What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 4 Team vs Wtigers

lingard

Coach
Who says he didn't have confidence in French at fullback? Just as likely is he didn't have confidence in Hayne at centre, and moved him to fullback to try and get him more involved in attack. Only one bloke can play fullback at a time so French moved to the wing. It wasn't because French 'failed' at fullback or whatever sensational narrative people want to spin.

I wasn't spinning a sensational narrative. I actually think moving Hayne to fullback had more to do with strengthening the fullback position than in giving Hayne more opportunities to get involved. Not that French failed as such, but his style and stature are not suited at fullback behind a weak pacķ of forwards. Also, historically, Hayne has been much better as a last line of defence than Bevan.

lingard

Coach
Pritchard is as good as King, just very different. Neither is better than the other, and I doubt the coach rates either of them higher. He has to pick someone at the start of the season. Last year it was Pritchard, this year it was King. Neither is contracted for 2019.

I think King is better overall. Pritchard will offer bursts of enthusiasm. I doubt Pritchard would be a starting hooker at any other club.

lingard

Coach
And I think we scored 4 ourselves in those 2 games didn't we?
The difference being 5 goals in each game.

So with Scott playing we got beaten by conversions and discipline?

Proves Scott is a bad influence on our discipline. (And he lets in too many goals.)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I wasn't spinning a sensational narrative. I actually think moving Hayne to fullback had more to do with strengthening the fullback position than in giving Hayne more opportunities to get involved. Not that French failed as such, but his style and stature are not suited at fullback behind a weak pacķ of forwards. Also, historically, Hayne has been much better as a last line of defence than Bevan.
The first line of defence is actually much more important than the last line. It's why so many little blokes get hidden at fullback.

By the time an attacker gets to the fullback with support it doesn't usually matter how good he is in defence.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Wing is our weakest position and Hayne is our best winger. But the media narrative of 'dropped' to the wing could be a massive distraction.

Not if Hayne has matured enough as man it wouldn't be. It's pretty clear we are missing Semi, in terms of replacing any player in our squad from last year, it would be either Semi or Gunco who would be the biggest boots to fill ( Ignoring Brown on account of Hayne isn't about to join the pigs )

As far as need goes, we don't need Hayne the playmaker, we could really use Hayne the game breaker, and I reckon he'd serve that purpose on the wing at this point better than any other position. Scoring a few meat pies from the wing would silence the deathriders fairly quickly.

Gronk

Staff member
Problem is, hayne just isnt a game breaker anymore .... he's barely the shadow of his former self's shadow

Have you made the final call ? I wouldn’t.

The man that was once called Puddin has had no ball like the rest of the backs.

strider

Post Whore

Seen nothing to change my mind from what i already believed from his time at the titans

Was willing to believe/hope maybe it was all just a bad situation for him up there and a return to parra would spark something - but i've seen nothing yet

He is now going to miss a quarter of the season from an injury kicking the ball off a tee to start a game ... ffs thats something i would do but im damn near 50, not 30.

hindy111

Post Whore

I remember in 2001 when we ripped teams apart David Vaeliki looked like one of the best centres in the game.
Centre is a position that gets reflected on teams performance. Look add blow job leilua or Croker. Talked for origin in 2016. Are they no average?

Cloeel

Juniors
Seen nothing to change my mind from what i already believed from his time at the titans

Was willing to believe/hope maybe it was all just a bad situation for him up there and a return to parra would spark something - but i've seen nothing yet

He is now going to miss a quarter of the season from an injury kicking the ball off a tee to start a game ... ffs thats something i would do but im damn near 50, not 30.

It is bloody frustrating isn’t it?
I have a good feeling about the next few weeks it would have been good to see Gutho come in and be on a roll with Hayne playing well!

hindy111

Post Whore
I feel BA has gone for a smallish pack and Kennies words for once make sense. The workers need to offload.
I dont see us competing with bigger packs but wesring them down with one up running. We need to wear them down with more running around. Offloads tire teams put and create space. BA hasnt the team to play safe footy. We ant to win we need a style where games become a shoot out. Not a grind. The big powerfull guys will wear us put that way. We need to stop playing to their style and go to war on our terms. Just like when we beat Brconos 50 -32 or whatever it was.

Kornstar

Coach
Gee you’re confident.

As soon as we were hyped in the off season i had zero confidence in this year and expected nothing from this season.

As a club we have not been able to cope with any hype and so far they have played like each and every other time we've been in this position.

As doom and gloom as it seems i wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if we got the spoon OR only come good when all expectations are gone.......it is just one of the benefits of loving this club!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I feel BA has gone for a smallish pack and Kennies words for once make sense. The workers need to offload.
I dont see us competing with bigger packs but wesring them down with one up running. We need to wear them down with more running around. Offloads tire teams put and create space. BA hasnt the team to play safe footy. We ant to win we need a style where games become a shoot out. Not a grind. The big powerfull guys will wear us put that way. We need to stop playing to their style and go to war on our terms. Just like when we beat Brconos 50 -32 or whatever it was.
I explained in the other thread why just throwing more offloads isn't the answer. We need more support runners. That way you don't even need to throw more passes. The support runners will draw defenders away and make it easier for the bloke with the ball.

This was the key to our team last year.