What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart to Canberra - Done Deal.

firechild

First Grade
I think the board excuse is a bit overrated, I mean the Manly board is as dysfunctional as they come.

Is it really or is that just what News Ltd would have you believe (Zorba loves using his media colleagues to try to sway the board)? I'm not saying they aren't dysfunctional but they seem capable of getting things done. I think one of the keys that differentiates Manly from clubs like Parra and Canberra (among others) is that the board are willing to leave the operations to the coaching staff. The players seem largely dissociated from the board so are almost completely unaffected by whatever in-fighting is going on.

Diesel

Referee
He will have the makings a good squad for next season, their forward pack can be bolstered by another front rower and a hooker, get rid of White and Dane Tilse. Their back row is quite powerful with Papali, Thompson and Edwards and LearoyLahrs when he is fit.
If they can hang onto Milford they have Reece Robinson, Edrick Lee and Jack Wighton etc
There is still some genuine quality there and with the pack dominating those backs can score a lot of tries.
However he did dismember the Sharks and run and has now done the same with the Eels, I think Ricky Stuart looks after himself at the end of the day.

No excuses next year for Ricky if they can't make the top 6-8

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I think the board excuse is a bit overrated, I mean the Manly board is as dysfunctional as they come.

2 premierships in 5 years and in the top 4 again this season. Can't be too bad I'd imagine.

Plus the Manly club seem to have an excellent culture of keeping the boardroom rumblings well and truly isolated from the playing group.

I bet Parra would killl for a "dysfunctional" board that has presided over the sucess of Manly's in the past decade.

That Parramatta board seem to be deeply involved in the playing group and the merry-go-round of coaches has been driven by the board.

Stuart may not be the best coach in the world, but I do not blame him one bit for getting the hell out of that rabble of a club.

Raider_69

Post Whore
We will see. But there will be a lot of red faces IF he does so well. Given Canberras fantastic junior system, I think you are mad to write him off.

Diesel

Referee
I hope Canberra do well as they haven't been able to reach the heights that they should've over the last 15 years however from what I have read, Stuart is too intense for week to week NRL. One of two things will happen to the culture in Canberra, it'll change for the better or remain a boys club

Valheru

Coach
So Ricky tells half the team they are not in his plans for next year and then abandons ship.

That’s weak.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The problem is there isn't a lot raiders fans can do about the board. Members don't have voting rights or anything

betcats

Referee
2 premierships in 5 years and in the top 4 again this season. Can't be too bad I'd imagine.

Plus the Manly club seem to have an excellent culture of keeping the boardroom rumblings well and truly isolated from the playing group.

I bet Parra would killl for a "dysfunctional" board that has presided over the sucess of Manly's in the past decade.

That Parramatta board seem to be deeply involved in the playing group and the merry-go-round of coaches has been driven by the board.

Stuart may not be the best coach in the world, but I do not blame him one bit for getting the hell out of that rabble of a club.

My point is you are succesful despite having a headcase board. You had two board members in court yesterday, one seeking an avo against the other, that seems pretty disfunctional to me.

voltron

Juniors
i think deregister is a bit far
he hasnt done anything illegal, he hasnt brought the game into disrepute
he has brought himself into disrepute (did have much of one before?)

leaving a basket case like parra, only seems smart
yes he wanted to do a lot there, but he had brought everyone offside
players, fans, the board (some of it, lol)
If he cant deliver next year with the raiders, then he is doing his chances of coaching ever again irreparable harm.
so why does everyone care so much, he's put all his eggs into one basket, if he falls over he's gone.

i can understand eels fans being dirty,
but whatever, the club will be in better shape at the start of next year than it was at the start of this year
(as long as peats goes to parra, man does that club need a hooker so badly)

but what is everyone else bleating on about.
just people having a change to roll out their ricky stuart hate

Nice Beaver

First Grade
My point is you are succesful despite having a headcase board. You had two board members in court yesterday, one seeking an avo against the other, that seems pretty disfunctional to me.

And my point is that the Pawwamatta board is not only dysfunctional, but completely f*cking incompetent.

The culture of that club is quite simply deplorable. Doesn't seem to matter who they wheel into the boardroom - mediocrity soon follows.

So I do agree I guess in a way, its not just down to the board, its the entire culture of the club.

But tell me how its not the board's fault that they are in the position they are in?

Springs

First Grade
Made the finals once in his last seven years. Lost the World Cup and two Origin series. I didn't know why the hell Parramatta wanted him in the first place, but then for Canberra to actively pursue the wooden spoon coach?

Honestly, he gave up on Parramatta after ten rounds, publicly sacked and embarrassed half the squad while pissing off the other half, blamed the roster for any poor performance and declared that there will be many floggings this year to cover his ass if they did happen. What squad would want to play for him if he treats them like that? He's a pigheaded, egotistical dickhead and I can't wait for the day he's out of the NRL for good and we don't have to listen to his voice anymore.

Just to mention, he gave up on us after three bad losses. Aside from that we won against the Warriors, Sharks and Bulldogs and put in good performances against the Bulldogs, Titans and Cowboys. Even though we have a poor roster we were still performing ok. But instead of trying to keep up those performances he gave up on the team and the fans and gave us 16 weeks of bullshit. We might have finished around 11th-13th which with our roster would be quite a good result.

f**k off Ricky. Thanks for nothing.

Timbo

Staff member
Not completely unhappy because I felt we needed a hard nosed bastard disciplinarian to sort out the issues we have. That's Stuart and I think he'll do that job.

I wanted someone who's had a bit more success though. So I guess we'll see.