. "I really can't see how we have done anything wrong by the spirit of the game," he said when the furore blew up. I can. So can a lot of others.

The Australians have just equalled the game's longest winning streak. Next week in Perth they should better it. Then go one better again in Adelaide. Who knows where it might end. Well, they can stick their streak where they can stick their 3 mobile. After this effort, I couldn't care less.

Which is a pity. There was much to like in this contest. Brad Hogg an unlikely saviour in the first-innings revival. The Indian response was better still: Dravid's doggedness, Laxman's elegance, Tendulkar's mastery. Even Ponting's properness in declining to appeal for a line-ball low-down take. But the match was marred and entered the halls of infamy by the poorest of umpiring, Australian petulance — and Harbhajan's Singh's wrongdoing. If, that is, you accept the Australians' version of events and not his.

But when the Australians stand at the crease when they edge the ball to first slip and appeal when the batsmen is clearly not out — well, why then would you believe anything they say?

The lack of good grace marked the Australians throughout this match. And series — what a cheek of Matthew Hayden to say that Anil Kumble "stole" five wickets in Melbourne. You could say Hayden has stolen 29 Test centuries, having barely faced one decent fast bowler in all that time. The lack of grace was there when Ponting motioned to the commentary box after the game, from where Tony Greig had dared to criticise the timing of his declaration. And it was there at the post-match media conference when he blasted an Indian reporter for daring to question him.

Ricky, time to have some KFC and calm down. Me, I think I need a bucket.

You know what I mean.

Moffo

Referee
so willow/mickdo/tim/twizzle/everyone else, does this article make these australian icons australia haters and indian lovers?

Cricket
WWOS
  • > Article
var JS_OMNI_TOOLS= "ART~~343551";Sport legends slam Aussie cricket team
09:06 AEST Wed Jan 9 2008

Text size
AAA

Go mobile Print Email

Latest Cricket:
McGrath walks out a winner again
Warriors limp past winless Redbacks
Hussey stars again as Vics beat Tassie
WACA confident Test will go ahead
Aussies go Bollywood, Indians do Bondi

A group of sporting legends plan to complain to Cricket Australia that the behaviour of Ricky Ponting's cricket team is damaging Australia's international reputation.
Sport Australia Hall of Fame members John Bertrand, Herb Elliott and Rob de Castella are among those angry at the behaviour of the Australian cricket team in the wake of the controversial second Test in Sydney last week.
The cricket team was accused of bad sportsmanship in their narrow win over India.
Bertrand, chairman of the hall of fame, said the group would seek an urgent meeting with Cricket Australia because Australia's Test team was damaging international relations with its "win at all costs" attitude.
"Sport is only sport. It's not war," Bertrand told News Limited newspapers.
"Both Rob and Herb feel very strongly about this issue.
"We will be seeking a meeting with Cricket Australia to seek to get the Australian team to readjust their behaviour so that they do show respect for their opponents."
AFL hero Ron Barassi agreed with the hall of famers.
"It concerns me that the Australians are regularly being referred to as being arrogant and because it is mentioned so often, you begin to wonder," he said.
The criticism comes with India set to resume their tour of Australia after earlier this week suspending it in the wake of spinner Harbhajan Singh's three-Test ban for calling Andrew Symonds a "monkey", a charge they vehemently deny.
The Indian cricket board has lodged an appeal against Harbhajan's suspension and if it isn't heard by the start of the Perth Test on January 16, the controversial spinner will be free to play.
But the threat to pull out of the tour remained, with a one-day tri-series to follow the four tests, if the International Cricket Council (ICC) rejected the appeal against Harbhajan's ban, the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) said.
Indian officials also got their way over demands to dump veteran umpire Steve Bucknor, who will be replaced by New Zealand's Billy Bowden following a series of contentious decisions in the Sydney Test the Indians argue cost them the game.
The ICC said the replacement of umpire Steve Bucknor has stopped an international incident from becoming an international crisis.
"We could have gone in banging the table and playing `who blinks first', we could have turned what is already an international incident into an international crisis," ICC chief Malcolm Speed told the Nine Network.
"What we have elected to do, and we've given some serious thought about this, is to take one of the issues out of play.
But test great Glenn McGrath says it is "ridiculous" the ICC caved in to the BCCI's request to dump Steve Bucknor from next week's third Test in Perth.
Australian spinner Brad Hogg is also likely to front a hearing next Monday after being charged with making an offensive remark to India captain Anil Kumble and vice-captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni during the second Test.
"I think it is sad and disappointing that it gets to the stage where you have a bad game and they are calling for your head," McGrath said after playing a farewell Twenty20 match for NSW on Tuesday night in Sydney.
The ICC has also set a preliminary date of January 14 for Hogg's hearing with match referee Mike Procter - two days before the start of the third Test in Perth.
The spinner was reported by Indian team manager Chetan Chauhan for allegedly calling one of their players a "bastard" on the final day of the controversial Sydney Test.
Hogg has been charged with a Level 3 offence, which carries a ban of between two and four Tests, or four and eight one-day internationals.
After two days of drama, the Indian squad are finally set to leave Sydney on Wednesday for Canberra to play in a warm-up game starting on Thursday.

logo_aap.jpg

©AAP 2007
Font.initFont(["fontSmallAnchor", "fontSmallAnchor", 9], ["fontMediumAnchor", "fontMediumAnchor", 11], ["fontLargeAnchor", "fontLargeAnchor", 14], "article0_body")

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
John Bertrand, Herb Elliott and Rob de Castella

they are free to express their opinion but it certainly doesn't mean they are Indian lovers

not sure what they have to do with cricket tho

"Sport is only sport. It's not war," Bertrand told News Limited newspapers.

good point Mr Bertrand, was he referring to Iraq ?

Moffo

Referee
well according to willow im a indian lover because i have an opinion against the way australia plays

JJ

Immortal
twizzle

Is everyone that disagrees with you expousing biased opinionated rubbish (which, of course, you would never do :sarcasm:)

Or, are they Indian lovers/Australian haters?

JJ

Immortal
thanks dumb and dumber... if you come up with a sensible answer, let me know

mickdo

Coach
Moffo said:
how so mr do?
Because they attempt to hold Australia to a higher standard, and ignore indescretions by other teams, trying to paint Australia as the only sledgers, excessive appealers, close catch 'takers', and non-walkers in the game, when to anyone with two eyes they are clearly not.

Latest posts