What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Quits

Generalzod

Immortal
I heard Barrett on the radio just this morning saying he will play for Cronulla or retire.

To me it sounded a lot lile he is waiting on a decision based on somebody else being there next year.

If he doesn't play he'll be part of the coaching staff.

meanwhile the players seem to be getting over the departure of ricky

Sad news didn't stop players celebrating

Kelly danced in his bright orange boots as his teammates clapped and cheered.
Adam Cuthbertson took his shirt off and waved it over his head and they cheered some more.
All huddled in the middle of Toyota Park full of laughter and hope, this is how the Sharks ended their first session under new coach Shane Flanagan after Ricky Stuart quit after four hard years.
"You're lucky Trent Barrett wasn't dancing," Flanagan said.
"He only knows one dance and it doesn't come with clothes."
Most were expecting a funeral at Shark Park yesterday.
Expecting the players to be down and out following another humiliating loss and the departure of their coach. But yesterday was about new beginnings.
"It is definitely sad to see him go," Sharks captain Trent Barrett said. "He has done so many things for this club. But Ricky has made the decision that he thinks is the best for him and the best for the club."

At 1.57pm, wearing a black jumper and jeans instead of a Sharks polo shirt and spray pants, Stuart walked into the Cronulla dressingroom and told his players he would no longer be their coach.
He spoke to them for 19 minutes, telling them he was proud to be their mate and why he had to leave.
"He was disappointed and relieved at the same time," Barrett said.
"He just wanted us to know that the decision was based on him. It wasn't about us and certainly wasn't about us letting him down.
"We knew that but he told us anyway."
The players did not know Stuart had quit until they woke up yesterday morning to screaming headlines and ringing phones.
"I know him well enough to know something was wrong but I didn't know he was ready to quit until my phone started ringing," Barrett said.
Several players tried to ring Stuart to see if it was true.
To see if he really had quit. But no one could get through.
"I didn't know until a mate called me," NSW Origin prop Kade Snowden said.
And that is why the Cronulla dressing room erupted to thunderous applause at 2.16pm when Stuart finished his final address.
"We just thanked him and said well done," Snowden said.
As Stuart finished his 10 minute and 47 second meeting with the press, Snowden stood behind a wall peering at all the cameras and microphones that had been at Shark Park since 7am. After a moment of hesitation he made his way out onto the field and the rest of the team followed. New coach, same job.
"They wouldn't care if Jack the Ripper was coaching them," Flanagan joked.
"As long as they are getting paid and playing football, they are happy."
And you can bet there will be more bright orange boots and silly dances if they begin Flanagan's career and see off Stuart's with a win.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...yers-celebrating/story-e6frexni-1225894809989

Hahahaaaha!

Inferno

Coach
I heard Barrett on the radio just this morning saying he will play for Cronulla or retire.

To me it sounded a lot lile he is waiting on a decision based on somebody else being there next year.

He said exactly the same thing last night as well.

Seems to be a lot of negative press surrounding Irvine lately. Whether it's true or not, it is something that is starting to become very concerning.

carcharias

Immortal
He said exactly the same thing last night as well.

Seems to be a lot of negative press surrounding Irvine lately. Whether it's true or not, it is something that is starting to become very concerning.

that or another 5/8 is being sounded out.

FTR I think ( maybe I am wrong here ) but DI is doing what it takes to save the club long term.
If that means giving overpaid players and staff the flick then so be it.

carinashark

First Grade
I think Irvine is doing what has to be done but the media in general are looking to blame him for every negative rumour by a player manager or Phil Rotherfield.

Inferno

Coach
that or another 5/8 is being sounded out.

FTR I think ( maybe I am wrong here ) but DI is doing what it takes to save the club long term.
If that means giving overpaid players and staff the flick then so be it.

Absolutely Carch. It is no secret the last mob were running us into the ground. Anyone coming in and trying to make any major changes is going to suffer a backlash from those that have been there for a long time and used to doing things a certain way. That doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong, but it's understandable that it could lead to some negative press.

kurtz

Juniors
From the archives....
SMH "The Fitz Files" - 29.05.2010 (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/will-the-mud-stick-to-armstrong-20100528-wlg6.html):

STUART TOPS STUART

TFF hates to shut down one of our favourite competitions in May, but our 2010 Michael Clarke Award for referring to yourself in the third person is now officially over. As if you didn't know, Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart is this year's recipient after announcing his forthcoming resignation on Monday: "The timing's right for Ricky Stuart - it's probably the first decision I've made for Ricky Stuart at the Cronulla Sharks the last three years I've been here." The interesting thing is the only quote to compare with it is the immortal "Ricky Stuart will do what's best for Ricky Stuart," said in the middle of the Super League War. At this point, I don't think even Michael Clarke himself could out-do him!
:lol:

From today.....
SMH "Stuart more interested in return to NRL than coaching the Blues" (http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/stuart-more-interested-in-return-to-nrl-than-coaching-the-blues-20100720-10jj0.html):

... Stuart insists that when he does come back he won't be jumping blindly at the first opportunity. Reading between the lines, the impression is that if Stuart had his time over he would not have gone to the Sharks in the first place.

''The next NRL job I do will be something I'll look deeply into in regards to making it the right fit for Ricky Stuart,'' he said. ''When and where that is, who knows? I've just got to make sure I pick the right club.''...
:shock:

Obviously Ricky Stuart does not apologise for referring to Ricky Stuart as Ricky Stuart.

Also, those quotes can't be right. The Ricky I know surely wouldn't have said

"Ricky Stuart will do what's best for Ricky Stuart", and

"I've just got to make sure I pick the right club''.