What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rising Rabbitohs star Kirisome Auva'a in court after bashing a woman after a wedding

insert.pause

First Grade
The way it is being handled now is the lesser of two evils, what Stewart went through and the way the NRL completely prejudged him, which could have prejudiced his case, if it wasn't, was disgraceful and I would trade due process over expediency any day, the whingers are just going to have to wait for their pound of flesh.

I'm happy with the way this has been handled on the part of the offender to this point in time. It's ok to say that he admitted guilt several months ago, however you need to go through the court process to see exactly what he is guilty of. The judicial system is set up to punish these sorts of offences and you need to let them go through due process first. Now that the dust has settled and the NRL has all of the facts in front of them, they can act accordingly.

I know that a lot of you guys are getting your panties in a bunch because the bloke had a good year and won a title, however that is just the luck of the draw. If he'd have stayed at the Sharks and won nothing this year, I'm sure you all wouldn't have been anywhere near as upset.

What he has done during the court process is inconsequential in the scheme of things. It's not his, Souths or the NRL's fault that the judicial system takes so long to decide a case. It would be better if this whole process could be over in a few weeks instead of a few months, but unfortunately, this is the world we live in.

Now that the results are determined, he needs to have the book thrown at him but until he'd had his day in court, the NRL and Souths were right to sit on their hands.

I'm happy now for Souths to punt the bloke and the NRL to stand him down and I've said since day one that I didn't want him at my club if he were found guilty.

some11

Referee
I know that a lot of you guys are getting your panties in a bunch because the bloke had a good year and won a title, however that is just the luck of the draw. If he'd have stayed at the Sharks and won nothing this year, I'm sure you all wouldn't have been anywhere near as upset.

Well apparently he got off because he "has a promising future".

He wouldn't have gotten off if he played for the Sharks.

nrlnrl

First Grade
He was with Melbourne before Souths & only played for Cronulla in NSW Cup as that team was a combination of Storm & Sharks players.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The way it is being handled now is the lesser of two evils, what Stewart went through and the way the NRL completely prejudged him, which could have prejudiced his case, if it wasn't, was disgraceful and I would trade due process over expediency any day, the whingers are just going to have to wait for their pound of flesh.

David Smith de-registered Blake Ferguson the moment he was charged last year, long before any legal proceedings. What would you think if an entire team or several members of one team pleaded guilty to the gang rape of a woman, however the court system delayed sentencing and that team won the comp. Do you honestly believe the NRL would allow them to play on? There is no way on earth. The NRL hoped this would not get any air play due to his low profile. They knew long ago he pleaded guilty to assaulting this woman. It is disgraceful he was allowed to play on.

insert.pause

First Grade
David Smith de-registered Blake Ferguson the moment he was charged last year, long before any legal proceedings. What would you think if an entire team or several members of one team pleaded guilty to the gang rape of a woman, however the court system delayed sentencing and that team won the comp. Do you honestly believe the NRL would allow them to play on? There is no way on earth. The NRL hoped this would not get any air play due to his low profile. They knew long ago he pleaded guilty to assaulting this woman. It is disgraceful he was allowed to play on.

Ferguson wasn't de-registered by the NRL and wasn't sanctioned for the indecent assault while he was a registered player, the Raiders sacked him for separate incidents and the NRL refused to register a contract for him with another club since then because of the outcome of his court case for indecent assault. The only NRL penalty he got as a registered player was a four-week suspension for repeated alcohol-related incidents and ordered him to undertake counselling. Had he not been sacked by the raiders for separate code of conduct breaches he would only have faced a penalty for the indecent assault after the court proceedings had concluded, entirely consistent with the NRL's handling of the Auvv'a case.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
Not that he's going to because he was hit with a feather duster. But what if he appealed? Then the proceedings would still be going and he couldn't be punished.

This clown plead guilty in May, should have received sanction in May.

insert.pause

First Grade
Not that he's going to because he was hit with a feather duster. But what if he appealed? Then the proceedings would still be going and he couldn't be punished.

So you expect the NRL to determine a penalty without the full details of the crime he pleaded guilty to? Those details were only released by the victorian court after sentencing and the proceedings had actually concluded. The NRL now can make a determination based on the totality of the case.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

He pleaded guilty and did not receive a conviction, not much chance of appealing. However I get your point, what if the proscution appealed which they should, then he could be allowed to play on. The NRL should change their rules, to allow an admitted woman basher to play on is a joke.

Eion

First Grade
So you expect the NRL to determine a penalty without the full details of the crime he pleaded guilty to? Those details were only released by the victorian court after sentencing and the proceedings had actually concluded. The NRL now can make a determination based on the totality of the case.

Yes. I expect an admitted woman basher to receive sanction from the nrl when he admits to bashing a woman.

insert.pause

First Grade
Yes. I expect an admitted woman basher to receive sanction from the nrl when he admits to bashing a woman.

But without all the details of the case the NRL could end up giving him a penalty that is either too lenient or too harsh, better that they wait and get it right.

Eion

First Grade
But without all the details of the case the NRL could end up giving him a penalty that is either too lenient or too harsh, better that they wait and get it right.

Nope. Not better. They should have sidelined him until the sentencing. Betcha it would have been a quicker turnaround then. The nrl could always extend their penalty after every nuance of his despicable crime became known at sentencing.

Danish

Referee

The NRL isn't a court of law. It diesbt have double jeopardy. They could have suspended him 12 months based on a guilty plea of assaulting a woman, then decided to up the ban if further details came out afterwards.

There are literally no mitigating circumstances I'll accept to see a player guilty of domestic violence suspended for any less than a year

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm happy now for Souths to punt the bloke and the NRL to stand him down and I've said since day one that I didn't want him at my club if he were found guilty.

Ahh he had already pleaded guilty in may...you make no sense

Basically what you are saying is:

'Theres no way we would have won a comp with reddy or Goodwin at center so I'm happy that this woman beating piece of shit was wearing my teams jersey along with his mates Greg and Ben to win us a comp'

insert.pause

First Grade
The NRL isn't a court of law. It diesbt have double jeopardy. They could have suspended him 12 months based on a guilty plea of assaulting a woman, then decided to up the ban if further details came out afterwards.

There are literally no mitigating circumstances I'll accept to see a player guilty of domestic violence suspended for any less than a year

They can wait until the court proceedings are concluded and still suspend him for a year, either way hes still getting sanctioned. Why the argument for expediency now and not 6 months ago when he made the plea? The NRL is limited by the same judicial timetable as everyone else.

elbusto

Coach
It is good to see some balanced opinions here in response to the hysterical lynch mob who seem to have no concept of the rule of law, natural justice or any thing else for that matter.

Latest posts