What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Do kiwis really care about the all whites?

It is pretty big here in NZ even at junior level. Unfortunately it's dominating the news cycle here in NZ at the moment. Then the All Blacks with there game against a weekend French side..........and then the Kiwis vs Tonga

Raiderdave

First Grade
I may also add that our national football team (Socceroos) also has larger support for world cup qualifiers than our RL team.

you can add it
you'd be wrong

Kangaroos V England RL world cup 1.4 Million on FTA TV alone ,V France 1.2 Million
add the ANZAC test ( 1.3 Million )
the socceroos in their world cup qualifiers here so far & in other time friendly zones
barely half that on FTA & pay combined

only our cricket team is watched by more australians at the international level

Burns

First Grade
Only CAT A remaining for NZ v Tonga, Lower stands looks to be entirely sold out. Some large section of some Bays to be sold on the non-TV side, but you imagine they would all go before tomorrow/on game day.

Billythekid

First Grade
Any word on tonight's match? It deserves a good crowd but frankly I'd probably be satisfied if it cracks 5K.

Last minute predictions for the weekend.

Fiji v Italy - 5K
NZ v Tonga - 20K
Somoa v Scotland - 4K
Australia v Lebanon - 17K
USA v PNG - 14.8K
Perth double header - 10K

Outside of 2 big let downs it should be an OK weekend for crowds. PNG and NZ to be the shining lights yet again.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Would it be an idea for future world cups to set the quarter final venues before the WC but leave some flexibility as to which teams play where? We most likely have:

Australia v Samoa in Darwin - likely sold out at 10K (absolute max)
New Zealand v Lebanon in Christchurch - likely around 12K (17K capacity)
Fiji v Tonga in Melbourne - likely 5 - 7K (30K capacity)
PNG v England in Wellington - likely 8 - 9K (34.5K capacity)

This could be pretty embarrassing. It's not necessarily the venues themselves that need changing, they just needed to allow some flexibility so that games could be placed to maximise crowds:

Australia v Samoa in Melbourne - likely 15K
New Zealand v Lebanon in Christchurch - likely around 12K
Fiji v Tonga in Wellington - likely 10 - 12K
PNG v England in Darwin - likely sold out at 10K

Still not great but it is not embarrassing.

adamkungl

Immortal
PNG v England will be in Melbourne.
Darwin bid specifically for the Kangaroos game.
and NZ are playing in Wellington I think.

Aus v Samoa in Darwin 10k
NZ v Lebanon in Wellington 20k
England v PNG in Melbourne 15k
Tonga v Fiji in Christchurch 15k

Ari Gold

Bench
In Canberra for tonight's game... funny that I saw more promotion up in Sydney than down here!

I have a feeling that was part of the bargain for bid cities.. extra promotion in Sydney to encourage inbound tourism. I also remember the bus stops in Sydney advertising the Opener and Final in Melbourne and Brisbane respective rather than the Sydney games.

morningstar

Juniors
Only CAT A remaining for NZ v Tonga, Lower stands looks to be entirely sold out. Some large section of some Bays to be sold on the non-TV side, but you imagine they would all go before tomorrow/on game day.

2 weeks in and our first sellout that is not in a 3rd world country.

Gold stars all round for Andrew Hill and his team!

morningstar

Juniors
PNG v England will be in Melbourne.
Darwin bid specifically for the Kangaroos game.
and NZ are playing in Wellington I think.

This. Same for the Kiwis in Wellington.

The f*ckwits organizing the tournament thought this should be kept hush hush until this week or how the quarter finals work.

Clifferd

Coach
Wouldn't be surprised if Tonga pulled of an upset

Would be amazing for the tournament.

Would also mean Australia most likely meet NZ in the semis with a huge chance for Tonga to progress to the final (Tonga would be favourites v England surely)

King hit

Coach
Would be bitter sweet if Tonga made the final. Sure it would be great but I feel Australia would just wipe the floor with them.

Burns

First Grade
Tonga upset tomorrow would mean that there would be two genuine Semi Finals as opposed to the usual Eng v NZ; Aus v Minnow.

A Tonga v NZ Final would be legendary.

Saint Doc

Coach
In Canberra for tonight's game... funny that I saw more promotion up in Sydney than down here!

I have a feeling that was part of the bargain for bid cities.. extra promotion in Sydney to encourage inbound tourism. I also remember the bus stops in Sydney advertising the Opener and Final in Melbourne and Brisbane respective rather than the Sydney games.

Common theme.

I was in Melbourne 2 nights before the World Cup opener, which is when I took this photo at the main intersection next to Federation Square in the Centre Of Melbourne. I was excited to see the opening RLWC game being advertised in such a prominent position. Until I realised it was actually advertising the semi final and final in Queensland!!

C1E68D89-B88B-4A3D-8598-31F56DE6DFE4.jpg