What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 16: Eels v Sea Eagles (Arthur Family Cup) GAME DAY THREAD

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think you’ll find that they adapt their attack. Vs Storm or Penrith offloads are high risk, but that’s the only way to upset their structures.

Why play high risk footy last night when you don’t have too ?
Also, we lacked the cattle to benefit from high risk footy. Moses and Drown are very quick and work hard off the ball, which suits an offloading team. Matterson and Asi are better off receiving the ball in structure.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon they didn't seem as prominent as I can't recall a significant play off the back of an offload, mostly just a meterage gain. Normally that'd be where a coupla line breaks or tries, or nice shifts would come from.

Last night we just took the meters on offer and took the tackle,
Completions were higher last night than our season average. Manly's were atrocious.

yy_cheng

Coach
It's a bit different. 10% more decoys this year, 10% fewer support runs. Tries are up about 10% (from 4.1 per game to 4.5) but set completions are down (79.3% to 74.7%) which has put pressure on our defence. The biggest difference is we are making a lot more line breaks this year: 4.6 per game to 5.4, which is an increase of about 17% however that measures a change in outcomes and not necessarily a change in tactics.

The eye test says our attack is a bit different and this is supported by the increase in decoys and the decrease in set completions. We are definitely shifting the ball earlier.

13.7 per game last year to 12.9 this year. Not much of a decrease but you're right. I only noticed by looking at the stats but well done to you for spotting a 6% decrease in offloads.

We threw 13 in yesterday's game. Penisini topped the count with 3.
Thanks. I agree about the decoys though hard to see on tv. I think it was daveys line which threw ja out for baileys first try

The panfers and souths have decoys everywhere and i see that now in some of our plays

The thing for us now is to ensure the decoy keeps running through the line and not stop halfway and obstruct

yy_cheng

Coach
At the ground his high kicks just seemed to float and stay in the air a long time. The thing that stuck out to me he didn't just kick the bladder out of them like Burton does with very little accuracy. He sacrificed a bit of height to pin manly down in their 10 but gave enough for the chasers to either contest or be on top of them when the ball was caught.

Mid-60% possession definitely helps with all these effort areas
From memory, he seems to kick the pointy part of the ball rather than the belly

TheCrowe

Juniors
At the ground his high kicks just seemed to float and stay in the air a long time. The thing that stuck out to me he didn't just kick the bladder out of them like Burton does with very little accuracy. He sacrificed a bit of height to pin manly down in their 10 but gave enough for the chasers to either contest or be on top of them when the ball was caught.

Mid-60% possession definitely helps with all these effort areas
They certainly had some problems taking is kicks where normally our kicks are taken without any drama.

Gronk

Staff member
Manly fans are carrying on that no one from Manly never made that statement back in round 3 and Queen Gutho they call him is just stirring shit haha.

They will never forgive him even though they were the dopes who let him go.
Manly fans sitting in front of us a few down were giving it to Saab all night. Like really nasty yelling and swearing. Jason even looked up our way at one point.

Some merkins just need a scapegoat to blame and theirs was Saab last night. Ouch. Weapons grade toxic negativity, but they all thought it was hilarious.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Remember when Yates and Hands forced Rein out of Cup ? Or was that Dr Evil, I mean BA ? Has Rein been seen since ? Coincidence?
Not sure they forced him out. Rein was the only genuine 9. Obviously other issues but like most, not having watched many Cup games its hard to know. Yates is now injured and Hands wont be going back so your point is lost on me. So. Where is Rein?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Manly fans are carrying on that no one from Manly never made that statement back in round 3 and Queen Gutho they call him is just stirring shit haha.

I actually searched for the quote last night and couldn’t find it. They might have a point.

Gronk

Staff member
Not sure they forced him out. Rein was the only genuine 9. Obviously other issues but like most, not having watched many Cup games its hard to know. Yates is now injured and Hands wont be going back so your point is lost on me. So. Where is Rein?
Well your hasty conclusion of Rein being “another” player being frozen out by BA is lost on me. There could be a dozen reasons why he’s unavailable.

JokerEel

Coach
Well your hasty conclusion of Rein being “another” player being frozen out by BA is lost on me. There could be a dozen reasons why he’s unavailable.

That's such a weird call Rein frozen out by BA..

What's he frozen out of the NSW cup side 🤣

Gazzamatta

Coach

They would take him back in a heartbeat.

Delboy

First Grade
There may be something in that Rein didn’t want to go around again this year, he was approached to help the club out as they weren’t sure of Hodgson,s fitness and what other options we had. Obviously that was before Hands broke out, and they signed Luke , probably a quiet retirement is possibly the reason.

According to those who watch, Rein has not been at training for some time either.

Gazzamatta

Coach
You dont appreciate the dramatic effect?
Maybe he was mates with Nathan Brown (player not coach). Looks like weve confused each other Gronky. 😁

Remember when Yates and Hands forced Rein out of Cup ? Or was that Dr Evil, I mean BA ? Has Rein been seen since ? Coincidence?
He was replaced around the 35min mark of the home Cup game against the Dogs, and hasn't been sighted on field since... Would be nice for the club to clarify on the website the current status of this top 30 player - injury, agreed leave, contract ended with mutual agreement, etc?

Gronk

Staff member
He was replaced around the 35min mark of the home Cup game against the Dogs, and hasn't been sighted on field since... Would be nice for the club to clarify on the website the current status of this top 30 player - injury, agreed leave, contract ended with mutual agreement, etc?
True, but if it’s a mental health thing, then maybe it’s none of our business?