What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

Gronk

Staff member
they are wasting no time getting him in front of a camera are they? how about putting brad arthur on!

p.s. is it part of cam smiths contract that he has to be on nrl on fox every three weeks?

Will be interesting to see what Sticky has to say about last night and further recruitment for 2013. Are the Super League rumours true ?

Suitman

Post Whore
Will be interesting to see what Sticky has to say about last night and further recruitment for 2013. Are the Super League rumours true ?

I bet that's a question now.
They couldn't have thought of that themselves.

Suity

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Good for you.
You still think the board are f**ked though, eh?

Suity
Yep, there are serious issues and factions amongst these board members.
Just like I said back in Oct 2010 that SK will not work out for us neither will this board.
They (including the remains of 3P) have to go.
I have grave concerns about their "looking good/smelling like roses" financial reports.
Things are not what they seem.
And there is no strong leadership to provide stability and direction.
This has to be fixed in the coming elections.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
He didn't claim Stuart is anywhere near the standard of Jack Gibson. He didn't say anything like it.

He said Stuart is the best since Gibson. If you had even half a brain you would know that he isn't even comparing Stuart to Gibson - he is comparing him to every coach we've had since Gibson was at the club.

Ricky Stuart could be half the coach Gibson is and still be "the best since Gibson" - it just means he (Stuart) is better than all the other coaches we've had since Gibson left the club.
Thank you to Roy's shadow.
I, ooops that half a brain or less stands corrected.
It's great hearing this from Spags mouth.
Just my opinion, I still think Roy was trying to place Ricky high up on to the Jack Gibson pedestal.

Gronk

Staff member
Gus thumbs-up sent Eels in pursuit of Sticky

BRAD WALTER
03 Aug, 2012 03:00 AM
Parramatta officials moved quickly to snare Ricky Stuart after Phil Gould recommended him as coach because they feared he was set to agree to a deal to take charge of Canberra next season. Despite being in charge of running the Penrith football club, Gould was the Eels' first choice to replace Stephen Kearney but the former Bulldogs, Panthers and Roosters mentor declined. Parramatta sources have confirmed the approach to Gould and revealed that he suggested they approach Stuart. While the odds of luring Gould away from his role as Penrith supremo were long, Parramatta officials believed he was the best mentor for their team and had heard he may be interested in coaching again. Stuart was next on the short list and sources have told Sin Bin they moved to sign him as they had heard he was close to agreeing to return to Canberra as coach.
Money matters
The amount of money that the Eels offered Stuart has upset some rival clubs as they believe their coach will expect to be paid more. ''Parramatta has just increased the pay packet of NRL coaches by $300,000,'' one leading official said. The chief executive of another club expressed a similar sentiment to Sin Bin this week. It is widely reported that the Eels are paying Stuart about $800,000 per year plus bonuses for making the finals and winning the premiership. The three-year deal is believed to be similar to the one Canterbury offered Des Hasler to lure him from Manly, and far bigger than what Parramatta were paying Kearney.

http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/me...in-pursuit-of-sticky/2617114.aspx?storypage=0

Gronk

Staff member
Eels, Panthers ponder club, Origin coaching rosters

PARRAMATTA chief executive Bob Bentley gave NSW cause for mild concern last night when he refused to give any guarantees over whether the club would support Ricky Stuart continuing as Blues coach next season, saying: "These are big decisions that need to be thought through."

Stuart has already held a debrief with the NSW Rugby League and is expected to outline his plans for combining the roles when he fronts the Eels board within the next fortnight. Until then, the NSW coaching job will remain in limbo.
It is understood at his meeting with the NSWRL, Stuart indicated he would like to retain a coaching role during the series, with assistants Trent Barrett and Jim Dymock to share the full-time duties. Stuart would in effect parachute in on the first day of camp and coach the Blues for the three games.
Barrett and Dymock, working with chief adviser Bob Fulton, would be responsible for everything else. Even with a limited role, it would still mean Stuart's coaching of the Eels would be interrupted over a six week-period.
Although that remains an issue for a club that will invest more than $2 million in Stuart over the next three years, it is not expected to stop Parramatta giving him the green light to combine the coaching roles.
"Ricky has to come along to the board and present his case," Bentley said. "He hasn't spoken to us about the actual model and how it would work. Until we know the exact detail of how it's going to work - what the time commitment is going to be, what the impact is going to be - all that sort of stuff will need to be understood before we can make a decision.
"These are big decisions that need to be thought through. There's emotion on both sides. We would like to see NSW win the Origin series as much as anybody. Until we have those discussions, it's not a fait accompli."
Bentley said the Eels board had tried to hold initial discussions yesterday but were unable to nail down enough directors. However, he is confident a meeting can be arranged within the next fortnight at which Stuart can outline his plans for combining roles.
While Parramatta has delayed its support for Stuart, so has Penrith in regards to Panthers general manager of football Phil Gould. Stuart suggested Gould - NSW's most successful coach - was the ideal man to replace him if the Eels board stood in his way.
Gould declined to comment yesterday on whether he would be interested in an Origin return but Penrith Panthers chairman Don Feltis left the door ajar last night when he told The Australian the club would be happy to consider any proposal put to it over Gould's potential return to Origin.
"We would have to look at the situation if it develops that way," Feltis said. "I would have to have a yarn to Phil. It would be a matter for the board to have a look at and weigh up the pros and cons. We would look at any proposition that was put in front of us about Gus coaching State of Origin."
And NSW captain Paul Gallen has become the latest player to call for stand-alone Origin games, pointing out the interstate series is becoming bigger and faster each year. The ARL Commission has already announced it will retain Wednesday night Origin next season but Gallen has pushed it to consider stand-alone matches after that. "I think it deserves its own week," Gallen said.
"I think the players deserve the opportunities as well to have that rest. We have some players who have come out of Origin and really struggled.
"You're never going to please everyone but I think it's best for the players to play Origin and not have to back up in three, four or five days. It's just physically too hard and too draining."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...coaching-rosters/story-fnca0von-1226441773824

eel01s

Bench
Surely the Eels and Stuart came to an agreement on this before he signed on as coach?

I refuse to believe that any Board could be stupid enough to sign a coach on huge money and THEN consider allowing to him to take on another coaching role.

I have no problem if the Eels allow Stuart to coach origin (only for 2013 though) IF, and it is a big if, they built clauses into his contract reducing his pay for the time he is not there, and possibly bonuses for the amount of Blues players he signs for the Eels.

Gronk

Staff member
Surely the Eels and Stuart came to an agreement on this before he signed on as coach?

I refuse to believe that any Board could be stupid enough to sign a coach on huge money and THEN consider allowing to him to take on another coaching role.

I have no problem if the Eels allow Stuart to coach origin (only for 2013 though) IF, and it is a big if, they built clauses into his contract reducing his pay for the time he is not there, and possibly bonuses for the amount of Blues players he signs for the Eels.

My view is that the pros outweigh the cons. It will help our roster having the origin coach and Brad Arthur has the angry face to look after the troops in his absence.

hindy111

Post Whore
Personality wise im not a fan of Ricky-He seem boring too serious and no sense of humour.I like Anderson-Type of guy you could have a beer with i think.
Thou i do think ricky has excellent work ethics and will take the club forward so im happy to have him here

oldmancraigy

Coach
My view is that the pros outweigh the cons. It will help our roster having the origin coach and Brad Arthur has the angry face to look after the troops in his absence.

From a NSW fans perspective, I'd much prefer Des Hasler get the gig next year.

Why settle for Ricky coaching NSW when there are better coaches out there??

spartan2153

Juniors
From a NSW fans perspective, I'd much prefer Des Hasler get the gig next year.

Why settle for Ricky coaching NSW when there are better coaches out there??

At the end of the day he did sign a 2 year contract with nsw. Its over now & he has a new contract with us

So if it is gonna be a dual role you might as well sign the best in the business

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
At the end of the day he did sign a 2 year contract with nsw. Its over now & he has a new contract with us

So if it is gonna be a dual role you might as well sign the best in the business

Exactly!

Disclaimer: I'm not a big Ricky fan. I don't think he should've ever been given the NSW job. I also wonder if there are better candidates that we could've signed for our club coach?
I DO think we would've won one of the last 2 Origin series if Ricky wasn't the coach. I think a better coach would've picked Hayne at FB and built the team around him. It's not hard to see that he's our best origin level player and needs to be in a position where he can have the most influence on the result!

eel01s

Bench
Out of interest, does anyone think the Dogs would allow Hasler to coach NSW???

I don't think so.

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA players will continue to train through the finals because incoming Eels coach Ricky Stuart is keen to get a preliminary gauge on their fitness and skill levels ahead of what promises to be a gruelling pre-season.

Originally expected to report for duty in November, Stuart last night confirmed he would begin two months early and keep the underperforming Eels at work until grand final week.
"I just want to do a bit of testing to see where they are at physically," Stuart said. "They will be training as well.
"Aside from that, I don't want to go into too much detail as we're still drawing up the schedule."
Stuart has attended the two Eels games since his appointment and will only miss Sunday's fixture at Skilled Park because of a prior commitment to Channel 9's Footy Show.
"I'll obviously watch that game (on TV) and then plan to be at the next two matches (against Souths and St George Illawarra)," he said.
One player who is likely to be spared is back-rower Ben Smith, who was this week ruled out for the season so that he can have shoulder surgery.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/confidential-eels-face-overtime/story-fndujljl-1226452128658