What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced

Brutus

Referee
And you apparently must have a pretty good knowledge of the individuals involved ,as it appears you are able to predict, they will be beholden to the clubs.And be incapable of making an informed and independent decision for the good of the game,based on information collated.
John Grant the former international is hardly gpoing to let the grassroots and international football wither.He has been there done that.

The conspiracy theorists are out in force.

Even John Grant played flogball before he played RL.

Disgraceful.

If being a former international automatically meant a bloke was a massive supporter of international football and grassroots football the game would be in good shape.

Parra

Referee

You need to explain yourself.

In your link I posted:

"If NRL stories sell papers in Adelaide then things are looking good.

AFL stories don't sell anything north of the murray."

I will stick by that anytime you want.

And despite your carrying on back then - I'll ask again - Who is this Lovett bloke and why should I or anyone else care?

ED why do you link to a thread where you drool over some irrelevant aussie rules stuff?

VictoryFC

Bench
I've lost all respect for him now.

Parents are Penrith footy club members and he ends up a friggin flogball supporter.

Stay injured Pat ya clown :)

Which NRL team do you support? Penrith.
Which AFL team do you support? Swans (by default)

"Pat Cummins is a keen Swans supporter...."

Good old Herald Sun.

taipan

Referee
It's objectivity.

And thanks for not trying to put words in my mouth in this post.

How can you support something when you don't have the details? It is naive to do so.
An objective view would be at best ambivalent.

Asking questions is not negative.

If objectivity means criticising an I.C that hasn't made one semblance of a decision ATS,then we have a new meaning for the word. That is not being naive ,just not int touch with reality.

It's called giving a new organisation the benefit of the doubt.

What do you recommend in place of the I.C ,the ARL run by Geoff Carr?

There is a world of a difference between asking constructive questions,and criticising(making statements),before an I.C has started making the hard decisions.

If the I.C stuffs up,I will be the first to neck them.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
If the I.C stuffs up,I will be the first to neck them.

You'll find a queue.

I have been critical of blind support for this News inspired commission. It is naive to either criticise or support something that doesn't exist yet and where details are unknown. Because of these unknowns a lot of people have built up unrealistic expectations of what will be delivered. So defining "stuffs up" will be hard for them. There will be some unjustified disappointment whatever the IC does because of these unrealistic expectations.

Quidgybo

Bench
I have been critical of blind support for this News inspired commission.
This is what I don't get about your position Parra, claiming only to be critical based on such a plainly incorrect statement of fact. The inspiration for the Commission came from within the game, not from News Ltd at all. It is most commonly attributed to a club CEO, Michael Searle. It grew from there into a sub commitee of the clubs (notably not including the Broncos or Storm) and has since gained the explicit endorsement of virtually every major authority within the game today. For its peice, apart from holding out for a few specific demands in its own interests, News Ltd has played a remarkably small role in pushing the Commission forward. It's all come from within the game.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee
This is what I don't get about your position Parra, claiming only to be critical based on such a plainly incorrect statement of fact. The inspiration for the Commission came from within the game, not from News Ltd at all. It is most commonly attributed to a club CEO, Michael Searle. It grew from there into a sub commitee of the clubs (notably not including the Bronos or Storm) and has since gained the explicit endorsement of virtually every major authority within the game today. For its peice, apart from holding out for a few specific demands in its own interests, News Ltd have played a remarkably small role in pushing the Commission forward. It's all come from within the game.

Leigh.

Fair enough Leigh. It's just a different perspective. I see this model as one that was pushed for by News Ltd and they also made some very unreasonable demands as well. Considering they were looking to break a contract any demands could be considered unreasonable.

There has been a lot of grumbling about the need for change coming from within the game itself. But this has also led to this IC being seen as the saviour for everything from country footy, ailing NRL clubs and a bad TV deal. Basically it seems as though everyone who wants any change has decided that the IC will be there to provide what they want. I just can't see how any structural change can deliver all these solutions. And no-one has ever promised that the IC will deliver everything. The expectation has been allowed to develop though.

Based on the little we know so far I'd be betting on a commission that runs the pro level and the rest of the sport will have to look after itself. Anything that doesn't generate a profit can be separated and left to run itself. If this is not the case, and all the stakeholders needs will be considered why not just stick with the ARL/QRL/NSWRL/CRL etc?

taipan

Referee
You'll find a queue.

I have been critical of blind support for this News inspired commission. It is naive to either criticise or support something that doesn't exist yet and where details are unknown. Because of these unknowns a lot of people have built up unrealistic expectations of what will be delivered. So defining "stuffs up" will be hard for them. There will be some unjustified disappointment whatever the IC does because of these unrealistic expectations.

I think blind support is a tad harsh.the commission was hardly News inspired,when Michael Searle was the gent who laid the foundation work,and that is supposed to be common knowledge. He got thinking about it on a flight to the U.S a couple of years ago.We have been hanging around questioning the set up for nearly two years now.

You either support the new i.C or you don't .Every man and his dog,has certain misgivings about anything new .
If everyone sat on the fence,we would still be dragging ourselves along for the next 30 years.
To support a concept,that has proven successful in the AFL,that means News ltd is not half owner of the game,that incompetent people within areas of the game are no longer involved,is hardly conducive to one being naive.Could it get any worse than the past 16 years?
I have in my lifetime never witnessed a business,organisation,sporting body or individual that hasn't stuffed up,on at least one occasion.That is human nature.It would indeed be naive of me, to think that would not be the case with the new I.C.
It stlll means they deserve support in getting the game back to where it should belong.The code is a real pro business now,not a chook raffle,and must be run accordingly.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ces-as-nrls-cold-war-ends-20111209-1onj7.html

It's pens at 20 paces as NRL's cold war ends

Roy Masters

December 10, 2011

WITH the imminent withdrawal of News Ltd from rugby league, debate has turned to the date and place of the official ceremony marking what is, in effect, the end of the Super League war.
Sure, the ceasefire in the conflict between the ARL and Rupert Murdoch's empire was declared on December 19, 1997, but there has been a cold war ever since with News Ltd determined to kill off the ARL and replace it with an independent commission.
News Ltd's exit was to be announced on Tuesday, December 13, in the offices of Pitt Street law firm Kemp Strang, with representatives of the ARL, QRL, NSWRL, News Ltd, the NRL and all of its 16 clubs attending.
However, legal complications, including the details of a new contract for NRL chief executive David Gallop, meant the date had to be pushed back.
NRL clubs were informed of this in a message from Wests Tigers chairman David Trodden: ''The proposed date for establishment of the ARL Commission has been deferred to a future date, which is to be fixed. There are several approvals from various parties that remain outstanding, and as soon as these are satisfied the establishment of the ARL Commission will take place. All parties are working together to complete these tasks as soon as possible.''
Some of the delegates to the planned official ceremony would prefer it occur at a sport location, such as the SFS or the SCG, rather than a law firm.
Translation: there is more room for TV cameras at Moore Park to capture ARL delegates, such as chairman John Chalk, handing power to the beaming independent commissioners.
News Ltd's executives might be more camera shy but basically Rupert's men have achieved what they wanted: Gallop as inaugural chief executive of the commission, a $26 million funding package for Melbourne Storm and first and last broadcasting rights until 2027.
Stephen Loosley, one of News Ltd's three directors on the soon to be extinct Partnership Committee, believes the transfer of power has the best interests of the game at heart.
''Super League is being ended, giving rein to the better angels of our nature,'' said the American Civil War historian, quoting Abraham Lincoln's words at his second inauguration address.
Lincoln, who sought to unify the nation at the end of the 1861-65 war, was subsequently assassinated and replaced as US President by Andrew Johnson, who was less charitable.
Similarly, News Ltd boss John Hartigan, a rugby league lover, has recently been replaced by Kim Williams, a big AFL fan.
Williams was previously boss of Foxtel, and News Ltd holds the management rights to the company.
There are some who believe the Super League war will not end until News Ltd succumbs to the ''better angels'' and pays rugby league the same money it awarded AFL for pay-TV rights.
Meanwhile, a site for the official ceremony ending the code's civil war is unresolved.
The start and end sites of the US Civil War are also instructive. It began in the backyard of the McLean family farm, and ended four years later in their parlour.
But Loosley counsels us to be careful here, pointing out that the McLean family farm was at Manassas, outside Washington in 1861 when the first battle was fought. The family then moved as far away from the conflict as it could, taking up residence in West Virginia at Appomattox Court House.
The Confederate retreat finished just outside their second home, and the document ending the war was signed in their front parlour.
Rugby league's Super League war began in Goldfields House, near Sydney's Circular Quay on March 30, 1995, when John Ribot signed Bulldogs players to the rebel competition.
It might end a couple of city blocks away at Kemp Strang, or a short taxi ride to Moore Park before Christmas … or at News Ltd's Holt Street headquarters next year when Fox Sports pays a just price for the game.
But there was symbolism in an event on Wednesday at a Balmain pub celebrating the life of the late Arthur Beetson.
The ARL chief executive during the Super League war, John Quayle, was there, and spoke lovingly of Beetson.
Ribot, vice-president of the Queensland Former Origin Greats, was helping to organise Beetson's funeral in Brisbane. He called to ask how many seats should be reserved for the NSW contingent.
News Ltd has discarded Quayle and Ribot, yet when it came to the life of a former player, both gave rein ''to the better angels'' of their nature.

applesauce

Bench
In regards the the F&L agreement. If 9/news lose the rights this time round (2013-2018 rights) and the F&L is broken, is it then broken forever or just for this deal?