What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Ponting is a Shocking Captain Thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
I dont think Punter is shocking but he sure can be negative some times.

We'v been spoiled by th likes of Tugga and Taylor and Punter is just average.

throw in AB in there as well

We probably need another Grumpy captain like him tbh

Clarke (to me) seems a manufactured/establishment type captain. BUT he is still very raw, another couple years he could be ideal??

JB

Juniors
He's one hell of a batsman, but his captaincy has been found wanting. Not surprising really, given his "killer blow" tactic previously, would have been to just chuck the ball to Warnie or McGrath. With the bowlers he's got, he needs to mix them up a lot better, re-visit bowling plans to specific batsmen, and get his field positions down pact. Couldn't believe he didn't open with Johnson on the last day. Fleming from NZ had pop gun attacks, but learnt to get the most out of them. Aust's attack is still a sh*t load better than that, but Ponting needs to learn to do the same.

juanfarkall

Coach
I am not sure how a bloke who put the hard word on Carlotta could ever have been considered as Australian Cricket Captain.

lockyno1

Post Whore
He's one hell of a batsman, but his captaincy has been found wanting. Not surprising really, given his "killer blow" tactic previously, would have been to just chuck the ball to Warnie or McGrath. With the bowlers he's got, he needs to mix them up a lot better, re-visit bowling plans to specific batsmen, and get his field positions down pact. Couldn't believe he didn't open with Johnson on the last day. Fleming from NZ had pop gun attacks, but learnt to get the most out of them. Aust's attack is still a sh*t load better than that, but Ponting needs to learn to do the same.

Agreed 100% with this post..as a captain your job is to get the best out of your bowlers..why Johnson did not open ahead of dropkick Lee is one of the worst decisions in test history and a captaincy blunder of monumental proportions.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
He's had his bad moments alot in the last few years but I don't think he's as bad as everyone makes him out to be. It's not entirely his fault is players can't execute for crap or know what 'plans' are.

mozza91

Coach
I thought he skippered us well in the field last night....
No Ponting has never done anything moderatly Ok at any time in his existance can't bat field or lead a side ever nor has Hayden,Hussey,Clarke or Lee just ask 95% of the keyboard heroes on here

Bazal

Post Whore
No Ponting has never done anything moderatly Ok at any time in his existance can't bat field or lead a side ever nor has Hayden,Hussey,Clarke or Lee just ask 95% of the keyboard heroes on here

LOL...Hyperbole FTW!!!

FOr the record, Ponting is a terrible captain. And for the idiots (like the above with the advanced case of rabies) I come to this conclusion based on 15 years watching, playing and 8 years captaining and coaching cricket. Does that make me a keyboard hero? :lol:

mozza91

Coach
LOL...Hyperbole FTW!!!

FOr the record, Ponting is a terrible captain. And for the idiots (like the above with the advanced case of rabies) I come to this conclusion based on 15 years watching, playing and 8 years captaining and coaching cricket. Does that make me a keyboard hero? :lol:
Having no idea what it is like captaining Australia just because your a park cricketer doesn't give you the right to insult a man who knows intricatly more about the game then you ever will.
The side sucks in all aspects of the game that is not Ponting's fault it's the lack of talent

Bazal

Post Whore
Having no idea what it is like captaining Australia just because your a park cricketer doesn't give you the right to insult a man who knows intricatly more about the game then you ever will.
The side sucks in all aspects of the game that is not Ponting's fault it's the lack of talent

LOL. So we can't form an opinion based on our cricketing experience because it's not international experience, despite the fundamentals of the game being the same? And who the hell are you to judge whether any of us know more or less than Ricky Ponting about the game if you A) Don't know us from John Smith and B) won't let us judge Ponting's captaincy based on our knowledge of the game? Essentially, you're criticising our knowledge and in some cases captaincy ability (which is not on display for you to criticise) but also criticising us for criticising Ponting's knowledge and captaincy ability (which os on display for us to criticise)...

mozza91

Coach
LOL. So we can't form an opinion based on our cricketing experience because it's not international experience, despite the fundamentals of the game being the same? And who the hell are you to judge whether any of us know more or less than Ricky Ponting about the game if you A) Don't know us from John Smith and B) won't let us judge Ponting's captaincy based on our knowledge of the game? Essentially, you're criticising our knowledge and in some cases captaincy ability (which is not on display for you to criticise) but also criticising us for criticising Ponting's knowledge and captaincy ability (which os on display for us to criticise)...
Your allowed opinions but nobody acknowledges the good things Ponting does instead they bag him out for the teams performances which isn't alot of the time his fault

fish eel

Immortal
LOL...Hyperbole FTW!!!

I just think it is funny that this thread got bumped AFTER he did a good job!!! :lol:

BTW Bazal, want one of these to blow:

Trumpet.jpg

;-)

Bazal

Post Whore
I just think it is funny that this thread got bumped AFTER he did a good job!!! :lol:

BTW Bazal, want one of these to blow:

Trumpet.jpg

;-)

I'm no good with trumpets or any other woodwind or brass instrument :(

Personally, I don't think he did a good job in the previous game. He wasn't terrible but he certainly wasn't good. There are a few key indicators when Ponting is struggling; long conferences and constant bowling changes being the main ones and they abounded last game. He's simply not decisive or tactically minded, sadly, because he's a great batsman and fielder and we stand to either lose that early when he's sacked as skipper or put up with his captaincy because we can't lose his other qualities.

Also, wasn't this bumped after Fridays game originally anyway?