What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Quits

Inferno

Coach
Anyone think it was a bit weak to tell the media before he even spoke to the team? After all the huffing and puffing about putting the players first and caring about the players, and the team ends up finding out reading the telegraph.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The players knew before the game I reckon. Also good to avoid the media scrum that leaks provide. Sunday was a good day to do the deal.

Eion

First Grade
Anyone think it was a bit weak to tell the media before he even spoke to the team? After all the huffing and puffing about putting the players first and caring about the players, and the team ends up finding out reading the telegraph.
That's what stood out to me too Inferno....if true.....it was ordinary.

Dave Q

Coach
The Ricky era is finally over.

He took a pigs ear and turned it into a pigs ear.

At least he wasnt as disliked as the proprietor of Formal Wear Express.

gregstar

Referee
The Ricky era is finally over.

He took a pigs ear and turned it into a pigs ear.

At least he wasnt as disliked as the proprietor of Formal Wear Express.
hey stupid.

what you know about footy could be printed on the tip of a toothpick with a crayon.

Dave Q

Coach
hey stupid.

what you know about footy could be printed on the tip of a toothpick with a crayon.

Only someone as possessed as you could be trying to troll me on a foriegn forum.

So leave me and my own to mope in peace you freckle-kissing turd burgler.

millersnose

Post Whore

if true its understandable

imagine the strain this guy has been under for the last 2 years

a small piece of eratic behaviour is pretty understandable in the circumstances

the guy deserves to leave in honor

i have seen nothing from the guy but full on attempts to get the sharks working

Dave Q

Coach
Yeah I think he had a pretty good dig at it.

But it was nightmare stuff off the park. So many forces at work undermining him, a lot of unintended.

Ultimately he was let down by a lot of people, then finally, he thought that the players couldnt or wouldnt respond. That was the last straw.

Once they proved to him that they werent going to try for him and his last year, that was the curtain call.

But the new coach has a lot of wraps of him. I think if the position is to have some fun with the remainder of the season then we will see some entertaining stuff, try some juniors, players in novel positions, jag some wins against some big guns, build up for next year.

Realistically, according to Mark Hughes, in most cases, three to four years to build up a genuinely competitive squad.

Everyone was going to take a shower and respond to the services of a great coach with a terrific track record. Not to be.

millersnose

Post Whore
irvine blamed

<H2 id=story>Cronulla chairman alleged to be behind Trent Barrett's decision to leave
By Stuart Honeysett and Margie McDonald
July 21, 2010 Having already driven out former coach Ricky Stuart and chief executive Richard Fisk, a fractured relationship with chairman Damian Irvine is alleged to be behind captain Trent Barrett's decision to leave Cronulla at the end of the season.
Sources said that Barrett, who had indicated he would retire in spring but has now been linked with a switch to Parramatta, has had little time for Irvine since the club's round two game against the Warriors in March.
Barrett didn't play well during the 30-16 loss in Auckland and Irvine later humiliated the Sharks five-eighth by turning his back on him in front of a group of people.
It is also understood Barrett is not the only player who has issues with the chairman. Irvine is fast losing the respect of the dressing room over the growing exodus from the club.
Fisk admitted he had butted heads with his chairman over several issues before he decided against renewing his contract in May, while Stuart has had a poisonous relationship with Irvine since the chairman was said to have approached Nathan Brown to take over as coach.
Barrett, who captained NSW in the final State of Origin game this season and cited a growing family behind his reasons for retiring and returning home to Temora, is still playing well. And there are plenty who believe he is giving it away too early at age 32.
Given his frosty relationship withe Irvine, there are rumours he could join the Eels, given they are looking for an experienced half to help mentor Daniel Mortimer.
However, Irvine was adamant that Barrett, who missed Saturday night's embarrassing 48-18 loss to Manly with a shoulder injury, had made it clear to a group of sponsors that night that the Eels were not an option.
"It's still undecided what his decision is in regards to playing football again," Irvine said.
"But I've had a chat with Trent and I'm very confident that if he's not playing football here next year he will have a role with the club (as a coaching consultant) certainly."
Newly appointed coach Shane Flanagan, who was scheduled to take over in November but will now guide the club through its final seven games, said he expects Barrett to retire.
"Trent sat in my office and told me he wouldn't play for another club," Flanagan said.
"If Trent wants to play rugby league again I'm on the lookout for a half-five eighth, so I'll find the money so he can play here again."
Irvine also admitted that any problem between him and Stuart stemmed from the former coach.
"It's a bit one-way," Irvine said. "I've got no problem with Ricky.
"I really admire and respect him as a football coach. We've been 100 per cent supportive of Ricky as a board.
"There's been a lot of conjecture of us looking at other coaches but I'm on record as saying we haven't done. I stand by that.
"But that's obviously affected Ricky a bit."
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27436855-5018866,00.html</H2>

millersnose

Post Whore
meanwhile the players seem to be getting over the departure of ricky

Sad news didn't stop players celebrating

Kelly danced in his bright orange boots as his teammates clapped and cheered.
Adam Cuthbertson took his shirt off and waved it over his head and they cheered some more.
All huddled in the middle of Toyota Park full of laughter and hope, this is how the Sharks ended their first session under new coach Shane Flanagan after Ricky Stuart quit after four hard years.
"You're lucky Trent Barrett wasn't dancing," Flanagan said.
"He only knows one dance and it doesn't come with clothes."
Most were expecting a funeral at Shark Park yesterday.
Expecting the players to be down and out following another humiliating loss and the departure of their coach. But yesterday was about new beginnings.
"It is definitely sad to see him go," Sharks captain Trent Barrett said. "He has done so many things for this club. But Ricky has made the decision that he thinks is the best for him and the best for the club."

At 1.57pm, wearing a black jumper and jeans instead of a Sharks polo shirt and spray pants, Stuart walked into the Cronulla dressingroom and told his players he would no longer be their coach.
He spoke to them for 19 minutes, telling them he was proud to be their mate and why he had to leave.
"He was disappointed and relieved at the same time," Barrett said.
"He just wanted us to know that the decision was based on him. It wasn't about us and certainly wasn't about us letting him down.
"We knew that but he told us anyway."
The players did not know Stuart had quit until they woke up yesterday morning to screaming headlines and ringing phones.
"I know him well enough to know something was wrong but I didn't know he was ready to quit until my phone started ringing," Barrett said.
Several players tried to ring Stuart to see if it was true.
To see if he really had quit. But no one could get through.
"I didn't know until a mate called me," NSW Origin prop Kade Snowden said.
And that is why the Cronulla dressing room erupted to thunderous applause at 2.16pm when Stuart finished his final address.
"We just thanked him and said well done," Snowden said.
As Stuart finished his 10 minute and 47 second meeting with the press, Snowden stood behind a wall peering at all the cameras and microphones that had been at Shark Park since 7am. After a moment of hesitation he made his way out onto the field and the rest of the team followed. New coach, same job.
"They wouldn't care if Jack the Ripper was coaching them," Flanagan joked.
"As long as they are getting paid and playing football, they are happy."
And you can bet there will be more bright orange boots and silly dances if they begin Flanagan's career and see off Stuart's with a win.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...yers-celebrating/story-e6frexni-1225894809989

carcharias

Immortal
I heard Barrett on the radio just this morning saying he will play for Cronulla or retire.

To me it sounded a lot lile he is waiting on a decision based on somebody else being there next year.

Latest posts