What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

yakstorm

First Grade
The best thing that could happen for the RLWC is that Tonga upset New Zealand, and then New Zealand upset Australia at Suncorp in the Semi...

From there, it doesn't matter what happens...

Anyway onto sales... for whatever reason they still have a lot of tickets 'held back' at Allianz Stadium... surely after the freebie push, they should just put everything in the lower bowl on sale... after all they've now sold into every bay, so might as well just let people buy.

649 seats left for PNG v USA. In Canberra, half the bays that were on sale, now aren't, leaving a weird selection of available seats:
Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 1.18.31 pm.png

Meanwhile, Cairns has sold very very very few tickets... this is a danger game for lowest crowd honestly...

Burns

First Grade
The game tonight and Cairns will battle it out for rest crowd I think. Wouldn’t be surprised at 3,000 for both.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So the big crowd concerns are Canberra and Cairns. Sydney, I hope it succeeds a lot of expectations, 20,000 would be good but if we can crack the biggest home crowd against a lower teir side it would be good.

Billythekid

First Grade
I can't see these upsets happening personally. I think NZ will get the job done and Aus will waltz straight into the final. I agree that Tonga winning would shake up the whole tournament and would be fantastic for the crowds and ratings of the finals. It would be one of the best things to happen to International league in a while. Dont think it will happen.

The best thing that could happen for the RLWC is that Tonga upset New Zealand, and then New Zealand upset Australia at Suncorp in the Semi...

From there, it doesn't matter what happens...

Anyway onto sales... for whatever reason they still have a lot of tickets 'held back' at Allianz Stadium... surely after the freebie push, they should just put everything in the lower bowl on sale... after all they've now sold into every bay, so might as well just let people buy.

649 seats left for PNG v USA. In Canberra, half the bays that were on sale, now aren't, leaving a weird selection of available seats:
View attachment 16347

Meanwhile, Cairns has sold very very very few tickets... this is a danger game for lowest crowd honestly...

Tonight's game and the game in Cairns are looking to be shockers. I think Cairns will be worse but both will look awful on TV. I don't think there being played in the right place and the promotion has been awful. If you know you're looking at crowds as low as 3-4K might as well make tickets 5-10$ and give away a bunch of freebies. You're not making any money so might as well make it look good.

Still outside of those 2 matches it should be a decent week of crowds.

So the big crowd concerns are Canberra and Cairns. Sydney, I hope it succeeds a lot of expectations, 20,000 would be good but if we can crack the biggest home crowd against a lower teir side it would be good.

20K would be an easy pass mark for me. At the moment I'd probably be happy with 15K, I'd be ecstatic with 20K.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I'm looking forward to fiji vs Italy it's a shame it's not selling well, any idea on numbers for this one ?. Sounds like an overall positive for crowds this weekend

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Anecdotedly, there are nearly as many Crowd Watch thread pages as there are Game thread pages. I don't know whether this means anything on a deeper level. This tendancy is certainly inversed for other sports' world cups! Why is this so?

Shouldn't we be more interested in what is happening on the pitch, rather than off it?

Burns

First Grade
Anecdotedly, there are nearly as many Crowd Watch thread pages as there are Game thread pages. I don't know whether this means anything on a deeper level. This tendancy is certainly inversed for other sports' world cups! Why is this so?

Shouldn't we be more interested in what is happening on the pitch, rather than off it?
This thread has been here for 5 months.

Billythekid

First Grade

I've been watching the matches but haven't really been posting about them. I find crowds and statistics more interesting to post about. That plus there is so little discussion in the match threads it's barely worth it. Same reason I don't post in the storm section.

Ari Gold

Bench

+1

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Course they would be. Every team that plays England are always the favourites aren't they?

Haha I hear you - people are getting a little carried away England and New Zealand are a class above Tonga even with JT and Fifita. Tonga and NZ will be a cracker but New Zealand will end up a few tries clear by the full time siren.

Billythekid

First Grade
The ACT government must have paid big money for these games. NSW government didn’t even bother bidding for games..

I still question the level of negotiation. I find it very hard to believe that the NSW government wouldn't be interested in any matches not even finals. I dare say it was a failure of the organisers like so much of the rest of the tournament has been.

Stallion

First Grade
I still question the level of negotiation. I find it very hard to believe that the NSW government wouldn't be interested in any matches not even finals. I dare say it was a failure of the organisers like so much of the rest of the tournament has been.

New Zealand , PNG crowds are very good. Tv ratings are excellent. So its basically the Australian part of the crowds aspect thats been poor. Location of games has been an issue from the outset in OZ A bit of bad luck with weather for some games in OZ as well. Add to this poor and confusing ticketing policies in purchasing and allocation along with exhorbitant prices and it lends itself to substandard attendances in Australia.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Almost impossible to tell but that's about expected. One thing I will say is that the World Cup crowds seem to be much noisier than NRL crowds. For a lot of NRL matches they sound quiet even with 10-15K people. For these matches even the awful crowds sound very vocal.
Agreed. The Fiji versus Italy game sounds like there are many many people there!