What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

strider

Post Whore
that reminds me - i liked ricky's answer when asked whether he's worried about coaches being sacked/"retired" at parra .... he said, no cos I back myself :thumn

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I haven't watched the press comference yet but if Roy implied/said this "declaring him the best signing since Jack Gibson. "I think it's huge," chairman Roy Spagnolo said. "It's probably the best signing we've had, probably since Gibson." then Roy please immediately give yourself 20 uppercuts to your chin.:crazy::crazy:
Everyone is entiltled to their opinions but making such a "HUGE" claim like this is madness. Ricky Stuart is nowhere near the standards Jack Gibson set.

He didn't claim Stuart is anywhere near the standard of Jack Gibson. He didn't say anything like it.

He said Stuart is the best since Gibson. If you had even half a brain you would know that he isn't even comparing Stuart to Gibson - he is comparing him to every coach we've had since Gibson was at the club.

Ricky Stuart could be half the coach Gibson is and still be "the best since Gibson" - it just means he (Stuart) is better than all the other coaches we've had since Gibson left the club.

natheel

Coach
it is weird seeing Stuart in Eels colours. I hated him at the Roosters (only coz i hate Roosters) but never did i ever think Ricky Stuart would coach Parramatta Eels.

One answer i liked was when a reporter asked "The club has gone through 5 coaches does that concern you?"

Ricky Replied "No"

Reporter again: "Why?"

Ricky "Because i back myself"

i think he knows he can get success and i think next year we will see a very committed team on the field and i think Stuart will piss some players off if they don't perform.

1. Poore will be re-signed on a minimum contract
2. Hayne will be re-signed
3. Hayne will be captain

they're 3 things that will happen prior to round 1 2013 under Stuart

natheel

Coach
another thing. i think Stuart (going off his attitude in the media conference) i think he will be our next 'long term' coach since Smith.

I honestly believe he is what we need in a coach and i like his candidness in the fact it will take time. He will give it to the media and won't give a shit. He's matured as a coach i feel since Cronulla. His days at Cronulla and Roosters also Blues give him the experience in rebuilding a team. He's learnt the hard way at Sharks and transferred that to Blues and has done a very good job over the last 2 years. I only hope he can do that week in and out for our club.

Welcome to Parramatta Ricky

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Welcome to Parra Ricky!

Hope you can bring some success. You've got your work cut out taking over the absolute mess we find ourselves in.

Good luck and all the best.

drago brelli

Bench
Where does Parra get all this money from? Stuart will be on $800 000 and that's just the start. Parra are still paying Daniel Anderson, Osborne and they will be paying Kearney. Pressure's on Ricky!

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Where does Parra get all this money from? Stuart will be on $800 000 and that's just the start. Parra are still paying Daniel Anderson, Osborne and they will be paying Kearney. Pressure's on Ricky!

The pokies mate. Sure they might ruin lives but they pay our bills.

Tooooks

Bench
I would like to apologies about what i have saidabout stuart. My facts are wrong & i am SORRY.

He has made the semis once in the last 6 years of his coaching not 5 like i thought.

Sorry for geting that wrong

You're quite right, but let's look at those years in a bit more detail (I have posted similar in another thread):

2005 - After losing Fittler, Hodges, and a few other first graders, they finished 9th (2 points out of the 8). How many teams remain successful after successive grand finals?

2006 - 14th and sacked before the end of season. This, I cannot explain.

2007 - 1st year at Cronulla, finished 2 points out of the 8 (an improvement on the previous year)

2008 - 3rd place

2009 and 2010: Explain which of these were Ricky's fault?
- Severe financial trouble at the club
- Group sex allegations from 2002 came to light
- Reni Maitua sacked after positive drug test
- Gallen stepped down from captaincy after (alleged) racial abuse
- Gallen caught for urinating in public
- Director of the club resigned (due to group sex scandal)
- LG (major sponsor) did not renew beyond 2010
- CEO Tony Zappia forced to quit (assaulting an employee, fraud etc)
- The new CEO quit after a few months

If you think none of the above affects the morale of the players and the club as a whole, you're kidding.

I'm not a Ricky Stuart fanboy. Personally, I think he's a vile little man, and I'm not convinced he's the coach to turn us around, but in my opinion, the early signs are encouraging and there's already talk of him looking to sign players like Greg Bird, James Tamou, Todd Carney for 2014.

Instead of death riding the bloke before he's even started, let's give him a fair go and a bit of support. We all want success for the club, and whether you like the man or not, we all hope Ricky succeeds.

lingard

Coach
Kearney backed himself to.

Yes, that`s true. He wasn`t as assertive about, but he did back himself. Unfortunately, (if all this talk about the programs and stuctures and junior development he implimented, is true), he only got it half right. 10 wins from 41 starts is, unfortunately, a fail.

bartman

Immortal
i think he knows he can get success and i think next year we will see a very committed team on the field and i think Stuart will piss some players off if they don't perform.

1. Poore will be re-signed on a minimum contract
2. Hayne will be re-signed
3. Hayne will be captain

they're 3 things that will happen prior to round 1 2013 under Stuart
I think tying up Fuifui and Poore even on one year contracts is now a must. There might not be too many other quality props on the market (and we've already got juniors coming through).

I think re-signing Hayne (before it all becomes a bidding circus) should be a priority - of course it's up to Hayne himself whether his next commitment will be with Parra, with Rugby league, or elsewhere. We can but offer...

As for the captaincy - I'm not sure it's so important that Hayne gets the c? RIcky will need to get to know the playing group first, and most coaches prefer a small senior leadership group who act as joint captains/leaders through the week (of which Hayne would be one). But imo we don't want our on-field playmakers having to worry themselves about other things during the 80mins, and that's why senior players with basic on field responsibilities who stay on for the majority of the game (like Ben Smith, Willie Tonga or even Keating) might make good official captains?

Tony Bongo

Bench
Yes, that`s true. He wasn`t as assertive about, but he did back himself. Unfortunately, (if all this talk about the programs and stuctures and junior development he implimented, is true), he only got it half right. 10 wins from 41 starts is, unfortunately, a fail.

The point I was making is that it doesn't matter how much he backs himself. If the fans players or more importantly the board decide not to he will suffer the same fate as Ando and SK. Until we have a board that shows real leadership, stands by their decisions and puts long term success over short term political gain things could very well remain the same. I hope that Ricky is the man to bring us success but I'm not doing cartwheels until he does and I'm not falling for the line that many on our board want to support any long term plans for our club because they have proven they don't have the metal to do it.
Two years ago we had a new coach that they tried to convince us was the right man for the future direction of our club. We were told to be patient because we are 'rebuilding'. Two years later and it is deja vo. Don't expect too much next year because we are 'rebuilding'. Well if we only have foundations and a basic frame up but are not to the lock up stage in 2 years time there's a pretty good chance that we will be up for yet another payout.

lingard

Coach
The point I was making is that it doesn't matter how much he backs himself. If the fans players or more importantly the board decide not to he will suffer the same fate as Ando and SK. Until we have a board that shows real leadership, stands by their decisions and puts long term success over short term political gain things could very well remain the same. I hope that Ricky is the man to bring us success but I'm not doing cartwheels until he does and I'm not falling for the line that many on our board want to support any long term plans for our club because they have proven they don't have the metal to do it.
Two years ago we had a new coach that they tried to convince us was the right man for the future direction of our club. We were told to be patient because we are 'rebuilding'. Two years later and it is deja vo. Don't expect too much next year because we are 'rebuilding'. Well if we only have foundations and a basic frame up but are not to the lock up stage in 2 years time there's a pretty good chance that we will be up for yet another payout.

I think you`ll find that if Stuart gets reasonable results on the field, he`ll still be here in 3 years time. Firstly, I think it is absolutely imperative that an NRL coach has a certain level of on-field success while they are re-building a club. Not afterwards. It has to be a two-pronged attack; rebuild AND onfield success. Secondly, where is the evidence that Steven Kearney actually did anything much off the field? I`m starting to think it might be just talk.

what is this shit we are still paying daniel anderson? he would have been paid out when we hired kearney

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
Just got back from the snow and haven't been able to post. In my view under the current circumstances it was the only sensible option. Stuart was not my first choice but when I saw the media conference and went to 9 min 30 and Weidler asked Spagnolo the vindictive and stupid question about whether he would leave Ricky alone to coach I knew then that Stuart was the right man. He interjected immediately and showed great leadership. Ricky showed he is the man and the best coach to get us out of the wilderness. If he shows immediate improvement I can see him being here for longer than his initial 3 years.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Ricky-Stuart-appointed-Pirtek-Parramatta-Eels-coach/60240

Just got back from the snow and haven't been able to post. In my view under the current circumstances it was the only sensible option. Stuart was not my first choice but when I saw the media conference and went to 9 min 30 and Weidler asked Spagnolo the vindictive and stupid question about whether he would leave Ricky alone to coach I knew then that Stuart was the right man. He interjected immediately and showed great leadership. Ricky showed he is the man and the best coach to get us out of the wilderness. If he shows immediate improvement I can see him being here for longer than his initial 3 years.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Ricky-Stuart-appointed-Pirtek-Parramatta-Eels-coach/60240

i was impressed that only a few days after he was hired the word got out that he was looking to hire ronnie palmer
(one of the best trainers in the business) and he was also chasing shane richardson as ceo
he is not only looking at plugging the gaps in the team but the club as well

Last edited: