What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC GAME 5 : Samoa V Tonga ---Battle of the Pacific! *spoilers*

pcpp

Juniors
Wednesday's result: Group 3 rankings

Ireland def Samoa by 9+ points: Ireland, Tonga, Samoa
Ireland def Samoa by 6-7 points: Tonga, Ireland, Samoa
Ireland def Samoa by 3-4 points: Tonga, Samoa, Ireland
Ireland def Samoa by 1 point: Samoa, Tonga, Ireland
Draw: Samoa, Tonga, Ireland
Samoa def Irealnd: Samoa, Tonga, Ireland

Ireland def Samoa by 8 points: Ireland and Tonga equal 1st
Ireland def Samoa by 5 points: Ireland and Samoa equal 2nd
Ireland def Samoa by 2 points: Samoa and Tonga equal 1st

I hope I did my maths right.. :lol:

I think your maths are wrong because there is no way Tonga can top the group. Tonga are currently on -6 points difference - it is impossible for Ireland and Samoa to all have 2 points and have a points difference worse than -6.

I'm pretty sure this is correct:

Samoa win or draw and they're into the SFQ
Ireland win by 6 points or more and they're into the SFQ
Ireland win by exactly 5 points - both Ireland and Samoa are on the same points difference. Not sure who goes through.
Ireland win by 4 points or less - Samoa are into the SFQ

Tonga cannot make the Semi-Finals on any result.

Last edited:

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Lauaki needs to fug off!! He can take Guttenbeil with him, never have i seen a prop forward go sideways more than i did with Awen tonight.

Uaisele,Leo-Latu and Jennings were all stand outs for a losing side tonight. Samoa just sapped their Tongas energy making them defend for most of the 2nd half. Ball handling from both sides was scrappy, Samoa was just the better team on the night.

It's pretty simple. Samoa win or lose by less than five and they win the pool. Ireland win by more than five and they win the pool. If Ireland win by five it's level and I'd imagine Ireland would go through due to their win against Samoa.

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
I think your maths are wrong because there is no way Tonga can top the group. Tonga are currently on -6 points difference - it is impossible for Ireland and Samoa to all have 2 points and have a points difference worse than -6.

I'm pretty sure this is correct:

Samoa win or draw and they're into the SFQ
Ireland win by 6 points or more and they're into the SFQ
Ireland win by exactly 5 points - both Ireland and Samoa are on the same points difference. Not sure who goes through.
Ireland win by 4 points or less - Samoa are into the SFQ

Tonga cannot make the Semi-Finals on any result.

sh*t true I'd put down Tonga at +6...

meh, that's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

roopy

Referee
I think that Samoa has two games to really work on ball security before they play either Aus or England in the semi - and if they can get the ball security happening they will give a good account of themselves.

If they have as little regard for possession as they did today they will get smacked.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Good game. Best so far in the competition.

But I couldn't help thinking how many of the players have actually ever been to Tonga or Samoa?:D

The whole samoan squad went to Samoa to be sent off...same too the Fijian. Oh and the Tongan team travelled to Tonga last year to play Fiji.

Last edited:

hitman51

Juniors
Good game. Best so far in the competition.

But I couldn't help thinking how many of the players have actually ever been to Tonga or Samoa?:D

Mate if you took the time to readme of the articles on here you would have known that the samoan team have been in samoa the last 2 weeks :roll:

awsome game by samoa was realy impressed with their forwards they could have thrashed tonga tonight had they clicked with some of those missed tries. Their big names stood up tonight and that was the difference between the 2 samoa had the experience to get them through .

nadera78

Juniors
That's a little bit over-enthusiastic. If the NRL dished up that crap every week they'd call it the Shute Shield. And that's being unfair to the Shute Shield.

You're a f*cking moron. How on earth can anyone complain after watching a game like that? Big hits, ball thrown around, some great tries scored, couple of bombed tries, bit of aggression, fantastic supporters.

But, of course, you'd rather watch a Ricky Stuart inspired wrestle-fest in the NRL!

welshmagpie

Juniors
After watching Samoa this morning Andy kelly will have identified their weaknesses, but Ireland have to be on game to do them by the required 11 points, or w.e it is...

Put Pat Richards on Matt Utai, Pat can outjump the best of them, so Utai should be a no brainer.

Hopefully Holroyd will eb fit, and play him at 6, Fitzy at 7.. play Scott Grix from the bench ala Liam Finn. Target Vagana with Fitzys pace, then let Holroyd bully the outside backs with his passing game, and tactical kicking.

The forwarss really have to be on point against the Samoans, their pack can mess with most teams in this WC. Haggerty, Tandy have to be used well, and be set off in stints by Andy Kelly.. Simon Figgan must play like a 13, not like a second rower (against Tonga)

Platty, fuccin act like a full abck, and learn the 40/20 rule mate..

Cmonnn the Irish

Parra

Referee
You're a f*cking moron. How on earth can anyone complain after watching a game like that? Big hits, ball thrown around, some great tries scored, couple of bombed tries, bit of aggression, fantastic supporters.

But, of course, you'd rather watch a Ricky Stuart inspired wrestle-fest in the NRL!

You have all the answers.

I expect international footy to be a step up. Seems I am wrong.

Go reserves, go.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Was an awesome atmosphere inside the ground. It was so loud, it felt like there was 50k in there.

After the match was hilarious, spectators were warned that if they ran onto the field it would be a $5,000 fine. 2 blokes ran on, one got swamped by about 5 security guards and the other was running freely with a Samoan Flag which he gave to Setu. Just as they were about to grab him, thousands of others spilled on and it was mayhem! Players carried on shoulders and all.

Was a great night.

By the way, i caught a ball which came into the crowd from a kick for touch, and that explained to me why so much drop ball, it had sweat all over it.

no name

Coach
Was an awesome atmosphere inside the ground. It was so loud, it felt like there was 50k in there.

After the match was hilarious, spectators were warned that if they ran onto the field it would be a $5,000 fine. 2 blokes ran on, one got swamped by about 5 security guards and the other was running freely with a Samoan Flag which he gave to Setu. Just as they were about to grab him, thousands of others spilled on and it was mayhem! Players carried on shoulders and all.

Was a great night.

By the way, i caught a ball which came into the crowd from a kick for touch, and that explained to me why so much drop ball, it had sweat all over it.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JasonE

Bench
Heres my take on it

Let’s build on it
October 31st, 2008 @ 11:06 am by Jason Emery
Ok, so Tonga v Samoa was a magnificent occasion, a match played at high intensity in front of a boisterous crowd full of passion and colour.

It had everything, skill, big hits and toughness leaving us all wanting more.

But what now for these nations ?

Will League bosses say thanks boys, see you all in five years ?

I really hope not, we have to build on this with regular Internationals on a yearly basis and not just one-offs, there needs to be either Test Series or Pacific Islands tournaments, as well as meaningful test matches against the Big 3.

What we saw tonight both Live at Penrith and Live ON Fox Sports should be the start of something very special for International Rugby League, it meant so much to players and fans, i just hope that administrators satisfy the needs.

Parra

Referee
we have to build on this with regular Internationals on a yearly basis and not just one-offs, there needs to be either Test Series or Pacific Islands tournaments, as well as meaningful test matches against the Big 3.

Cheezel

Juniors
You have all the answers.

I expect international footy to be a step up. Seems I am wrong.

Go reserves, go.

Common Parra, it was a great game and had everything!

Your just dirty that the game was more exciting then anything Parra has put together this year :lol:

CABRA ROCKS

Juniors
Heres my take on it

Let’s build on it
October 31st, 2008 @ 11:06 am by Jason Emery
Ok, so Tonga v Samoa was a magnificent occasion, a match played at high intensity in front of a boisterous crowd full of passion and colour.

It had everything, skill, big hits and toughness leaving us all wanting more.

But what now for these nations ?

Will League bosses say thanks boys, see you all in five years ?

I really hope not, we have to build on this with regular Internationals on a yearly basis and not just one-offs, there needs to be either Test Series or Pacific Islands tournaments, as well as meaningful test matches against the Big 3.

What we saw tonight both Live at Penrith and Live ON Fox Sports should be the start of something very special for International Rugby League, it meant so much to players and fans, i just hope that administrators satisfy the needs.
..You are Dead set Right, why do we have To Wait 4-5 Years for Something Great like this too Happen. I Know They Say Money is an Issue..but Our Sport needs Change..There is plenty of Talent coming from island nations Fiji, PNG, Tonga & Samoa & Torres Strait.. Take the Best players from These nations.. and i'm sure They'll be Good ENough to Take on The Big Three !!...Just to See the Colourful & vibrant Crowd tonight at CUA Stadium.. the Energy & Passion of the Crowd..were missing out on something.. i Remembered a bit of this when we use to have The world sevens in the Early 90S.....what ever happened to those Days !!..

Last edited: