What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart: Jarryd Hayne may be the attacking five-eighth the Blues need to beat Qu

If Hayne is 5/8 i will chop off my own d*ck and eat it. Hopefully it's just mind games and being used to fire Carney up. Hayne HAS to be in our back line.

I think I've come to the realisation that Ricky Stuart is a terrible coach and here is my rationale...

The fullbacks are looking a bit thin... Brett Stewart and Dugan are injured, and their two fullbacks in CvC are Lachlan Coote (surely 0% chance of playing SOO) and Brett Morris.

So, completely against the grain, Ricky Stuart comes up with an idea to move one of the best fullbacks in the game (especially points scoring/attacking ability) up to the front line... at a time when fullback stocks are thin???

Meanwhile, at 5/8th there are about 5 quality players... some have SOO experience (campese, soward, mullen...even wallace), one is a Dally M Medal Winner (Carney), and another talented one in Maloney.

How does this make sense? Is SOO the time to be experimenting? Especially an experiment that has been tried and failed in his club team...

Year after year, Stuart makes an absolute debacle out of these seemingly simple positional choices - thus, I conclude... he's a shit coach.

As a selector, he is f*cked. Selection is everything, at Origin level. He'll be there for another year or two. Enjoy. :D

Didgi

Tim Moltzen has got on the phone to let Ricky know he's available.

We know what happens next...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Any choice made my Stuart that keeps Carney out of the 6 jersey is absolutely criminal. He is the only half we have with a chance of outplaying the opposition and absolute must be in the side.

I'd go with:

1. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Pearce
9. Buderus

I'd then enlist a crazy bench player, like a Tamou or TLL, to simply go head hunting in the QLD spine. No one gets sent off in origin so just end one of their nights ala Barrett on Inglis. My prefered target would be Smith, with Slater a close 2nd.

That would be my spine and I would keep it there for the whole series. I saw Hayne play a couple of weeks ago and his knee appeared stuffed. I'm amazed he hasn't been booked in for surgery. But if he is ok, then he'd be my choice at fb.

Putting him at 5/8 would be madness. Both for this series and for the future, as it would stop another player gaining experience.

caylo

Bench
To me it doesn't both me, I personally would chose Stewart over Hayne at fullback for NSW esp considering Haynes injury. I honestly wouldnt mind if NSW ran out with:

1 Hayne
6 Carney
7 (insert halfback) - my preference Mullen or Wallace
9 Farah

or

1 Stewart
6 Hayne
7 Carney
9 Farah

more importantly to me is that Farah has to be in the 9 without a dominate 7 because he will help organize the team as he does for the tigers and esp if Hayne is in the 6 he gives a 3rd kicking option that buds and ennis don't provide.

What people forget too is that in the 6 hayne provides a better defender then even the best halves. While Mullen and Wallace do very well for their size Hayne is as big as most backrowers plus he is more likely to take an intercept or break tackles in open play and he is quicker then most halves (i.e better counter attack option).

It must be a choice between Stewart and the player that partners Carney IMO, if stewart is out then Hayne should be in the #1 no questions asked (Dugan has barley played this year so I wont consider him until he does) but if there is a origin level player to replace Hayne in the #1 jersey it is worth the risk because realistically there are few players in the halves for NSW that are origin quality.

Jack Gibson said you pick your best 17 and work out the positions after, IMO Stewart and Hayne are both in the top 5 of NSW players so pick them both and work out the numbers later.

Dragoness

Juniors
I think I've come to the realisation that Ricky Stuart is a terrible coach and here is my rationale...

The fullbacks are looking a bit thin... Brett Stewart and Dugan are injured, and their two fullbacks in CvC are Lachlan Coote (surely 0% chance of playing SOO) and Brett Morris.

So, completely against the grain, Ricky Stuart comes up with an idea to move one of the best fullbacks in the game (especially points scoring/attacking ability) up to the front line... at a time when fullback stocks are thin???

Meanwhile, at 5/8th there are about 5 quality players... some have SOO experience (campese, soward, mullen...even wallace), one is a Dally M Medal Winner (Carney), and another talented one in Maloney.

How does this make sense? Is SOO the time to be experimenting? Especially an experiment that has been tried and failed in his club team...

Year after year, Stuart makes an absolute debacle out of these seemingly simple positional choices - thus, I conclude... he's a shit coach.

I was thinking the same Pearce is hopeless, they played together under him at the roosters & did nothing. I think Carney is our best option, Haynes has to be No. 1. Why he persists with Dugan who the raiders are lucky if they see him play 5 games a year is beyond me! Brett Morris & Uate are also a must in the backline.... Any chance of Wallace being back by then? Stressful times ahead

Boganater

Juniors
I was thinking the same Pearce is hopeless, they played together under him at the roosters & did nothing. I think Carney is our best option, Haynes has to be No. 1. Why he persists with Dugan who the raiders are lucky if they see him play 5 games a year is beyond me! Brett Morris & Uate are also a must in the backline.... Any chance of Wallace being back by then? Stressful times ahead
Uate yes but why is Morris a must? He has done sweet FA when playing Origin in how many games? Time to give someone else a go.

Dragoness

Juniors
Uate yes but why is Morris a must? He has done sweet FA when playing Origin in how many games? Time to give someone else a go.

Some consistancy would be good for one (he's played 10 games for Australia & scored 11 tries, you can't say he is a bad rep player). No winger is good if they don't get any ball...!

Vic Mackey

Referee
And he has run about 11m for those 11 tries

Morris has never done anything at rep level, great club winger but gets found out any higher

Boganater

Juniors
Some consistancy would be good for one (he's played 10 games for Australia & scored 11 tries, you can't say he is a bad rep player). No winger is good if they don't get any ball...!
He got plenty of ball he just dropped it. You can't really go off form for Australia when he had Lockyer and GI inside him tearing holes in defenses and handing him the ball. You could make George Rose look good on the wing for Australia outside those guys.

Dragoness

Juniors

Morris has never done anything at rep level, great club winger but gets found out any higher

I think the difference really is that in the Australia team he had Lockyer, Thurston, Smith (no one in the NSW backline has done well recently becayse we cant get these positions right). In my opinion the tries within 11 meters require more effort & skill. You seriously don't think we should go with a entire new team (other than the obvious Gallen). Seriously he puts his body on the line, he's fast & he defends..

Hutty1986

Immortal

He's made two crucial errors at SOO level, unfortunately with the team being so useless, both have meant losses. To be honest, he was lucky to be in the team then but he's a different player now and gets a lot more involved as well

Dragon2010

First Grade
True. He did cost us games with silly defensive reads. In attack he has been okay but he is still one of the form backs currently. It will be a risk but I think it's one we might have to take. With Dugan injured we should see one of these

1. Stewart
2. Bmoz
3. Jennings (Should be back in time)
4. Hayne/Lawrence
5. Uate

1. Hayne
2. Bmoz
3. Jennings
4. JMoz/Lawrence
5. Uate

Vic Mackey

Referee
He's made two crucial errors at SOO level, unfortunately with the team being so useless, both have meant losses. To be honest, he was lucky to be in the team then but he's a different player now and gets a lot more involved as well

Yes he is playing fullback now and playing fantastic footy

If Stewart, hayne and Dugan are all unavailable I'd pick him there, but I wouldn't have him on the wing in origin again unless there's about 5 wingers injured

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm probably Chris Lawrence's biggest fan but he is not playing well enough to play origin. Hodges would absolutely destroy him. He is obviously playing injured.

If fit Jennings should be first center picked. If Dugan or Stewart are fit then I'd pick one of them at fullback and hayne in the centers. Failing that josh Morris or hold Lyon and coopers families hostage until they agree to play.

Hutty1986

Immortal
^Yeah cos he's playing a different position obviously.

I'm glad you picked up on that, top effort. He wasn't getting involved enough from the wing but even before he switched he looked a far better winger this year and has looked even better in the 1 jumper. Either way, I'm a lot more confident in his ability to contribute to a NSW win

josh1111

Juniors
I know Dugan gets injured on a fairly consistent basis but his one game in SOO he played really well. QLD had all the ball thanks to some inept referring but he answer all challenges. If he is fit I have no problem with him being our number 1. And as a result Hanye would have to be moved to center or wing for the good of the team. And no Morris he has been ordinary for NSW some players just can't handle SOO.

Latest posts