What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

Burns

First Grade
Oh and my pax number was 22162
Given the extent of free tickets, who knows what to make of anything.

1,460 left for PNG game....

Bugger all sold at the Wellington Quarterfinal and with Cat A being $70 will be interesting to see how they sell...
PNG will sort itself out as usual.

I agree again with your second point, and post earlier. Would it be fair to say that the Pacific Nations fans would also come out to support NZ in Wellington? Looks like under half the stadium is on sale? The Cake Tin in particular looks real bad when no one is there - is there much of a Lebanese community in Wellington?

Burns

First Grade
All good points … but can I ask everyone out there;

Has there been ANY official RLWC merchandise at ANY of the games?

(I was at Eng v Lebanon but walked there from the "back" of the stadium in Paddington and there was nothing on that side, but there may have been merchandise for sale up the front )

Go to the main entrance and you could have purchased all England and Lebanon merch - even official RLWC gear! I got myself an England scarf, from what I could see throughout the evening merch sales were really strong.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Go to the main entrance and you could have purchased all England and Lebanon merch - even official RLWC gear! I got myself an England scarf, from what I could see throughout the evening merch sales were really strong.
Ah … good to hear !

The same at other games, i presume?

Jim from Oz

Juniors
I saw a few posters on telegraph poles advertising the Fiji v Italy game in Canberra along the Grand Parade Brighton in Sydney yesterday..

This game should be pretty close I hope it can pull a decent crowd but I’m not hopeful.
Advertising the Fiji v Italy game in Canberra along the Grand Parade Brighton in Sydney makes ZERO sense!

DlEHARD

Juniors
Feeling pissed that I dropped nearly $200 on tickets for this match and now there are freebies.

They are butchering our market of loyal ticket buyers and the value of these events by doing this.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm torn on the late discounts/freebies

I can understand that people feel shitty about buying tickets early, but I also don't blame the organisers for responding to the market. I'd rather someone come with a cheapie or freebie than not at all. This obviously wouldn't be happening if sales were progressing well. Think of it as free samples gaining future international fans.
Would any of us have complained if slashed prices for the opener to get a 30,000 crowd?

By buying tickets early we guarantee our seats, and contribute to the future of international Rugby League.

yakstorm

First Grade
22,802 is the PAX for Sydney now... Only positives of the freebies is it is good to see the ones they are giving away for free are on the opposite side of the TV arc and ones they previously weren't releasing (or had only released a handful), at least it will make the ground fill 'more full'.

Burns

First Grade
The issue is more that the CAT A tickets, that go for $50 were free. Discount them, but don't burn those that have shelled out a premium price.

If we are going to give freebies to fill up a anticipated small crowd, then lets be giving away the 'worst' seats, or alternatively open up an entire Bay for freebies. The Upper stand could have even have been opened for this purpose. 8,000 free tickets for upstairs.

I'll put it out there now. There will be free tickets available fro the Semi Final in Brisbane.

They get a ticket, she gets a ticket, he gets a ticket and you get a ticket!

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So it looks from reports in this thread that:

Aus v Lebanon - 22,000
NZL v Tonga - 20,000
PNG v USA - 15,000

These are all pretty good crowds!

Any update on the Perth double header?
Samoa v Scotland in Cairns?
Fiji v Italy in Canberra?

yakstorm

First Grade
I definitely wouldn't put 22K down for Australia v Lebanon yet... From giving away 'freebies' to RL games before, the take up rate for those handed out is generally only between 30-40% whilst those where people need to register online are about 60%...

This game has had both (freebies handed out at events plus free online registration)... I would guestimate we are looking at a crowd of about 15K (plus members) based upon current PAX numbers.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Given the extent of free tickets, who knows what to make of anything.

PNG will sort itself out as usual.

I agree again with your second point, and post earlier. Would it be fair to say that the Pacific Nations fans would also come out to support NZ in Wellington? Looks like under half the stadium is on sale? The Cake Tin in particular looks real bad when no one is there - is there much of a Lebanese community in Wellington?

Can't say in all my life I can recall seeing Lebanese people in NZ. I'm sure there would be a handful in the Wellington area.

Generally Wellington supports league ok. But at $70 a ticket on half way, I hope they do a big cull to $20 tickets or lots of freebies or else is going to look empty.

I live only 90 mins away, but will wait till they open more bays before I but a cheapie seat. I paid $50 for good seats for the Samoa Game, but can't justify spending $70 for a game that will more than likely be a miss match.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
For what it is worth, England RU could not fill their stadium in Manchester during the last world cup for their last (dead rubber) pool game. The game was on at the same time as the ESL grand final up the road mind you. Still.....

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-with-hosts-to-feel-like-visitors-in-hamilton

As of Thursday afternoon, tickets for this match, which kicks off at the friendlier time of 5pm, were said to have numbered 17,000. The game clashes with the All Whites' big football World Cup qualifier with Peru in Wellington, so may keep some flicking TV channels instead; and again rain is forecast, though again predicted to clear in the evening - as it did so wonderfully last weekend - so that may affect the walk-up contingent.

Pommy

Coach
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-with-hosts-to-feel-like-visitors-in-hamilton

As of Thursday afternoon, tickets for this match, which kicks off at the friendlier time of 5pm, were said to have numbered 17,000. The game clashes with the All Whites' big football World Cup qualifier with Peru in Wellington, so may keep some flicking TV channels instead; and again rain is forecast, though again predicted to clear in the evening - as it did so wonderfully last weekend - so that may affect the walk-up contingent.

Do kiwis really care about the all whites?

Suitman

Post Whore
Do kiwis really care about the all whites?

Are you serious? Of course they would.
Their national football team is in the final stage of qualifying for a world cup that might I say, is just a little larger than the RL world cup.
I may also add that our national football team (Socceroos) also has larger support for world cup qualifiers than our RL team.
I'm not sure why you'd be surprised by this?