What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced

Parra

Referee
The committeee investigates ,makes recommendations.The I.C can either accept,amend or reject the recommendations.

You pretend to have a pretty good understanding of the decision making process for an organisation that doesn't exist yet.

Parra

Referee
...if they dont then their standing in the business world will fall ..

You are kidding.

These jobs will require more political acumen than business acumen anyway. But if anyone's motivation is to keep up appearances then they are not right for the job.

Parra

Referee
seeing as they are the biggest stakeholder in the game
of course they do

A concern is that RL ends up with an NFL / NSWRU / PGA Commission scenario where the so-called IC runs the pro level of the game with no regard or interaction with an other facet of the sport - be it juniors, amateurs, country or representative footy. The NRL board was a step in that direction. The IC proponents have claimed that this is not the case - but at this stage who really knows?

All that has been suggested is that the new TV money will prop up ailing NRL clubs. I have not heard or read a word suggesting where else the windfall might be spent. From an NRL club perspective why should it be spent anywhere else? That is why the NSWRL / QRL/ CRL etc existed and had a say - they also represent stakeholders.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
First thing they should do after everything settles down is buy OzTag. They got offered the thing for free in the early 90's and turned it down, look at it now.

Raiderdave

First Grade
A concern is that RL ends up with an NFL / NSWRU / PGA Commission scenario where the so-called IC runs the pro level of the game with no regard or interaction with an other facet of the sport - be it juniors, amateurs, country or representative footy. The NRL board was a step in that direction. The IC proponents have claimed that this is not the case - but at this stage who really knows?

All that has been suggested is that the new TV money will prop up ailing NRL clubs. I have not heard or read a word suggesting where else the windfall might be spent. From an NRL club perspective why should it be spent anywhere else? That is why the NSWRL / QRL/ CRL etc existed and had a say - they also represent stakeholders.

as a fair bit of the increased revenue should
afterall ... the NRL clubs will be the main reason its increased to the level it is expected to be , the clubs n its players the near sole reason we are looking at a billion plus.
Also All clubs in the black will benefit RL across the board anyway as they can then look at spending more money on development of juniors in the districts & these leading straight into their programs.

the feeder leagues never had a say , its not why they were there , they are relics of history & actually the super league war ensured they stayed around probably 15 years longer then they otherwise would have & thats why they are/were there .... the ARL did all the talking for the game below the NRL , but they only had half a say .. & really , was it even this ?

the IC has to listen to the clubs .... our fans watch the game because of them , our kids play the game because of them
sponsors invest in our game because of the 2 above

the clubs are smart enough to know the games needs to be healthy
underneath them ... when our code secures a massive billion plus TV deal next year ... all areas of the game will have a lot more in their budgets
but most certainly .... & rightly ... the clubs will get the lions share.

Parra

Referee
as a fair bit of the increased revenue should
afterall ... the NRL clubs will be the main reason its increased to the level it is expected to be , the clubs n its players the near sole reason we are looking at a billion plus.

I am not arguing whether it should or not.

What I am suggesting is that this commission was touted to be all things to all people. It cannot do this. What it could do very well is act as an NFL-type commission. It has not been sold this way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The IC can and will be responsible for where the games money gets invested. It will be up to the committees under them at State level to make good cases for why X amount of $'s should be invested in different projects within their state. For example the IC may decide that we need bigger growth in affiliated states, the VRL,WARL,SARL,NTRL etc could then be invited to put up grant submissions for funding of specific projects that will meet the IC's strategic plan with measurable outcomes and time limited project funding. Likewise they may decide that Western Sydney needs shoring up more against AFL influence and work with the NSWRL and NRL clubs in that region to allocate funding to specific projects that meet this outcome. The main thing is the IC comes up with a min 5 year strategic plan for the game at all levels (with input from key stakeholders), develops measurable outcomes and KPI's for the strategic plan and then invites project submissions to develop operational plans that will see the KPI's met. They call it business planning!!

Parra

Referee
A business would not support the not-for-profit elements. So it is more like a government "business plan", rather than a commercial business plan. And we all know how those go. To do genuine commercial planning the pro level of the sport would have to go it alone. And that what I am getting at. This is not the way this setup has been sold.

Your mention of state-based committees is something new. I hadn't heard that one before.

Parra

Referee
Whatever happened to the first-and-last rights for News Ltd issue, or the guaranteed cash for Melbourne issue?

Perth Red

Post Whore
A business would not support the not-for-profit elements. So it is more like a government "business plan", rather than a commercial business plan. And we all know how those go. To do genuine commercial planning the pro level of the sport would have to go it alone. And that what I am getting at. This is not the way this setup has been sold.

Your mention of state-based committees is something new. I hadn't heard that one before.

Yes working in the not for profit sector I was thinking it is likely to be a much more Govt/not for profit set up than a commercial business environment.

re the State committees, this is what the states RL governing bodies will effectively be. ie NSWRL,QRL,WARL etc. I can see that the IC will "govern" the game and develop strategic plans and the state bodies will develop their own operational plans out of this overarching plan for the game. As long as the IC doesn;t blow all the money keeping unsustainable NRL clubs runing and leave non for the growth of the games at other levels and ensures it works with all stakeholder levels to ensure the strategic plan has ownership at all levels then it will be fine imo.

The problem is, the NRL clubs are influencing the very deal itself. If the NRL clubs have their way do you think the TV deal will even cater for international football or City/Country? And if it does will this be separate from the Telstra Premiership deal? You can be pretty sure the clubs won't care about rep football rights unless they find a way to profit from them. If Channel Seven came along and said they'd pay $X for a mid-season Test series are the clubs going to advise the IC that this is a good idea, and if so are they going to want to lump it in with the NRL deal so that they get he money instead of it being ringfenced for international and grassroots development the way Test revenue is now?

El Diablo

Post Whore
the few CEO's being partially involved is a good thing

they would not want to see the rights sold for a song again

El Diablo

Post Whore
see what i mean http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22973080#post22973080

How does a game like rl, which is played by fat apes and watched by racist bogans even survive for over 100 years The only explanation is that the AFL has been basically un heard of in NSW until the Swans came in, even then it was virtually un known until the Swans made the 1996 GF. Football has come a long way since then and will only continue to grow in NSW especially with the GWS Giants. Anyone else hear about the Penrith Panthers struggling for sponsorship whereas the Giants have over $3 million already and they haven't even played a game?

Poor rl will always be a poor cousin to the AFL. That is until the nRL is dead.

forget the IC boys

AFL is taking over

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
gallopcup7.jpg

This is humorous is it?

Parra Pride

Referee
I've already started following the GWS, Kalvin Shoddy has won me over, I'm now his biggest fan, NRL is unfortunately dead. :roll:

Brutus

Referee
I'm heartened by the fact Kerry O'Keefe revealed during the cricket today that Nathan "Gary" Lyon was in fact a rugby league man, not a flogball supporter.

This is despite the fact his nickname is derived from an ex-aeriel ping ponger.

Hopefully the tv deal takes these type of things into account..