What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL Facts and Figures: 2006 TV Ratings

Lantana

Juniors
Rugby League continues to rate as one of the premier sports on Australian Television, with the code increasing viewing figures in all the key performance indicators.

On Free to Air Television Friday Night Football increased by 3% in 2006 to bring its average up to 600,000 viewers across Sydney and Brisbane, whilst Sunday football rose by 7% to average 517,000 across Sydney and Brisbane. Viewing figures for regional NSW and Queensland also enjoyed significant increases throughout the regular season on the WIN and NBN networks.

In Sydney, the game surpassed both the World Cup and Commonwealth Games in terms of the most program to date, and has filled two of the top five most watched events in the city, whilst in Brisbane, league holds the top three.

On Pay TV Rugby League continued to be the most watched program on the available networks in 2006, taking out six of the top seven spots in the highest rating programs. The true dominance of the code on Pay TV is only heightened by Rugby League taking out 78 of the top 100 shows for the entire year so far.

The most watched game on Fox Sports was Melbourne Storm v Sydney Roosters at Olympic Park in Round 13. More than 3.6 million individual viewers watched matches on the medium, with each watching an average of 19 live games a year.

http://www.arldevelopment.com.au/

legend

Coach
Excellent results. Certainly an A+ result for league in terms of tv numbers.

Can you provide a link please Lantana?

Cheers

t-ba

Post Whore
The most watched game on Fox Sports was Melbourne Storm v Sydney Roosters at Olympic Park in Round 13. More than 3.6 million individual viewers watched matches on the medium, with each watching an average of 19 live games a year.

That's awesome! 3.6 million Unique viewers on Cable...I'd love to see what the Flogball got.

Probably would have Legend. We were only a tick over 200k behind Australia-wide. And that's with the AFL having Sydney in the GF which probably added something like 600,000 viewers for their GF.

Hopefully there'll be no Sydney in their GF this year and we'll give them a pizzling Australia-wide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You also have to ask, why is there no League on Ch9 WA?

This is interesting: "the most watched game on Fox Sports was Melbourne Storm v Sydney Roosters at Olympic Park in Round 13." Maybe Fitzgerald could explain to us again why RL in Victoria is a waste of time?

Ice777

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Probably would have Legend. We were only a tick over 200k behind Australia-wide. And that's with the AFL having Sydney in the GF which probably added something like 600,000 viewers for their GF.

Hopefully there'll be no Sydney in their GF this year and we'll give them a pizzling Australia-wide.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/002930.html

It was alot more than 200k Australia wide. You have a point when you say Sydney playing in the GF would've boosted the numbers, but there was also two non Victorian sides in the AFL GF so i dare say that may have affected figures here and brought them down somewhat.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen if again 2 non Victorian clubs compete in the AFL GF again this year which is a big chance of happening and say if Brisbane and Melbourne contest the NRL GF how it will affect numbers. While the numbers in Melb and Bris would be up and possibly down in Sydney, the AFL figures would again be up in the 2 competeing teams states and probabaly down in Melbourne. That's the thing with sports tv ratings, there's alot of variables depending on if it's two local sides or 2 interstate sides, even one of each. It can make a big difference either way.

In saying that it's great to see the figures are up on last year. They'd be even higher if they showed certain games in Melbourne at a decent hour. While they wouldn't be winning every timeslot they compete in, i can gaurantee it'd rate higher than some of the sh*t 5th run movies they subject us to down here. All i can say is thank christ for Foxtel or we'd be farked down here in regards to our coverage of league.

t-ba

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
http://blogs.smh.com.au/entertainment/archives/the_tribal_mind/002930.html

It was alot more than 200k Australia wide. You have a point when you say Sydney playing in the GF would've boosted the numbers, but there was also two non Victorian sides in the AFL GF so i dare say that may have affected figures here and brought them down somewhat.

What about Regional TAM?

OZTAM is a terrible basis btw. NSW has two TV markets that are bigger than the Adelaide Market in TAM that aren't included in those figures...*Edit* And the AFL still gits the sh*t kicked out in the South NSW market. So much for that "Barassi Line" BS.

Ice777

Bench
t-ba said:
What about Regional TAM?

OZTAM is a terrible basis btw. NSW has two TV markets that are bigger than the Adelaide Market in TAM that aren't included in those figures...*Edit* And the AFL still gits the sh*t kicked out in the South NSW market. So much for that "Barassi Line" BS.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, i'm only going by the figures provided from 2 sources that i found. Feel free to use any other ratings rather than OZTAM and post your results here because it might give a clearer indication if there's any. Like i said i'm only going of figures that have been released. Do they have people meters in regional areas? That was a serious question BTW as i have no clue. If they do i just thought they might be incorporated together. But if they don't have them then it'd be purely guessing the numbers.

What's the "Barassi Line?"

Perth Red

Post Whore
TV viewing figures are very iffy if you ask me. has anyone ever been surveyed to find out what you watch? Unless there is direct feedback from your TV the figures are guestimates based on small sample sizes.

t-ba

Post Whore
Perth Red said:
TV viewing figures are very iffy if you ask me. has anyone ever been surveyed to find out what you watch? Unless there is direct feedback from your TV the figures are guestimates based on small sample sizes.

Very true. But it's all we've got, and marketers and advertising executives show them respect.

seajay23

Juniors
Geez Ice 777 you must be a youngster; the 'Barrasi Line' was an imaginary line through southern NSW roughly along the Riverina and witha bump up to Lake Cargellico and across to Broken Hill with AFL (or VFL in those days) dominating South of the line and League dominating to the North. I think Wagga was on the border. Seems to be a lot of AFL north of the line (i was disgusted to see an AFL team in Mudgee) these days, nothing a few hangings wouldn't sort out.

Ice777 said:

No, it wasn't.

It was about 200k Australia-wide.

Ice777 said:
You have a point when you say Sydney playing in the GF would've boosted the numbers, but there was also two non Victorian sides in the AFL GF so i dare say that may have affected figures here and brought them down somewhat.

No, you're missing the point.

League's ratings rely on viewers in their heartlands and have and will always watch the NRL Grand Final, no matter who is involved.

AFL need either Brisbane or Sydney to be in the Grand Final, which has happened in each of the last 5 seasons.

If Sydney don't make it this year, NSW and Qld ratings will drop significantly.

It doesn't matter who is in the NRL Grand Final, it could be Melbourne v Brisbane and there will be no significant drop in Sydney.

Ice777 said:
It'll be interesting to see what will happen if again 2 non Victorian clubs compete in the AFL GF again this year which is a big chance of happening

If Sydney don't make the AFL Grand Final, the NRL Grand Final will beat the AFL Grand final.

Ice777 said:
and say if Brisbane and Melbourne contest the NRL GF how it will affect numbers.

It won't affect them, same as an Adelaide v Sydney AFL Grand Final won't affect Melbourne numbers.

Ice777 said:
While the numbers in Melb and Bris would be up and possibly down in Sydney, the AFL figures would again be up in the 2 competeing teams states and probabaly down in Melbourne.

No.

Melbourne watches the AFL Grand Final no matter what, Sydney watches the NRL Grand Final, no matter what. The numbers rise dramatically for Adelaide and Perth if they're involved, but they rise even moreso in Sydney and Brisbane if their team is involved.

Sydney had nearly 1 million last year, more than double the year before.

By the way, in 2004, the NRL Grand Final had more viewers in Melbourne than the AFL Grand Final had in Sydney. And in 2003, and in 2002.

Ice777 said:
That's the thing with sports tv ratings, there's alot of variables depending on if it's two local sides or 2 interstate sides, even one of each. It can make a big difference either way.

You think you understand but I've seen and studied the figures for the past 3 years and you're on the wrong bus.

Ice777 said:
In saying that it's great to see the figures are up on last year. They'd be even higher if they showed certain games in Melbourne at a decent hour. While they wouldn't be winning every timeslot they compete in, i can gaurantee it'd rate higher than some of the sh*t 5th run movies they subject us to down here. All i can say is thank christ for Foxtel or we'd be farked down here in regards to our coverage of league.

I don't think NRL games would rate much in Melbourne. If it's not AFL it needs to be an event so SOO and the GF will rate, nothing else will.

Latest posts