What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart to Canberra - Done Deal.

Frailty

First Grade
Maybe but these were issues prior to Sticky arriving. He came to a club in a deep hole from the Kearney era. The issue to me is leaving the job only partially done. There is a poor culture within the Eels and requires a strong willed coach willing to deal with the rubbish long term. Sticky couldnt despite his tough words. A rookie coach will be eaten alive imo.

And what about his performance at the Roosters? Or at the Sharks.. It's no surprise that Flanno took over the Sharks performance and recruitment sky-rocketed over Stuart's performances.

broncos2010

Juniors
Maybe but these were issues prior to Sticky arriving. He came to a club in a deep hole from the Kearney era. The issue to me is leaving the job only partially done. There is a poor culture within the Eels and requires a strong willed coach willing to deal with the rubbish long term. Sticky couldnt despite his tough words. A rookie coach will be eaten alive imo.

I just think he took the Eels job with false hope, now he realised how hard the actual job is with the roster he has it will be a long term fix and I don't think he wants to be in for the ride especially with the board behind him keeps looking over his back.

At the raiders its all set for him and they have some very nice cap space left after dugan and fergo are gone and like I said a guy like Milford can win you the match by himself,if not already he will be one of the top 5-6 players in the NRL by next year.

roboshark

Coach
He just leaves clubs in tatters and then f**ks off. What about rhebayers he told at start of year they aren't wanted.

He is a self absorbed prick who will destroy Canberra

Big Pete

Referee
Corey Norman is a good signing if he plays in the halves.

Not for 2014, if ever.

Norman has potential but lacks the ingenuity all great halves have and tends to fade in and out of games. If he had have transferred to a club like Melbourne, Canterbury or Souths I would have liked his chances of improving but the culture at Parramatta doesn't do him any favours.

Despite my opinion of him as a player I wish him and Parra well. He seems like a good kid and there is obviously a lot of upside there, he just needs to work extremely hard to make the most of it. Otherwise, Parramatta will just have another Chris Sandow & Ben Roberts on their hands.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I've written my thoughts on Ricky in several other threads regarding him. Everyone can see that I think he is a terrible coach and manager of Men.

However, I don't think he should be deregistered. What should happen is that the people in charge of the clubs who hire him should be sacked. Those that brought him into the fold at Parramatta should fall on their swords and fans of the Raiders should rally against the board and admin there who have brought him to the club and have them removed.

Anyone who would bring this fraud into a footy club has seriously lost touch with all reality and is not fit to run a footy club at all.

Ricky's history is littered with failure and even a tiny bit of due dilligence carried out before employing him would uncover this. Once again, this Canberra deal smacks of the "jobs for the boys" mentality that permeates the fabric of Rugby League in Australia and considering that Rugby League considers itself a professional sport and a billion dollar industry, these sorts of handshake deals need to be eliminated before anyone else outside of the sport will take the sport seriously.

As a Dragon fan, I can relate so much to this. It makes me sick.

I just think he took the Eels job with false hope, now he realised how hard the actual job is with the roster he has it will be a long term fix and I don't think he wants to be in for the ride especially with the board behind him keeps looking over his back.

At the raiders its all set for him and they have some very nice cap space left after dugan and fergo are gone and like I said a guy like Milford can win you the match by himself,if not already he will be one of the top 5-6 players in the NRL by next year.

Thats assuming that Milford stays. You'd also have to think that Papalli would be looking at his contract very closely considering what Ricky said about him when he reneged on his Parra deal earlier this season.

As it stands, the Raiders have a decent roster and a fantastic under 20's squad that should produce some stars in the near future but you have to wonder how many players will look at what Ricky said and did at Parramatta and wonder if that is the sort of culture they want to be involved in.

As I've said previously, if I was a young halfback coming through the ranks at a club and Ricky signed on as head coach, I would be straight out the door. His record with half backs is HORRIBLE.

betcats

Referee
Its all business. He had a get out clause due to the ridiculously dysfunctional and inept board at Parramatta. (But is the Raiders much better?)

Until they get that boardroom sorted they will NEVER have stability. This same club punted Anderson after getting them to a GF and tore up Kearney's contract. Cuts both ways.

His reputation is certainly smeared but I am sure he will dry his tears on the $100 notes spilling out of his pocket.

I think the board excuse is a bit overrated, I mean the Manly board is as dysfunctional as they come.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Parra fans should be jumping with joy that the merkin is gone. Sure, he f**ked your club in the short term but with him out of the picture at least they have a chance to rebuild

Canberra on the other hand have shot themselves in the foot. After all the dramas of the last few months, they go and put Ricky in the coaches chair lol. Idiots

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
There's far more qualiy in this thread than Ricksters coaching.

I get the feeling it will click down here for him though.

The Raiders need someone to yell at them and Ricky is the best yeller in RL history (Tooves is making a name for himself).

I predict Rickster could yell Canberra to an improvement on the field, but the club is still nepotism personified.

Peter Doust must be thanking God that Parra and Canberra are absolute backward wrecks of clubs. We are heading down the same path, but might as well have made the 8 for all the lack of spotlight on us.

sharko

Juniors
He will have the makings a good squad for next season, their forward pack can be bolstered by another front rower and a hooker, get rid of White and Dane Tilse. Their back row is quite powerful with Papali, Thompson and Edwards and LearoyLahrs when he is fit.
If they can hang onto Milford they have Reece Robinson, Edrick Lee and Jack Wighton etc
There is still some genuine quality there and with the pack dominating those backs can score a lot of tries.
However he did dismember the Sharks and run and has now done the same with the Eels, I think Ricky Stuart looks after himself at the end of the day.

Frailty

First Grade
He will have the makings a good squad for next season, their forward pack can be bolstered by another front rower and a hooker, get rid of White and Dane Tilse. Their back row is quite powerful with Papali, Thompson and Edwards and LearoyLahrs when he is fit.
If they can hang onto Milford they have Reece Robinson, Edrick Lee and Jack Wighton etc
There is still some genuine quality there and with the pack dominating those backs can score a lot of tries.
However he did dismember the Sharks and run and has now done the same with the Eels, I think Ricky Stuart looks after himself at the end of the day.

Isn't Joel Thompson leaving?

It doesn't matter what exciting backs he has, he can not coach an attacking team at all.

He will destroy Canberra. If Canberra fans think its bad now, just wait until 2 years (if he lasts that long)...

Lucas-Con

Juniors
He's lowly merkin these guys need to learn something a contract is a contract you break it you shouldn't be allowed to coach or play for another club until that contract has run out.

firechild

First Grade
Side note: I know this is a little hypocritical of me to be pissed off considering Hasler left mid contract, but at least he left the club when they we at the top and didn't completely disassemble the team.

Not through lack of trying.

On Ricky, I can't stand the bloke and I can't stand Parra but how the bloke could ever be considered a good signing for any club after his trail of destruction is beyond me. No doubt a few players needed a tap on the shoulder but the way he went about it was appalling. He wrote the season off before it began to take pressure off himself (same as what he did with NSW) then went about blaming everyone but himself for the lack of effort and results.

While this is probably a good thing for Parra, their fans can certainly feel hard done by in the way the whole saga has played out.

Ricky is loyal to no one but himself. He is a germ and I would be filthy if my club ever had anything to do with him. His name was being thrown around before Toovey took over and I was dreading the possibility of him being our coach but thankfully he went elsewhere to destroy a club.