What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC GAME 5 : Samoa V Tonga ---Battle of the Pacific! *spoilers*

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
But what now for these nations ?

Will League bosses say thanks boys, see you all in five years ?

I really hope not, we have to build on this with regular Internationals on a yearly basis and not just one-offs, there needs to be either Test Series or Pacific Islands tournaments, as well as meaningful test matches against the Big 3.

Spot on.

flamin

Juniors
Was an awesome atmosphere inside the ground. It was so loud, it felt like there was 50k in there.

After the match was hilarious, spectators were warned that if they ran onto the field it would be a $5,000 fine. 2 blokes ran on, one got swamped by about 5 security guards and the other was running freely with a Samoan Flag which he gave to Setu. Just as they were about to grab him, thousands of others spilled on and it was mayhem! Players carried on shoulders and all.

Was a great night.

By the way, i caught a ball which came into the crowd from a kick for touch, and that explained to me why so much drop ball, it had sweat all over it.
That's awesome. Sticking it to the establishment.
00028965-image.jpg

Last edited:

screeny

Bench
Mateo was well marked, so credit to Ackland's prep.

I agree with perverse and others that Tonga were poorly coached. The way they were chopping and changing at AHB, 1st and 2nd rec'r today was ridiculous. they looked much better with Leo-Latu at 9. Eddie Peaea was a bit scared I think - of his own team. He didn't want to play a pivotal role, probably because Dymock hadn't prepared with him playing a significant role.

Good game, very entertaining. England v France in the semi though.

I should also add that Hayne had another excellent game and unlike Klein and Ganson didn't mess up and aggravate everyone playing and watching.

Yeah he made some errors but he's only human, and Hayne should get the final on this evidence. Perfect control of the ruck in my opinion and not scared to make clutch calls (Fa'aso's voluntary tackle for example).

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great game. great occasion. OK it wasn't your 85% completion rate, 5 missed tackles, 3 x40-20 type NRL game but this isn't the NRL, it's the World Cup! Two passionate teams playing their guts out for nothing more than the pride in their country. Loved the crowd atmosphere, loved the Tongans refusal to give it in, loved the Samoans walk up to the half way line challenge, loved the pitch invasion and party atmosphere at the end. What a breath of fresh air for RL in this country the World Cup is turning out to be!

roughyedspud

Coach
mateo is'nt a myth...he's one of the top 10 players in the world............

i would have said top 5 but i did'nt want to create a fuss :lol:

the damn pub i was in (our england,elephant & wheelbarrow) would'nt put it on because the irish wanted to watch the rules game....

talking of which...i lasted all of 2:48 seconds of it before i walked out and went back to the pub :lol:

Last edited:

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
You have all the answers.

I expect international footy to be a step up. Seems I am wrong.

Go reserves, go.

Hmmm reserves huh?? Gee i think there has been more good talk on this one International match then the the Semi and Grand Finals for the NRL :sarcasm:

Samoa vs Tonga pissed all over the NRL's final three matches!

Shane Hayne take a bow:clap: Didnt even notice him in the match and didnt see one mistake from him. Hope the English refs were watching ;-)

Parra

Referee
The chip on the shoulder attitude has got to stop.

The RLWC can be good without the need to compare and disparage everything else.

Better than the NRL's final three matches? BS
Hayne made no mistakes? BS

International footy should be a step up. It isn't - and until that major problem is addressed it will not be taken as seriously as so many people desire.

The rest is just excuse making.

Iafeta

Referee
Lauaki needs to fug off!! He can take Guttenbeil with him, never have i seen a prop forward go sideways more than i did with Awen tonight.

Uaisele,Leo-Latu and Jennings were all stand outs for a losing side tonight. Samoa just sapped their Tongas energy making them defend for most of the 2nd half. Ball handling from both sides was scrappy, Samoa was just the better team on the night.

Awen's not a front rower. He's a back rower and a bloody good one. He's the most underrated Warrior in their history. Even last night he saved Tonga's arse in D a fair few times, pulling off 41 tackles.

Tonga's best player was Latu. He is the one guy that I am most frustrated about not sticking around at the Warriors to tap the potential. If you can get a pack dominating at ruck time, Tevita will cut you up every day and twice on Sunday.

Tonga looked badly coached, it honestly looks like the coaches and the people behind the team have got too caught up in two blokes who love to country-hop to suit themselves and forgotten about the blokes who pledged their allegiance to them throughout. With Mateo, Latu, Jennings, Lopini Paea, Cooper Vuna and Eddie Paea in their side I expected them to go well in the tournament, but they are deadset poorly coached.

That was the major difference, Samoa had structure and some restraint in their game plan. John Ackland is a massively underrated force at the Warriors and also here. Blokes like Asotasi and Money Bill before he became delusional will tell you how smart this bloke is. Cleary is lucky to have such a fine coach assistanting at the Warriors.

VonVolks

Juniors
Leo Latu was great and a very enjoyable match all together.

I missed the hakas cos of the lack of streaming (before I raced over to my mums to watch it on TV) which i was looking forward too.

Great passion and crowd and I agree that Shane Hayne was very good and put Klein and Ganson to shame.

All in all very good and another good WC game...

And lets hope the IRLF get some nice profits from this tournament that they can pump into the international game and help along the newer developing nations and help support teams like Tonga and Samoa (and that they sort out the player eligibility and start helping / encouraging players to turn out for their nations and not letting Aus / NZ cherry pick and intimidate everyone into not playing for their countries!)

Joker's Wild

Coach
Who is Tevita Leo-Latu playing for currently? Why is this kid not playing NRL FFS.

Oh yeah, that "chick punching" incident :(

Last edited:

Latest posts