What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 10 vs Bulldogs: Live Game-Day Thread!!

Why is it that supporters could see that there was going to be issues with the pack this season but the coach and recruitment staff couldn’t? A few said that the likes of Mannah and Alavaro are just bog average first graders. We couldn’t get out of our own half yesterday

We are in this position at the moment because:

- Recruitment

- Team believing the hype in the preseason thinking it will just happen

- team trying to take short cuts during the game and not doing the 1 percenters, that’s reflected in the amount of errors and penalties conceded. Although I rate Gutho his airswing yesterday which led to a try reflects the teams attitude, not putting your body on the line and doing the dirty work. All he had to do was dive in that ball but opted for the easy way out.

- Coaching, those out the back plays worked last year but we failed to evolve. And that’s on the coach. Although we did attempt to offload last night, too many times we waste tackles in atttack preparing for that one predictable play in the set. We don’t ask enough questions in attack but we have decent halves.

what an absolute waste of a season

Bazal

Post Whore
Why is it that supporters could see that there was going to be issues with the pack this season but the coach and recruitment staff couldn’t? A few said that the likes of Mannah and Alavaro are just bog average first graders. We couldn’t get out of our own half yesterday

We are in this position at the moment because:

- Recruitment

- Team believing the hype in the preseason thinking it will just happen

- team trying to take short cuts during the game and not doing the 1 percenters, that’s reflected in the amount of errors and penalties conceded. Although I rate Gutho his airswing yesterday which led to a try reflects the teams attitude, not putting your body on the line and doing the dirty work. All he had to do was dive in that ball but opted for the easy way out.

- Coaching, those out the back plays worked last year but we failed to evolve. And that’s on the coach. Although we did attempt to offload last night, too many times we waste tackles in atttack preparing for that one predictable play in the set. We don’t ask enough questions in attack but we have decent halves.

what an absolute waste of a season

The same supporters who tipped us almost to a man to make the finals, and make them well?

Revisionist history.

Kornstar

Coach
Confidence is a big thing, too. We have very little

Don’t get me wrong I know they could make the 8 and we have the team to make the 8 but the errors and discipline have been an issue for a long time and you can’t continually stay on that path as when your defence can’t back it up (like this year) then you miss the 8 like we will this year.

hybrideel

Bench
I like how all these people are seemingly in the know about the coaching staffs thoughts as well as every player they have shown interest in or attempted to sign. Because that is the only way they would know that no attempt has been made to sign any other forwards.
Personally I take the view that given we still have room in this year's cap and also still have a roster spot open, added the the talk of Paulo coming back, leans more towards the staff knowing full well where out weaknesses lie and have, and still are, attempting to address them.
Unfortunately players just don't become available when it suits us and any one we may get will likely be too late to save our season

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
If your entire team was 32 years old it would be a problem but having a few experienced heads isn't a bad thing. Plenty of players maintain good form well into their 30s.

hindy111

Post Whore
And that there lies the issue.
Who cares if ones older, time to let him go he is useless and offered nothing.
Gower is older yes, but is much more reliable with performances

Terepo is better and more reliable then Vave or Matagi and from what seen Evans.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Keeping Peni, won’t cost us signing a top 17 player.

Yeah he has his faults but always puts in compared to Matagi (goes missing, defensively poor) and Vave (unfit and lazy) and he is good defensively which is pretty important.

I would keep him. Don’t forget if we let Vave/matagi/Gower/Peni go we still need to replace them with 4 other middle forwards if BA keeps the same balance in the squad.

Gazzamatta

Coach
So do we keep Hayne? When he eventually (hopefully) gets some game time will he make a difference?
Im sure he'd love to stay but at what cost?
He must think its incredible coming from The NFL where he had to learn 500 plays and he now has to learn just 1.

lingard

Coach
BA certainly hasn’t lost the dressing room but there is obviously something fundamentally wrong with the coaching.

We have been riddled with errors and discipline issues for years but the specific difference last year was that we defended all the mistakes (until the last 2 games of the year) we made to win 16 games.

So either we don’t have the players for the game plans or they don’t do enough skill work.

Whether BA needs to go, or significant changes underneath him made will be decided by much more qualified people than me but something has to change for next year as this year is over.

Who doesn’t love being a Parra supporter??

I wish I was a Saints supporter. Unfortunately I'm not. I'll always be an Eels supporter. f**k it's been hard. All through the sixties, with it's share of wooden spoons and terrible reults; The early seventies were awful. Then a great ten year period from 1976 to 1986. Then another 14 year period of shit. Then highs and lows and frustrations and changing of boards and coaches and shit recruitment and turmoil and promises and lies. And now this. Well, better than being a North Sydney supporter, I suppose.

TheParraboy

Staff member
There's only one thing worse not being a dragons supporter but an eels one
And that is being a one eyed eels supporter living in the middle of Dragons territory at the moment

Massive pain in the butt tbh,..

emjaycee

Coach
I just caught up on a days worth of posts in this thread and for Hindy111 and anyone else suggesting that the season is gone so we may a well blood some youngster in preparation for 2019, are you aware there are only 2 we can blood being Salmon and Niukore.

Niukore has been on the fringe for a few weeks now and both Gazzamatta and I will be over the moon if he does debut soon. Salmon is returning from a serious neck injury and has played 2 or 3 ISP games which is his level of experience against grown men.

The new 30 player limit means you can't just bring players in from outside the top 30 when your current squad are not performing - Williams season ending injury may allow us to bring someone else in, such as Ray Stone but unless we give up the final top 30 spot to someone inside the club, there won't be a lot of blooding going on.

Bazal

Post Whore
I just caught up on a days worth of posts in this thread and for Hindy111 and anyone else suggesting that the season is gone so we may a well blood some youngster in preparation for 2019, are you aware there are only 2 we can blood being Salmon and Niukore.

Niukore has been on the fringe for a few weeks now and both Gazzamatta and I will be over the moon if he does debut soon. Salmon is returning from a serious neck injury and has played 2 or 3 ISP games which is his level of experience against grown men.

The new 30 player limit means you can't just bring players in from outside the top 30 when your current squad are not performing - Williams season ending injury may allow us to bring someone else in, such as Ray Stone but unless we give up the final top 30 spot to someone inside the club, there won't be a lot of blooding going on.

Salmon run was well and truly on in ISP today...

Gun running game. Not sure he looked like an actual half but it's only one game in Reggies

T.S Quint

Coach
I'm really upset about losing this game.
Went out into the freezing cold to watch that utter garbage (from both the Eels and the referees).
Actually, I quite enjoyed the first half. Was quite entertaining. Second half was an absolute slog.
We had our chances. We couldn't capitalise. Or actually we did capitalise, but the video ref saw fit to take it away from us for no reason. I'm always sad when we lose, doubly so when it's against the Dogs. Triply so when we lose the way we did...f**k me, Gutho really screwed that one up didn't he.