What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 4 Team vs Wtigers

Gazzamatta

Coach
I explained in the other thread why just throwing more offloads isn't the answer. We need more support runners. That way you don't even need to throw more passes. The support runners will draw defenders away and make it easier for the bloke with the ball.

This was the key to our team last year.
So why arent we doing exactly that?
Fitness?
Enthusiasm?
Dont give a f***?

IFR33K

Coach
I explained in the other thread why just throwing more offloads isn't the answer. We need more support runners. That way you don't even need to throw more passes. The support runners will draw defenders away and make it easier for the bloke with the ball.

This was the key to our team last year.

Also, Pritchard will be a welcomed addition to the team. His energy around the ruck will be huge for the team. He’s always backing up as well. He’ll take a lot of pressure off our halves.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So why arent we doing exactly that?
Fitness?
Enthusiasm?
Dont give a f***?
Heavy possession against is taking the energy out of them. By the time we recover it's time to defend another three sets. We need to get to our kick more often, especially early in the game when the damage is done.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Since it's a position that needs to be filled I reckon the fix might be to play both of them in the 17. The alternative is one of them for 80 minutes.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Heavy possession against is taking the energy out of them. By the time we recover it's time to defend another three sets. We need to get to our kick more often, especially early in the game when the damage is done.
Chicken and egg stuff Poo. Pennys had heaps less posession but did all the little things right last night. There is more to it than just blaming lack of posession. BA needs to find the symptom because running one out isnt a cure. It will never solve the lack of posession.

lingard

Coach
Since it's a position that needs to be filled I reckon the fix might be to play both of them in the 17. The alternative is one of them for 80 minutes.

We need to play two hookers. Neither of them gives enough value over 80 minutes. Smith could be considered in that algorithm as well.

lingard

Coach

Yes, we've had heavy possession against us. But there can be multiple reasons for that. And when possession is that lop-sided it isn't just bad luck.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Chicken and egg stuff Poo. Pennys had heaps less posession but did all the little things right last night.
They had 48% of the ball and only attempted an extra 23 tackles. We attempted over 100 tackles more than the Sharks last week and 149 more than Manly the week before. In round one the Panthers only attempted 25 more tackles than us. That difference is negligible in a game where over 700 tackles were made.

Don't just rely on qualitative comparisons as the lazy thinker's substitute for quantitative analysis. The scale of the difference in possession is of far more importance than the mere fact of a possession discrepancy. Given 600+ tackles in any given game I would be astounded if the possession in a match was exactly equal. But 25 tackles either side of parity is as good as equal possession.
There is more to it than just blaming lack of posession. BA needs to find the symptom because running one out isnt a cure. It will never solve the lack of posession.
I am certain that running one out is not in the game plan.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, we've had heavy possession against us. But there can be multiple reasons for that. And when possession is that lop-sided it isn't just bad luck.
Except we had even possession in Penrith. The two games since is hardly a significant sample.

Eelogical

Referee
They had 48% of the ball and only attempted an extra 23 tackles. We attempted over 100 tackles more than the Sharks last week and 149 more than Manly the week before. In round one the Panthers only attempted 25 more tackles than us. That difference is negligible in a game where over 700 tackles were made.

Don't just rely on qualitative comparisons as the lazy thinker's substitute for quantitative analysis. The scale of the difference in possession is of far more importance than the mere fact of a possession discrepancy. Given 600+ tackles in any given game I would be astounded if the possession in a match was exactly equal. But 25 tackles either side of parity is as good as equal possession.

I am certain that running one out is not in the game plan.

There's more possession in this post that in The Exorcist.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I am certain that running one out is not in the game plan.[/QUOTE]

I read a lot of pre season reports mentioning skill sessions and ball playing. Not seen much evidence of that.
Players response to poor posession appears to be dont use the ball for fear of losing it. When you arent bending the line It aint gunna work I'm afraid

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I read a lot of pre season reports mentioning skill sessions and ball playing. Not seen much evidence of that.
Players response to poor posession appears to be dont use the ball for fear of losing it. When you arent bending the line It aint gunna work I'm afraid
Did you miss the bit where I said there is no merkin to pass to because they are all rooted from defending?