What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLIF 2017 Sydney Meeting

adamkungl

Immortal
My opposition to it is that it's pure fantasy...I'd love to see it but it's never,ever going to happen..it's better to focus attention on a single, global rep round and making that the massive success we all know it will be...

The fantasy ideas are like putting a learner drive on the grid at Bathurst cos he mastered a 3 point turn lol..

Steady on lads lol

More of a goal to work towards incrementally than an instant do it next year idea.

Obvious obstacle is expecting a test team to travel 2 or 3 times mid season. A 3 test series basically requires a 3 week rep window club layoff. Which as you say is pretty f**kin unlikely.

It could work nicely as a home and away series with split rep-rounds.
England travels once, NZ travels once.

roughyedspud

Coach
The super league & NRL won't agree to it cos it disrupts their season..and that goes for the TV companies that fund our entire sport..an important fact not to be ignored.

The clubs won't agree...it's a ball ache getting them to agree to one rep round let alone three,I reckon the clubs will kick off with the Pacific tests & Sunday origin being on the same weekend you know....and then the traveling,as you pointed out...and costs..I reckon it's cost England upwards of £100,000 in travel & hotel costs alone,add to that player & staff payments too....it's not cheap,that'll put the kiwis off for starters lol

thorson1987

Coach
http://rlif.com/article/8268/lions-kangaroos-and-kiwi-tours-back-on-the-calendar

The RLIF Board has supported the return of Lions, Kangaroo and Kiwi Tours starting in 2018
The next four-year International Rugby League calendar has been confirmed today at a meeting of the Board of the Rugby League International Federation in Sydney. Headlining the calendar is the return of Kangaroos and Lions Tours.

The four-year cycle, beginning in 2018, will include a New Zealand tour to Europe and an Emerging Nations championship in 2018, followed by a Lions Tour to the Southern Hemisphere in 2019, and a Kangaroos Tour to Europe in 2020. The Kangaroos Tour will feature at least three Test matches against England and one Test against France.

The final year of the next cycle, 2021, will feature the Rugby League Men’s and Women’s World Cups in the UK.

To support the development of Tier Two nations, the RLIF will work with the Continental Federations to strengthen existing regional competitions in Europe, Asia Pacific, the Americas and Middle East/Africa.

The RLIF also authorised the creation a dedicated mid-season international weekend, giving nations an opportunity to participate in a co-ordinated suite of fixtures for men and women that will incorporate the current Pacific Test Series.

The RLIF Board further committed to preparation of a thorough business case for international Nines with the potential for a pinnacle World Cup for men and women to be held in 2019 and both youth and women’s nines included as part of the Commonwealth Games Festival in 2018.

Additionally the Board determined that qualification for World Cups will be concluded two years prior to each event with the qualifiers for the 2021 World Cup in England to be completed by December 2019.

RLIF Chairman Nigel Wood commented:

“Today's RLIF Board made significant progress across a number of vitally important topics for international rugby league. Most importantly we resolved a cohesive calendar for International Rugby League for the period through 2021. I am sure supporters will welcome the reintroduction of Lions, Kangaroos and Kiwi Tours in particular but the calendar provides new opportunities for all our Members and embraced the expansion of Nines, providing an exciting future for players, supporters and members alike.”

- See more at: http://rlif.com/article/8268/lions-...urs-back-on-the-calendar#sthash.LgxgJxCF.dpuf

Burns

First Grade
So, it'll just be England touring Australia and New Zealand in 2019. Cool.

adamkungl

Immortal
The super league & NRL won't agree to it cos it disrupts their season..and that goes for the TV companies that fund our entire sport..an important fact not to be ignored.

The clubs won't agree...it's a ball ache getting them to agree to one rep round let alone three,I reckon the clubs will kick off with the Pacific tests & Sunday origin being on the same weekend you know....and then the traveling,as you pointed out...and costs..I reckon it's cost England upwards of £100,000 in travel & hotel costs alone,add to that player & staff payments too....it's not cheap,that'll put the kiwis off for starters lol

TV companies get internationals which rate well and are growing.
There are enough to fill a weekend.

Clubs get a week off to heal their injuries...

Travelling once each aint so bad if a business case can be made

adamkungl

Immortal
So, it'll just be England touring Australia and New Zealand in 2019. Cool.

No.
There will also be regional cups (strongly suggested) and WC qualifiers.

Overall excellent outcomes I think. Future lookin bright

hutch

First Grade
3 years of tours? What happened to the confederations cup in the middle year? I like tours, but will the big 3 even play other nations outside of world cups anymore? And there are no plans for any other countries at the moment, I'm not sure what to think.

roughyedspud

Coach
The 2019 fed cup got binned cos the RLIF felt there wasn't the time to arrange it

From 2021 there's a RLIF EVENT every other year

adamkungl

Immortal
The plans for other nations include
-Tests aligned with International rep week
-WC qualifiers
-improved regional tournaments
-International 9s

plus whatever tests and tours they organise themselves.

I think the big 3 will incorporate at least 1 game into their respective tours.

Eg. Lions tour
3x vs Aus
1x vs NZ
1x vs PNG
is a possibility

Kiwi tour
3x vs Eng/GB? (lol)
1x vs France
1x vs Scotland?

There's nothing to stop anyone organising tests outside of tournaments, it's not the RLIFs responsibility

roughyedspud

Coach
It was announced 25mins ago...and there's people on Twitter asking what's the point of England,Wales,Scotland playing in the RLWC if there's a GB team

25 f**king minutes!!!!

Latest posts