What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF 2017 Sydney Meeting

siv

First Grade
Very interested in how that meeting in Sydney goes this weekend

Any updates

Coastbloke

Bench
Would be great to hear some announcements that better support probably the most important country that isn't Tier 1..

France..

roughyedspud

Coach
We'll find out whether it's GB or England touring down under in 2019 as well as tours in 2018 & 2020

adamkungl

Immortal
If all went well we should have a decent calendar for the big 3 til 2021.

I'm not optimistic enough to assume it will include regional tournaments at this stage.

adamkungl

Immortal
THE RLIF will likely say that the regional events will be announced by the RLEF & APRLC

Yeah. I feel there should be coordination involving all parties though. These events tend to exist where they fit in between the big 3s (or NRLs) plans.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wouldn't three global rep rounds mid season be good:

QLD v NSW x 3
ENG v NZL x 3
Pacific Cup (3 weeks, 4 nations, P&R)
Euro Cup (3 weeks, 4 nations, P&R)

End of season:
tours (year 1), Confederation Cup (year 2), tours (year 3), World Cup (year 4)

Last Week

Bench
Wouldn't three global rep rounds mid season be good:

QLD v NSW x 3
ENG v NZL x 3
Pacific Cup (3 weeks, 4 nations, P&R)
Euro Cup (3 weeks, 4 nations, P&R)

End of season:
tours (year 1), Confederation Cup (year 2), tours (year 3), World Cup (year 4)

The NRL just negotiated a club season from 26 rounds down to 25. It should be at 22, but it's all we've got for now.

I have hope for the next deal though. Surely broadcasters are seeing the benefits of international matches. The Pacific tests went amazingly well. And club season in the middle of the year is dull.

roughyedspud

Coach
Guys!.!these multi game mid season rep games,ENG v NZ X3 for example, are never going to happen..I love the sentiment but it's the typical RL fan disease of going OTT

The immediate aim should be to get everyone playing,European tests along with Pacific tests, on the weekend of that one origin game that's gonna be on a sunday...that's the best we're ever going to get...something like this would be amazing..

The global rep weekend
Friday
NZ v England - Auckland (Pacific tests)
England knights v France (European tests)

Saturday
Tonga v Samoa (Pacific tests)
PNG v Fiji (Pacific tests)
Cooks v Lebanon (Pacific tests) Lebanon are gonna have a huge RLWC,would be daft not to build on that.
Wales v scotland( (European tests)
Ireland v Italy (European tests)
Serbia v Russia (European tests)

Sunday
NSW v QLD
Canada v USA (north American tests)
Jamaica v south Africa? (north American tests)

And get it all broadcast live or streamed, sponsored and marketed...

We're not a million miles away from achieving this with the Pacific tests & origin Sunday already being planned it's now upto the RFL & RLEF to arrange a free ESL weekend to sort out the European tests part of the global rep weekend.

the dream:

3 week rep window:
England/NZ 3 match series
Pacific Championship (4 teams, 3 weeks, P&R)
Pacific Plate (4 teams, 3 weeks, P&R)
European Championship (4 teams, 3 weeks, P&R)
European Plate (4 teams, 3 weeks, P&R)
American Championship (3 teams, 3 weeks)
Med Championship (4 teams, 3 weeks)
State of Origin

Post Season Window:
Year One: Series (Kangaroo/England with tests against another nation; NZ/Pacific; Confederations Cup Qualifiers)
Year Two: Confederations Cup
Year Three: Series (Kangaroos/NZ with tests against another nation; England/Pacific; World Cup Qualifiers)
Year Four: World Cup

the reality:

bang on what Spud has said, a great start, and probably the best we'll get for quite some time.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Guys!.!these multi game mid season rep games,ENG v NZ X3 for example, are never going to happen..I love the sentiment but it's the typical RL fan disease of going OTT.

Mate, I definately know where you are coming from here but let's face it, a decade ago we would never have believed that the NRL would put the comp on hold and support a weekend where the Pacific Nations got to play each other, Australia would take on NZL and England would even fly out for a game. Things are changing.

All that it would take for the three rep weekends to happen is for the NRL to decide that all three origin games will be played on weekends as a stand alone fixture. If the one stand-alone event from next year onwards is a success and talk of player burn out and lack of interest from missing players during the origin period continues (which I can't see how it won't continue), I can see the NRL setting aside three (possibly consecutive) weekends for Origin. Once that happens content will be needed for TV for Saturday and Sunday and we will have the Pacific Tests as an existing brand (that is growing in popularity) ready to step in and provide that content.

The difficulty obviously is SuperLeague and whether they would decide to continue the comp without the England players or suspend the comp for the three weeks and focus on either Challenge Cup ties or just let Europe have a three week international window also.

roughyedspud

Coach
Ffs....never going to happen..neither is origin on consecutive weeks..there's not the player pool too deal with injuries

adamkungl

Immortal
Ffs....never going to happen..neither is origin on consecutive weeks..there's not the player pool too deal with injuries

Hard to see Origin moving to consecutive weeks - I'm pretty sure the NRL wants it dominating the news cycle for months.

But lets say it did - whats to stop NRL and SL having 3 weeks off to play international fixtures? Aside from will.

I don't understand your opposition to the idea. It's certainly not the most far fetched thing posted in here on a regular basis.

A mid-season rep window across NRL and SL would do wonders for the international game.

roughyedspud

Coach
My opposition to it is that it's pure fantasy...I'd love to see it but it's never,ever going to happen..it's better to focus attention on a single, global rep round and making that the massive success we all know it will be...

The fantasy ideas are like putting a learner drive on the grid at Bathurst cos he mastered a 3 point turn lol..

Steady on lads lol

Latest posts