What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

Burns

First Grade
Pssst, I really hope we can sell out the Final because I don’t know what to believe any more about League in Australia.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
A positive note about crowds for this tournament is that tonight we will surpass the total attendance of the 2008 tournament held in Australia.

2008 WC: 293,442
2017 WC: 280,939 (after quarter final stage)

I know it is nowhere near the 2013 WC attedance wise but we have to compare apples with apples when talking about northern and southern hemesphere crowds. It appears that TV ratings are stronger in the south and crowds stronger in the north. As long as each WC shows growth, it is all good.

Billythekid

First Grade
A positive note about crowds for this tournament is that tonight we will surpass the total attendance of the 2008 tournament held in Australia.

2008 WC: 293,442
2017 WC: 280,939 (after quarter final stage)

I know it is nowhere near the 2013 WC attedance wise but we have to compare apples with apples when talking about northern and southern hemesphere crowds. It appears that TV ratings are stronger in the south and crowds stronger in the north. As long as each WC shows growth, it is all good.

This World Cup did have an extra 7 matches and benefited significantly from hosting matches in PNG and good crowds in NZ.

You're right though this tournament hasn't been a complete disaster. In the end about 70-80K more people will attend this world up than the last time it was held here and I'm sure TV ratings have blown that tournament away in total. It's not all negatives.

It's just disappointing because I think we can all see it much more was possible. I just hope we learn from all this when the World Cup comes back here (likely in 2029). The new stadiums in Sydney and NQLD might help too. If the international game keeps growing the World Cup has a bright future.

Hopefully England continue to play regular internationals and some of the other teams like France also play more. If the 2021 can surpass the 2013 World Cup that would be huge for the game.

Under 400 tickets remain for Auckland, from RLWC Twitter

Amazing! Going to be a fantastic spectacle for league!

Billythekid

First Grade
There's been alot of positive headlines around this world cup. More positive than negative.

In 2008, we would never have see the likes of Lebanon, France, Tonga, Ireland, etc etc play lives on free to air TV.

Agreed. Whilst some of the Australian crowds have been disappointing his World Cup has been a huge step up compared to the last one. TV ratings are massively up and the smaller nations have been given a far bigger spotlight.

Edit: by last one I mean last one in Australia.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Flying over to Brisbane on Thursday to see the final. You dont get many World Cup opportunities in your life so I grab them whenever I can! Hoping England get there and cause a epic upset but I’m going for the event and any self respecting RL fan should do the same!

Already started convincing the wife to go to USA for the RLWC2025!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed. Whilst some of the Australian crowds have been disappointing his World Cup has been a huge step up compared to the last one. TV ratings are massively up and the smaller nations have been given a far bigger spotlight.

Edit: by last one I mean last one in Australia.

I think the vibe and mostly positive media and fan response is the biggest thing. We finally have a World Cup in this part of the world that people are giving credibility and compliments to!

We got to host a RLWC fixture in Perth and it was a great success. That in itself shows how far the game is coming.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think the vibe and mostly positive media and fan response is the biggest thing. We finally have a World Cup in this part of the world that people are giving credibility and compliments to!

We got to host a RLWC fixture in Perth and it was a great success. That in itself shows how far the game is coming.

Yeah it's easy to dwell on the negatives but this is yet another mostly successful World Cup that continues to build on previous world cups (and profitability keeps going up).

Flying over to Brisbane on Thursday to see the final. You dont get many World Cup opportunities in your life so I grab them whenever I can! Hoping England get there and cause a epic upset but I’m going for the event and any self respecting RL fan should do the same!

Already started convincing the wife to go to USA for the RLWC2025!

I'll most likely have a little kid or 2 at that point so I doubt I'll be travelling over for that one. Would be a fun experience.

Saint Doc

Coach
It’s worth remembering that the 2008 tournament was seen as a great success at the time.

The RLWC Prior to that, in 2000, was such a disaster financially it almost died. It was shelved for 8 years.

2013 was brilliant but we’re going better than 2008 and that was a good tournament.

The future is hopefully bright!

The Partisan

Off to tonight's game at Suncorp with 3 mates. Was just about to jump on line and buy tickets ...when got a call to say I'd won some in a comp. Woo hoo ! Attending with one fellow International Rugby League savvy type and two to be educated !

yakstorm

First Grade
Cat Cs back on sale at Brisbane. Not sure what to think about the sporadic method of selling... We're pretty much going to have full bays on the third level of Suncorp and then a bunch of really empty ones in the lower bowl and in the TV arc...

Anyway great news about Auckland. Tracking for 50K+ for the weekend... Hopefully Suncorp gets closer to 25K than 20K

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Cat Cs back on sale at Brisbane. Not sure what to think about the sporadic method of selling... We're pretty much going to have full bays on the third level of Suncorp and then a bunch of really empty ones in the lower bowl and in the TV arc...

Anyway great news about Auckland. Tracking for 50K+ for the weekend... Hopefully Suncorp gets closer to 25K than 20K

Mt Smart in Auckland on holds 30k at the absolute max

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
W

Where would you have held it then? Local park?

I'm talking more about the ticket pricing. They are trying to sell this event as a world class World Cup, and it's evident (outside PNG and the NZ Tongan support) they have failed.

Like I said they are lucky about the whole Tongan situation. It has basicly fallen into the organisers lap who have in theory done nothing to build on this. If Tongan failed to make the semis, we would all be discussing how embarrising the crowd is.

Clear indication is that the Final was sold out for memory well before the Semi finals in 08. This time we are looking at 30,000....not surprised when tickets are $180.

Latest posts