What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2007 plus international news

griff

Bench
Joker said:
Agreed. RWC did use True Colours to promote its legitimacy at all because the RWC never had to prove itself to anyone that it was an international sport. Only a superficial reading of it would come to that conclusion. All True Colours was about was getting people to support a team, any team, passionately - which it did.

I assume you meant to say 'didn't'?

I would suggest it is your reading that is superficial as you are saying it was just about getting people to support a team.

True Colours was all about how truly international the game was. It was full of flags, pride in the the jersey, grown men crying during national anthems etc. All of these elements lend weight to it being about authenticity/legitimacy (call it what you will) rather than just about supporting a team.

In fact I've just found an interview from the guy at George Patts responsible for the ad:

"This ad is about showing your pride and passion of a truly international game," Betts said.

I don't have a problem with Samoa picking 20 NZers in RL or RU, but I was demonstrating that regardless of whether the Aborigines/Maori make it, we will not see all these born n bred Samoans Tongans in the Cup anyway.

I don't have a problem either.

As I've been trying to clarify, my problem with it is more about Samoa or Tonga missing out rather than individual Samoans or Tongans (though that is important too).

IKnowIt

Juniors
AuckMel said:
Don't panic mate.

I'm not panicking, where is there any sign that I am?

AuckMel said:
You'll get your World Cup with only real nations in it. Never mind that they'll be full of Australians and NZers, it's all good for the game in those developing nations, right?

Well I was only commenting on the allowing of indigenous sides to the World Cup. I made no mention of other nations.

But International Rugby League needs to get its eligibility rules fixed up to ensure there isn't any movement of players from one country to another and back again.

AuckMel said:
It's just a pity those nations will probably never see those players play in the country their grand-parents or parents were born in.

I totally agree, and why long-term strategies are needed to fix this

AuckMel

Bench
carlnz said:
As for us kiwis....we get heaps of kids growing in our back yard...as long as Rugby dont steal them :roll:

It's not just Rugby that we have to watch out for in New Zealand, carl.

We have numerous threats to us from within the game as well.

AuckMel, I think you have to let the idea of a Maori side go.

I think what will determine if the RLWC is a winner is how it is marketed as people have said.

Whoever marketed the RUWC deserves a medal, because they were able to sellout matches with minnow sides like Romania and Georgi etc, because people thought they were seeing world class rugby. When in reality they could have seen better rugby played in the Club Rugby.

But another reason why a RLWC would struggle is because RU is now seen as a trendy sport to follow. It was evident in the WC, everyone jumped on the rugby bandwagon because it's the trendy place to go now. While RL is seen as the working class game full of meat heads.

The Observer

Staff member
Unknown Pleasures said:
AuckMel, I think you have to let the idea of a Maori side go.

Unknown Pleasures,

Its clear you have rocked up and read the last page of the debate only. If you don't agree with what Auckmel is saying, fine, but don't then go and lecture him about what his opinion should be, especially when you're going to qualify that recommendation by making a facile statement.

carlnz

Bench
This is plain and simple......The only reason NZ Maori made the World Cup was because they were average team and there was no team at there standard that could play in the world cup.......

Now with more Internationals, we have more qualitiy sides comming through...eg Italy, Morroco, USA that could easily take there place in the next world cup....

But i Still think NZ Maori should tour and play teams like they did against France last year to help build other teams up......they are an ok team, but I think Italy could take there place in the world cup...

Te Kaha

First Grade
carlnz said:
This is plain and simple......The only reason NZ Maori made the World Cup was because they were average team and there was no team at there standard that could play in the world cup.......

You might want to check your facts before making statements like that.

The Maori were included as part of the settlement from the fallout of the SL "war".

carlnz

Bench
Well there you go then thats just wrong, another country should of been there instead of the Maori, Results of there 2000 world cup were:

Won against Scotland 17-16,
Lost to Samoa 21- 16,
Lost to Ireland 30-16.

While they are competive, they shouldnt be there if we want to develop the game International. Maybe i hate to say it, but take a leaf out of rugby and let them tour countries like canada and play the top teams in the world but dont let them in the World Cup.....Maybe if we had another team like Lebanon play in the 2000 World Cup they would be at the same stage as Lebanon is now?

They played alright agains a French A side last year..i think 28-16 they lost, and the year before they beat a well under strength Tonga touring team 50-6 or something so like i said they can match other teams, but maybe they should just do tours to other countires like PNG and Samoa etc etc

But why would it be fair for NZ to have to teams in the World Cup? If they arent good enough to make the Kiwis then they shoulnt be there.

Latest posts